The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Discussion in 'Nintendo Consoles' started by AMLagonda, Jun 15, 2016.

1. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Got my switch today. Zelda tonight :D

Any suggestions once i've setup the switch? I plan on just exploring and effing around for a while to get used to it all.

2. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Eh, just play.

Game flows pretty naturally and half the fun is figuring out how to best use the physics system to aid movement and combat.

3. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

Too be honest if i had the option of some second screen functionality like map and inventory, I'd still turn off most of the HUD and play with a pro controller. It's less fatiguing to hold the much lighter controller, the battery lasts more than 20 minutes, and the 2nd screen stuff just takes you out of the game anyway even if it adds some convenience.

Annoyingly there are a few puzzles in the game that require the motion sensors in the gamepad so you have to pick it up a few times. Also needed for amiibos if you're using them.

As above, just play. My tip would be don't go looking at any guides or any starting information or any 'best items' or best missions to do first or anything like that for a while. Just get in there, do the starter area and adventure on to wherever you feel like going. There is nothing stopping you from going wherever you want. There is no first mission, no first dungeon. There's one area that it tries to draw you too first with the main quest but do whatever you want whenever you want. It's quite wonderful to see something in the distance and go 'wtf is that, I think i'll go there' and be able to without any barriers.

4. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

thanks guys pro controller it is, thank god the gamepad is annoying lol

5. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

anyone know of any pro controllers where the 4 buttons are located similar to Xbox/Ps? (not ordering of letters but location of 4 buttons)

When resting finger on controller I think X is Y

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  6. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Sunk a few hours in since last night. I have competed the first area and now i've just started wandering. Found and beat a shrine right near a horse stable to the east.

7. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

this game is pretty insane, most things you think "itd be cool if I could do this" actually work.. can tell they put so much thought into it.

8. HSV

HSV Member

Couple of quick Q's - don't get much time to play, but loving it when I do :).

Is there any way to get rid of shields you don't want - finding better shields but not being able to pick them up because you've got a full inventory of shitty boko shields is annoying!

Also, is there any way to throw away/discard weapons that won't "throw" normally - namely the shitty big leaf which I've ended up with two of?

9. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Yep, go into inventory, then to the shields sub menu, select the one you want to lose and pick drop. Same for bows

10. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

be good if you could throw shields and bows..

Am enjoying game, I just wish I felt about it how I did Ocarina of time, I think that game cant be beat for me as I was young & and it was first of its kind for me.

Still I think this will make my top 10 of all time.

11. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

I did the final mission the other day, little bit too easy, but the game overall was very good.

don't know that I care to play it again, not soon anyway.

12. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Loving the game, but I must admit i think Horizon Zero Dawn was a better game and far more engaging.

13. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Lots of folks are saying this. Sounds like it was designed to be a bit easier for folks who wanted to speed run, and anyone who invested time in getting most of the gear/shrines ended up being a bit overpowered.

But, to be fair, Zelda games were never difficult if you "did them right". Even Majora's Mask, which was renowned for being crazy hard, but really wasn't if you got the right masks before the final battle.

14. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

If you haven't gotten to it yet don't read the below spoiler

Basically the four divine beasts knock ganon's health to 50%
    as soon as the fight starts, and the second stage of the battle he turns into basically a mini divine beast which is super easy

15. samos

samos Member

Gannon was far too easy.
    But, then again, I was way OP.

The goron feature is crazy good.

I've been meaning to finish off even though I am done. Still a lot of side quests to do.

I might just wait for the DLC.. eta?

16. stitch512

stitch512 Member

Over 80 shrines down, all 4 divine beasts are also done...9 kurok seeds located lol. Will probably get the 120 shrines done and then finally finish the game. Overall its been pretty good but honestly not the best Zelda.

I just can't ever see myself playing it again after I have finished it.

17. scon

scon Member

I'm playing H:ZD now after playing LoZ and while I'm enjoying it, after playing LoZ it feels incredibly limiting. The climbing in particular feels very jarring after LoZ - much more the Uncharted style where there are defined hand holds. The combat is more fun and the story a bit more coherent in H:ZD but overall I enjoyed the freedom that LoZ provided - not to mention the fact that I played it almost entirely portable.

18. hlokk

hlokk Member

How do you cope with such few weapon slots :confused:

19. stitch512

stitch512 Member

I avoid combat a lot. All my weapons are also very good and were lasting me ages. I honestly have had very little issue with how many weapons I have had for ages now. I might actually start looking out for the seeds now though whilr im searching for more shrines, I got up to 90 shrines completed last night and going to aim for another 5 tonight.

20. power

power Member

anyone tried the emulated version yet? 4K Zelda, now we're talking :)

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017...eath-of-the-wild-looks-like-at-4k-resolution/