The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Discussion in 'Nintendo Consoles' started by AMLagonda, Jun 15, 2016.

1. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

You know I'm a huge emulator fan, so I hope you understand this comes from a place of love, not anger. But please, can we refrain from posting CEMU stuff here?

Emulation *should* be about preservation. CEMU users on the whole aren't the sorts of folks who are buying legitimate copies of BotW and paying their license fees. Day-zero emulation of games is arguably not about the good hearted intention of preservation and ensuring hard working developers get their legitimate financial reward for their work.

I don't want to start a war over it. I've mentioned this elsewhere and made folks really angry, and I know it's a difficult distinction to make for some of us who spend a hell of a lot of cash on gaming and do the right thing where and when we can.

But this needs to be looked at on a case by case example. While we're all off buying copies of games off GoG to do our retro play throughs, BotW is pirated days after release, and that's not cool.

If you're interested in the technical aspect of this, there's a quarter of a million videos on YouTube according to my search just now. But this isn't a twitchy FPS, or a serious online competitive game, nor an arcade bullet-hell shmup or fighting game. Sure, 4K BotW is pretty, but the quality of what's on offer both on Switch and WiiU is amazing.

I hope folks appreciate where I'm coming from on this. When it becomes difficult/impossible to buy an old game (and by "buy", I mean get your money directly to IP holding developers/publishers), then emulation is there to save us. But this isn't that use case, and I hope we can avoid this turning into a "4K 144FPS PC master race!", or a "Nintendo are evil for making Nintendo games and should release on everything regardless of their financial loss" style discussion.

2. power

power Member

fair point and I do understand where you are coming from, but! I do think the Wii U will get dropped very quickly from Nintendo's portfolio - these emulators help people especially keep alive digital releases when the inevitable shutting down of these storefronts, from a preservation perspective keep this in mind the only things ninty will "bring back" is those things they can milk people for everything else will get lost in the digital void.

Nintendo, make once and sell to you as many times as humanly possible.

BoTW was actually leaked early on Wii U not after a few days too :)

No war, I promise - but Wii U emulation, I'm all for it as it feels like a platform that may only be kept alive that way - BoTW is a bit of an exception being cross Nintendo platform so it's a bit of a side effect of the project.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  3. elvis

Agreed, and I can separate these concepts. I think discussion of platform preservation deserves its own thread, and its own serious discussion.

BotW on the other hand plays perfectly on WiiU and Switch, the latter of which is not going away for a long time. This is a first party flagship title released by a company that makes sure there's enough prints of their popular games for everyone to buy it new over the course of the platform's life. There's no urgency to rush out and emulate BotW right now (and let's be frank, emulation of a modern system to get the speeds they're getting won't be MAME-style cycle-for-cycle accuracy, but rather a HLE-style approximation to put playing games miles ahead of accuracy and documentation).

I think OCAU does an excellent job of staying honest, and separating the concepts of preservation and piracy. If we want to talk about CEMU, let's talk about it honestly in its own thread, and what people are doing to preserve threatened software. But I feel absolutely no need to talk about emulation of a title that has just celebrated one month of being on store shelves on two different platforms that are showing zero signs of availability issues (even with one of them being discontinued, stock levels are still high).

4. azzachaz

azzachaz Member

Did some shrine hunting yesterday and knocked off a few more.

Hidden shrine behind ice and then Major Test of Strength is just cruel :)

Took out my first lynel and dragon, was heaps of fun.
    Upgraded all Sheika slate at the tech lab.

I had no idea you could Statis monsters! Makes things so much easier.

Going to go for my fourth Devine Beast tonight :)

5. Szemen

Szemen Member

That would've come after you upgraded the Sheikh slate :) It's an awesome technique to take down those larger and harder foes.

6. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

Had to give it a try, it pretty cool that it's able to run...

7. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Given nintendo's relationship with youtube... I'd be setting that video to private if you haven't already.

8. elvis

Great, there are now 250,001 videos on YouTube of someone playing a boring half hour through the emulator instead of direct stream. How unique.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  9. jpw007

jpw007 Member

I'll stick to the switch :thumbup:

We have a Wii-U, but the only game i've ever played on it was Super Luigi U. I should really find out if there are any other decent games. I wanna play the other Zelda's, but part of me would rather just wait and get them on Switch if they're re-released. I was never a fan of the Wii-U.

10. hlokk

hlokk Member

Super Mario 3D world :thumbup:

Trying to complete my compendium and need a Blue Maned Lynel, but all the Lynels are now Silver only :upset:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  11. stitch512

stitch512 Member

119 shrines completed. Final one is eventide island, will try to complete that tonight. I feel like I might be a little too OP for the final boss now.

12. hlokk

hlokk Member

I loved eventide. One of my favourite bits of the game.

13. azzachaz

azzachaz Member

4th Divine Beast last night.

Was up to 2am completing that and exploring Death Mountain. Couldn't leave it because I was scared the kids would get into it, school holidays have started.

14. elvis

This is where I am right now. My son's already completed it, and is going back to 100% it. My wife is right into it. The weekend is pretty much my only gaming time, and the Switch is in use then.

Guess I gotta wait a fortnight before I can get to it again. :(

15. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

After playing with BotW (alternatively) for a bit I am hooked, so went and picked up a Switch and the game :)

Great piece of hardware so far.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  16. elvis

Careful. This post is a literal admission that you pirated the game first, regardless of what came after.

I warned that CEMU talk would lead this thread here. I'm recommending for a second time that people knock it off.

17. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

Yeah, fair point, changed the wording...

18. azzachaz

azzachaz Member

With all 4 beasts done i've decided to do some side quests and explore a bit.

Managed to get some Guardian Armour and upgrade it with the fairy. Had to spend a fair bit of time hunting Guardians to get enough parts for the tech lab. I always seemed to not get enough of a certain Guardian part and excess of others.
    I hadn't been to see the fairy for a while and had so much available to upgrade it took me 15 minutes just to click through it :)

19. azzachaz

azzachaz Member

'Finished' the game over the weekend.

I really enjoyed the final boss battle(s), even if it wasn't too hard now that I have leveled up a fair bit.

Although I was left feeling a bit empty being dumped back to the last save point after the credits rolled. And why did Zelda ask if I knew her? Did I miss something to change that ending?

I've kept on going for shrines and side quest now. Still heaps of fun and puzzles everywhere. I have found if you travel by foot you find heaps of 'things' rather than gliding from point to point all the time.

20. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Did you complete the photos/memories quest line? That's where almost all of the plot for the game's core story is delivered