The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Discussion in 'Nintendo Consoles' started by AMLagonda, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Paronga

Paronga Member

Where should yo go to get this game for wiiu in Melbourne? Should I go online retailer or are all Nintendo games still the same price everywhere?

2. Badooleoo

Badooleoo Member

$519 minus staff discount (5%) is $493.05, I can't see any better than that.

3. Ospi

Ospi Member

4. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Posted yesterday, an hour of Wii U gameplay. Still looks pretty great to me (definitely Wii U, the UI prompts show the gamepad)

5. samos

samos Member

6. simontifik

simontifik Member

Ended up with a day off work today so went and grabbed a copy for Wii U.

There was a few people picking up preordered on Switch's.

Just waiting for a damn system update to install so I can play :tongue:

7. power

power Member

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  8. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

[​IMG]

I wonder if it will make 99 and equal the king :)

9. Sphinx

Sphinx Member

Would be great if a Wii-U version becomes available. :thumbup::thumbup:

10. power

power Member

See the above video - any Wii U footage was likely a pirate stream if it was early.

11. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

12. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Partner just picked up my Wii U copy :thumbup: $75 at EB price matched from BigW... last copy left in the store according to the staff member.

Will only have like an hour to play it before I have to leave for a birthday thingy, will post my initial thoughts here if I remember.

13. giles666

giles666 Member

If it really is that good the huge fuck up is restricting it to their own niche appeal console. Imagine the sales if they just released it on everything.

14. samos

samos Member

Wouldn't sell nearly as many consoles. The only reason I bought the switch was for Zelda. If I could play it on PS4, I'd not have bought the switch TBH as there's nothing else out atm.

15. power

power Member

I mean the Wii U with this title earlier in its lifespan could have really turned heads.

16. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

The movement system is excellent, the combat system is also pretty damn good.

Performance can be a little hitchy when going to new areas but other than the Wii u is handling it admirably

Map expansion is handled like shadows of Mordor which is neat

17. azzachaz

azzachaz Member

On my kitchen bench ready to be played.
    Have to get the kids to sleep first so I get it all to myself :Pirate:

18. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

I think they did the right thing though from a business perspective. I'd be willing to bet that the final delay had nothing to do with the game being ready and 100% to do with making it a Switch title instead. They saw the WiiU wasn't doing well and decided to focus their efforts on the Switch. Bold strategy to essentially abandon a product like that when there's no guarantee that the switch will do well but I think it will really help having a game of the year contending launch title on a new platform.

19. Rainey

Rainey Member

Playing BoTW on Wii-U since yesterday, back and forth between my own serious game and playing with my 6yo daughter in a different savegame.

First impressions are a mixed bag from me, having held OoT as one my all time greatest gaming experiences. Without spoiling anything, I don't like how BoTW doesn't start with an upbeat introduction before the 'doom and gloom' takes over, in fact there is very little introduction before the game begins. I'm also not loving the
    mechanical (machines, shrines, tablets, electronic stuff)
    quest focus when I thought the name BoTW indicated a more organic and natural experience. I miss the traditional dungeons with creepy creatures but perhaps they return later on (I'm about 6hrs in now).

The game mechanics are great, fantastic infact. The crafting and weapon variety are mostly nice, although it takes a little bit away from the good 'ol days of finding that special sword or shield at a specific storyline junction (there may still be things like this later... I don't know). I read about the framerate issues, which weren't necessarily of great concern.. they still aren't a deal-breaker but it does get substantially worse as you get to certain areas of the map (3 hrs in etc.) and depending of the time of day, or weather things can get unacceptably choppy. Surely some of the development team would feel that this game needs the horsepower of the PS4 to do their artwork justice. The third thing that has recently frustrated me is the autosave which saved my daughters game at a particular point in Hyrule plains as she explored closer to the castle early in the game. One of the bigger and more powerful beasts killed her in 1 hit and the autosave was right at this point... reloading the game meant almost instant death and nearly required restarting the game from the beginning (EDIT: Stupid me didn't realise the autosave feature doesn't overwrite the previous.. ignore this comment). After about 20 tries I managed to dodge my way out of it to safety for her... Was a big thumbs down for me.

Those things aside, this is a great Zelda game so far, the new mechanics are fun and well thought out, the controls are quite great and the enemy behavior can be cool at times. The world seems beautiful and expansive, plenty of nooks to discover a hidden chest or that slightly better weapon. The game is lacking the wonderful and powerful orchestra of melodies from previous games. Something that makes the game feel like a slightly lonely experience without highlighting the significant story elements like OoT did. There is still music and its a nice throwback to the original games, but it doesn't hit home as they did.

So far I would give it a 8/10 not a perfect score, but its really great. :thumbup:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  20. superlanboy

superlanboy Member

You should be able to load an earlier autosave since the game seems to autosave every minute or so (at least on the Switch version).