The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Discussion in 'Nintendo Consoles' started by AMLagonda, Jun 15, 2016.

1. roamin

roamin Member

im currently half way through wind waker. finished all of botw already and played many others

the one thing i do when i get stuck is look up zelda dungeons website. i checkout the walkthroughs or guides, find wher e im up to quickly scanning through, look back in the guide to see if i missed anything or look forward if i dont know where to go.

i dont follow guides/walkthroughs but i certainly use them to work out where i need to go for the next area i need to clear.

check this walkthrough http://www.zeldadungeon.net/breath-of-the-wild-walkthrough/

also for random info check this https://www.zeldadungeon.net/wiki/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_Breath_of_the_Wild

dont give up yet, it is a sensational game. i dont say that often but i had to jump in and help out as much as i could for you.

Drizz06 and walker_2003 like this.
  2. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

I haveant touched this in AGES....I should

3. jpw007

jpw007 Member

If you're looking for a game with direction it's not really it tbh. You just need to go explore the map. You'll come across heaps of the dungeons to get hearts/stamina pieces things (it's been a little over a year since i played so i'm hazey...) and along the way you'll get some sidequests etc.

Most of the fun in this game is from exploring imo.

elvis and colmaz like this.
  4. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

Also worth noting there isn't a set way you have to do thing, can derp around and get most of the content done in any order you please.

5. colmaz

colmaz Member

As jpw and smeg said, you explore to uncover more of the game. You'll get more quests that way. I aim to find the tower of the region first and then strike out for shrines to get more hearts/stamina. There are also the memories to look for. I find that they are a good puzzle :) I really want/need to get back into BotW.

Lynals? I still haven't gotten past one yet, lol. I want to build up some hearts and stamina. In the meantime, I steer clear of them

Also, the walkthroughs are good for a guide. I've been using the IGN one as a general guide on what to do for each region of the map.

6. jpw007

jpw007 Member

I remember Lynals being an asbolute bitch for a while :lol:

I reckon i'd struggle with most enemies when i pick it back up again which i keep planning to do so i can play the DLC (own but not used as i finished before it was released nad moved on to other game/s)

7. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Between the extreme emptiness of the world vs other open world games and weapons breaking stupidly quick I am struggling to enjoy this anyway near OOT but I'll hang in there.

Turns out I just had to talk to a guy before charging at the devine beast but had to quit the fight mid way through as both my bows broke. Such a stupid part of game, a better option would be a degrading quality system not pure steel shattering after a few fleshy strikes.

8. simontifik

simontifik Member

What makes you say the world is empty? It’s my fav open world map of any game. There’s so much cool geography to explore. I just loved seeing what was over the next hill.

The weapon degradation is annoying at the start of the game but by the time you unlock more slots and find late game weapons it’s a nonissue. My advice always equip and use your best weapons. There’s no point hoarding better ones and just breaking heaps of crap ones. The better weapons have higher durability and by the time you break it you’ll pick up something just as good.

9. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Just lots of large areas with literally nothing not even a tree. But still plenty to find. I got a sword that does 50 damage but don't want to waste it haha most my other stuff is around 20.

I must admit it's a great system where you can go anywhere though and the gliding/skiing is good and other open world games feel clunky in comparison.

10. power

power Member

I never did get around to trying to "ski". This didn't seem like it would be that great a way to get around.

11. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

It's a bit silly when gliding is more effective and skiing damages shields but it is fun.

12. Armunn

Armunn Member

Only on grass, skiing in snow or sand doesn't damage shields, and was a pretty good way to get around the desert areas.

walker_2003 likes this.
  13. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Ah good to know.

14. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

I've now had and been playing the game for 6 months...

after 1 week of the game and a switch:

Breath of the wild has taught me a lesson I've already known.. Never love anything! I've had 3 horses.. 1 vanished for no reason, one got stuck on some rocks and I couldn't get it out after 2 hours, and one fell off a cliff into some water and no where to swim back to me...

I was thoroughly enjoying the game. BUT then there was a shrine where you had to tilt the switch to roll a ball like one of those Labyrinth puzzles... THE FUCKING LAG and the 40+ minutes trying to pass it ALMOST ruined the whole game..
    If you want to put a Labyrinth puzzle in MAKE SURE YOUR DEVICE DOESN'T HAVE A FUCKING LAG TO THE FUCKING INPUT... RARRRHHHHHH!!!!
    I am really good at those puzzles IRL.. I have a steady hand, and patience enough to do even the hardest of them... Even with wood or plastic that has variants and imperfections and dips/rises... so if it has even 1/100,000th of a second of lag means they SHOULDN'T HAVE PUT THE FUCKING THING IN THE GAME...
    SERIOUSLY.. the lag is like half to 3 quarters of a fucking second...

