The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Discussion in 'Nintendo Consoles' started by AMLagonda, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Rainey

Rainey Member

YEP just realised! Only just discovered that when I loaded my game again this arvo! Sorry I'll edit my post to avoid being misleading (unintentionally!)

2. partybear

partybear Member

I think my switch is defective the controller keeps desyncing and it has made me run off cliffs a few times and got me killed many times.

3. stitch512

stitch512 Member

The left joycon does have sync issues. Its under certain conditions so just do a little research on it and see if you are having those same reported issues.

Mines been perfect so far. I find zelda looks amazing on the handheld screen, its a little rough on the tv. Amazing game so far though although i wish weapons would last a little longer.

4. Shaetano

Shaetano Member

My one real gripe so far (hopefully there are higher durability weapons later on). I know there are plenty of weapons lying around but I'd rather not have to manage swapping to another weapon every 2-3 kills!!!

Is there a way to tell the durability of the weapon?

I'm slowly starting to learn all the buttons lol, still manage to run around a bunch of enemies trying to figure out how to attack sometimes :p

5. lawltank

lawltank Member

I find it pretty disheartening that Nintendo's leading game has frame rate issues. :( Same with the fact that you can't remap your controls. Hopefully this will be fixed/patched very soon?

These two problems seem to be the only negatives I've read about the game (unless you outright just don't like it), but they are still pretty important to try and fix in my opinion. I just want a solid 30fps, no dips.

This definitely won't stop me from buying a Switch in June/July, I've already made up my mind on getting one. I just find it a bit silly that you can't customize your controls in 2017 even if it is 'console gaming'.

I think you guys might enjoy this:
    Advanced Zelda AI

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  6. Mynamewastaken

Mynamewastaken Member

Been playing the Wii-U version since yesterday, it's been pretty amazing. Really gorgeous open world. A cross between Skyrim and Shadow of Mordor painted with a Nintendo brush. If that makes sense.

I haven't noticed any real frame drops as yet, though I've only just entered Hyrule 'proper'.

A few thoughts so far; (shouldn't be any spoilers :Paranoid:)

+ Calamity Ganon is best Ganon
    + While I don't consider the game hard (at least yet), it's not afraid to kick your ass (mainly multiple deaths due to stupidity/exploring)
    + The crafting/cooking/RPG' iness. Something the series should have had ages ago IMO. It's fun as hell finding ingredients, throwing them in a pot and finding out what the result will be. I love looking at Link with all his gear strapped to him.
    + The breakable weapons. Makes you think about what you should be using for each encounter. Should I use my sweet hammer to quickly finish those Bokoblin's? Or will this tree branch do?
    + The Runes are VERY cool. I just hope you get a chance to use them a lot more.

- Shrines/lack of real dungeons. The shrines are fun and all, but I do miss the sprawling dungeon crawling event of past Zelda's.
    - Only a single save state??!! Meaning only one person can be playing at a time? I'll have to look more into this. Hopefully switching Wii-U accounts will allow another save. That will suck hard if it doesn't. Confirming that switching accounts works. Happy daughter and wife!
    - The DLC link introduced with patch 1.1. A tentative negative I guess until we hear what Nintendo has in store (get it? lolololol)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  7. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

I found the lack of 3 save states interesting since most previous titles had it. I did assume profile switching would sort the issue though.

Taking my time with the game and no rushing the main quest line, I've been singing praises to my friends. I like it more the longer I play

8. samos

samos Member

I have only just started. 40 mins in. I feel this could be epic.

On the console itself, or when you're in game, is there a 'quit' button in the menu?

Also is there only a 'sleep' mode or can I just switch it off? I've been looking everywhere for it. Am I going cray?

9. roamin

roamin Member

yep i am the same, been playing this since friday afternoon on my wiiu and loving it, the more i play it the better its getting. i think i have around 6 or 7 hours into it now and all im doing is waiting to get out of work so i can play it some more.

i like the way the old amiibo's from smash brothers also gives you daily chests and items too. one of them can even give you epona the horse from previous versions and each link amiibo from the old series can spawn in clothes from that era of zelda too.

http://pastebin.com/CtRd9Ajk

is a full list of amiibo drops that you might get, you can use each one once per day.

most people who have had a wiiu for the last 4 years would probably have a few amiibo's kicking around. if so have a go and see what you get.

10. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Pretty much my entire Sunday was spent playing. Zora's domain has had so much thought put into it's design, so much more than the old dank cave on OOT :lol:

The way the
    ancient beast becomes a temple is pretty cool

11. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Looks like Wii u might be the best way to play this right now, take note of the graph

edit: see below

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  12. power

power Member

out of context this image means nothing.

people should only watch the full Digital Foundry video not pay any attention to this image.

13. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

In the section at 5 mins where they're comparing them they're moving the camera around shitloads on the switch gameplay but not at all on the wii u, I don't have audio on, is this for a reason or are they sabotaging their own test?

14. power

power Member

I'd recommend you watch the video and listen to what is said, they go into a fair bit of depth. It's certainly deeper than a cap from the vid in question.

Maybe turn on CC?

15. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Just watched through with audio this time, interesting for sure but the testing methodology shown at the 5min mark is pretty awful, having the Wii U version I know flipping the camera around like that does cause fps dips which he was only doing in the switch footage at that point

Have removed my img :thumbup:

16. azzachaz

azzachaz Member

So this is amazing. It's been so long since a game has pulled me in so far.

It is an absolute masterpiece, connecting old school Zelda with fresh ideas.
    The nostalgia feels are there from my million hours of OoT on N64.

You think the map is large and you are making progress, nek minnit boom!, map is now 5 times as large.

Playing it on the hand held Switch is working well for me, I have relatively large hands and get hand cramps with NDS etc. Not so with the Switch.

17. samos

samos Member

My god this is monumental. I don't even feel like i've scraped the surface. Ain't even got a proper sword, shield or horse yet!

Crazy. Just crazy.

Feels like I played for 4 hours and did jack all.

Still trying to figure out how to turn this damn thing off instead of 'sleep'.

One thing for me, I never played Majora's Mask. I am not sure why. It looks like a kind of OoT v2.

OoT still holds up as the best for me, but I also loved the cell shaded one too.

BOTW is set to topple Ocarina at this stage. The nostalgia hits are just amazing.

18. Mynamewastaken

Mynamewastaken Member

This is real. The scale of the game is huge. Spent 20 minutes just galloping around trying to get to a tower to open up a little chunk of the map. :/

19. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

I feel like the entire overworld of OOT probably fits inside the great plateau alone... but the game world is like 10 of those stitched together.

20. Ospi

Ospi Member

It's almost overwhelmingly large. I feel like I'm missing so much stuff and have to fight OCD to not spend hours upon hours investigating every patch of grass.