I'll spend 2 hours trying to save my horse and feel sad that it can't be done.. But after 40 minutes of doing a fucking stupid laggy tilt puzzle that's there for the gimmick of just having "motion controls" I was about ready to throw in the towel, then passed it by a fluke.. I tipped the whole board upside down and made a potshot and it went in lmao...
    I promptly cheered myself up by more archery on horses..

Also fishing seems easier... I remember in links awakening, you had to pay some rubies, then got like a mini game where you cast off and tried to catch the big fish to make money.. In this you just wander into some water and hit A to grab a fish next to you... WTF.. FISHING DOESN'T WORK LIKE THAT!!!
    Also in this game, you can't just pick up an item and leg it when the shop keeper isn't looking. That was the best part of Links awakening... STEALING SHIT!
    Also in this game, I am happy that Punting chickens too many times mean they call on more to attack you.. 10/10

These aspects may have been present in other Zelda games (I know for a fact that horses and fishing have been in other games) But this feels more like the only Zelda game that was ever any good!

The only other problem with the system, and thus any game I play is me... After 2+ decades of A being at the bottom, B being above to the right, X above to the left, and Y at the top... It's taking some time to get used to the way of having A,B, X and Y in the wrong fucking place...
    I know the SNES had them this way... But gaming has come a LONG way since then.. and Sega, Microsoft and even Sony with stupid symbles accept that A/cross/OK/GO/YES is the bottom most button on the controller..

The last Nintendo system I owned that used this Stupid way of the buttons was the SNES.. The 64 had A and B mixed up because of the C buttons but A was at the bottom, and it made sense... The gamecube had a massive A button, and that made sense too..
    A should be at the fucking bottom, B should be above and to the right, X should be above and to the left.. and Y should be at the top...

Nintendo didn't invent video games, And haven't perfected them... SO ADAPT TO THE FUCKING INDUSTRY STANDARD OF PUTTING BUTTONS IN THE RIGHT GOD DAMN PLACE!!! Even Sony wanted X to mean no, and O to mean yes... But they adapted, and now X means yes...
    Prime example of how how Nintendo is getting it wrong.. B is accelerate in SNES Mario kart..
    SO JUST MAKE A accelerate and put the button where it belongs... After getting used to this backwards ass control scheme it's gonna be a pain going back to Xbox, playstation and PC..

After 2 weeks:

Overall I am liking it, it’s been a mostly fun experience and even when it frustrates the shit out of me the payoff is decent.

But tonight I think I’ve gone too fast. Did the first divine beast easily, gone to do the second and just get my ass handed to me..
    Happy to report tilt thing has only been back once and it was optional.

I am liking the exploring and most of the combat.
    The puzzles seem to have the learning curve of a cliff though. one puzzle roll a ball into a hole to unlock door... next minute go to this platform then spin level 90 degrees, then use magnets then spin back 45 degrees, walk through door then spin platform 180 degrees, shoot thing with arrow then repeat with 2 more platforms...

Jesus Christ, I just spent 2 seconds on a puzzle and then the very next one takes 2 hours to work this shit out? Wtf?

Happily there was a mission that wanted stealth and I was able to brute force my way through it.
    Sneaking past guards sucks in any game. fortunately botw let me shoot the fuck out of the guards with bomb arrows. [​IMG]

In short, I like the game but there’s been a couple of “oh come on” moments that really don’t need to be there.
    Not as good as links awakening, better than every other Zelda game because I’m still playing it.

after 2 months:

I've kept BOTW and am currently playing through it again.. Finding lots of stuff I didn't see the first time, and doing things I know in a better order..

On the second playthrough, some things are better, most are the same and a few things have gotten worse.
    Doing 3 of the divine beasts before the fucking camel has saved a lot of headache... Fucking camel!! just as bad now..
    I did find out on my second playthrough I can own a house though, which is amazing.. Only problem is the builders wouldn't fuck off after the work was done, they just bum around my cooking pot.. FUCK OFF, THE WORK IS DONE, GO HOME!!! But then I built a town from scratch, and the builders fucked off for a wedding... BUT WHEN THEY FUCKED OFF my sign that said links house started glitching, and I don't want to talk to the fuckers after the wedding because they will come back and bum around my cooking pot again.
    Pleb mobs are even more annoying now.. I've maxed out armour, and weapons, and done 117 shrines... Random fucking Yiga clan people and goblins with 50HP try to fight me.. FUCK OFF AND LET ME EXPLORE... WHEN I FUCKED YOUR LEADER OVER I WANTED TO FIGHT BETTER PEOPLE THAN YOU, let me look for my hearty radishes so I can walk up to guardians and fight them with literal sticks in peace...
    Only fights in the whole game that shit me now are Molduga and Lynels.. Why the fuck is every incarnation of Ganon easier than random fucking Minotaurs??

Also I found something on this playthrough that broke my heart so, so much.. When My first horse Bojack died, I had no idea there was a horse god who could bring horses back from the dead... That would have been amazing to get my first horse back on the first playthrough..

Second playthrough is MUCH more enjoyable than the first though, because all the bullshit shrine puzzles and convoluted divine beast bullshit make sense and I can focus on finding all the cool things I missed.. The shrine quests are actually a highlight.. Some light riddles that actually make sense when you think about them.. Not revolving platforms fucking endlessly for hours on end..

This time I also know.. Never sell ANYTHING, because I will need it eventually.. Hoarding 101

6 months and third playtrhrough:

I can see why fans of older Zelda games might not like BOTW's direction though.. it's actually a good game lol.
    and I can see why RPG fans wouldn't like it as well, it has a bit of busy work quests and the final pay off is not SUPER good.
    There are some problems with it. But it's enjoyable enough for what it is.

I am saddened they're potentially fucking up links awakening remake though. It was a portable benchmark.. you forgot you were playing on a 3 inch screen in black and green, and had a really good time with a nice story attached, exploring and fighting shit!

If links awakening and BOTW were home console games, they'd be shit, but the fact both are portable makes them great.
    (Never even used my switch on the TV lol)

BOTW has done things right, and even the DLC is good, without it, you get a great full game, and it ADDS to a full and proper game, not a half assed game that's fixed or complete with DLC..
    I'm buying the DLC and going for my 4th playthrough of the game..

It's a good Zelda game.. only took then 24 years to do it...

walker_2003 likes this.
  15. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

I agree how bad the tilt stuff is.. That shrine took me so many goes... I was on an aeroplane too at the time.. The wii U version let's you disable the motion stuff and do it manually soooo much easier.

FIREWIRE1394 likes this.
  16. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

Glad I’m not alone... it’s the closest thing to game breaking in the whole thing.

Any longer (if I hadn’t of randomly pot shotted it) and I probably would have given up and written the whole game off.

17. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Remember the 5 D's of dodgeball

1) Dodge
    2) Duck
    3) Dip
    4) Dive
    5) Dodge

What everyone else said: explore.

There's not a lot of hand holding in this game, and that's a good thing. For all the criticisms of console games being too simple or pandering to people, this game is a masterpiece of classic Japanese design minimalism, and the love of exploration that drove Miyamoto's original entry in the series (which was brutally hard, and more like this game than its sequels).

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019 at 7:23 AM
    FIREWIRE1394 likes this.
  18. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

Lynels, annoying to start with.

Only thing brute force doesn’t work on, so I found them a pain for a long time!

It’s just timing
    Parry
    Dodge
    Advance towards
    Advance in the opposite direction.
    Smack the shit out of them for a bit
    Mount
    Repeat.

19. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Sorry mate, not quite.

In the west, we use a tick for yes, and a cross for no. In Japan, the tick is replaced with a circle.

Ever wonder why in games like Point Blank, you get a circle for a good shot, and a cross for a bad one?

Circle (right most button on a PS pad) for yes and cross (bottom most button on a PS pad) as no is the Japanese standard. Yes, still today, yes on PlayStation too. Play any amount of import Japanese games, and this is your input standard.

Nintendo are Japanese through and through. The right-most button as yes *is* their industry standard.

Gamers are smart folks. We can adapt to differences in game design, input mechanics, engine nuances and so forth. We can adapt to this too.

You can disable tilt controls on Switch too. I did this immediately.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019 at 7:34 AM
  20. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

Despite being wrong about button placements, this would make the game instantly better.

I’ll turn them off on next play through.