The Manhattan Beach Project aims to put an end to aging by 2029

Discussion in 'Science' started by slipkord, Dec 16, 2009.

1. slipkord

slipkord Member

The Manhattan Beach Project aims to put an end to aging by 2029

I am highly skeptical that this goal can be achieved in 20 years time...

Still, this is the first time I'd heard of a 'think tank' group collaboratively working to try and counteract the human aging process - such a collaborative effort is better than none I suppose...

2. HumbleBum

HumbleBum Member

Great.. lets all live forever.. the world is already packed.. lets have more people. :rolleyes:

While aging is shit its part of life. :)

3. noobmastery

noobmastery Member

90% of the population probably won't be able to afford it

4. Matt_NZ

Matt_NZ Member

I think my plan would be, buy very little excess items to start with and save as much as I can for "treatment". Once that's done, continue with a "normal" life as I now have forever to live ;) Just need to avoid death from other avenues, however...

5. sanousie

sanousie Member

Yeah nice research, Doubt it would work :)

6. Luke212

Luke212 Member

thats nice, but it is possible. it is a matter of when. maybe our kids will be the first

7. cs-cam

cs-cam Member

Worst. Idea. Ever.

8. TrennaHowar

TrennaHowar Member

I agree. People are so quick to dismiss ideas like this because they seem impossible. If you asked someone from the 1920's if we could land on the moon you would have got the same reaction.

I think we might even see it in the next 50-80 yrs. Who knows!?

9. samos

samos Member

No point in living forever when our planet is being shredded of all resources at a ridiculous rate.

10. Sorak

Sorak Member

i dont understand how this is even posible, as far as im aware ageing is a result of genetics. when cells clone themselves they dont always do so perfectly, its these imperfections that add up over time, causing aging and all sorts of problems (organ failier commonly associated with death by old age).

correct me if im wrong, but aging cant be cured with a simple pill taken once before every meal.

maybe a perfectly crafted DNA can be modified and grown into a perfect human, but i dont think anyone born naturally will live forever. atleast not physically.

the article doesnt say anything, this is nothing but a bunch of men gathering around and discussing aging. from what i can gather all they intend to do is breed a bunch of really old people together (over 100yr old ppl that is) and then breed their children together to form a person that can live to well over 100.
    personally, looking at people over 80, all their health problems, their fragility, fuck! i wouldnt want to live another 80 years like a decrepid old man, struggling to get up the stairs.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  11. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

yeah right .. sounds like a push by some scientists/pharmaceuticals to get some startup money LOL.

12. DJester

DJester Member

Check out the roadmap on their site for the areas they are actually looking into: http://www.manhattanbeachproject.com/Scientific-Roadmap-to-Cure-Aging.htm

I imagine pure cost would make a lot of the pieces out of the grasp of the vast majority of the population for a long time (provided they actually get to an effective, commercial stage)

A lot of the things they are researching would have great crossover into general healthcare regardless of the overall success of the project.

13. Sorak

Sorak Member

oh yeah no doubt, they even say in the article in the next 15 years we would have added on 1 extra year to the average life span. but i dont think this will have anything to do with them, more in general to better eating habbits, access to better medical care etc.

14. daztay

daztay Member

But can the brain handle it?
    How many years of memories can it hold.

15. Luke212

Luke212 Member

the brain holds what is most important and everything else fades. so there is no problem at all.

16. Danske

Danske Member

Yeah pretty much.

You wouldnt remember everything from 100 years ago, just snipets or events that have significant meanings.

Interesting theory, how old/young would you be when its done to you though? Say they get it working at 2029 (providing 2012 doesnt happen LOLOLOL), If someone is say 60, would they just reverse you to a prefered age? or just stop the aging completely and you'll be 60 forever...?

17. TrennaHowar

TrennaHowar Member

What we believe to cause memories is Synaptic pathways in the brain forming. These pathways hold memories. When we are young these are forming and breaking at an incredible rate. If you practise something you get better at it don't you. Well this is because those pathways strengthen like a muscle. Now when we age these synaptic pathways start to break down. Hence that is why memories fade.

I'm not quite sure how they would get around this problem. Importunely we are still only starting to understand the brain in depth. We know a lot but it is a case of the more we know the more we don't!
    I think reversing your age would be a hell of a lot harder than slowing it down. I would imagine that hey will start with trying to slow the breakdown of cell reproduction. Then move onto tweaking that.

Interesting times ahead :)

18. timbo3185

timbo3185 Member

it would really suck if you walked out of your procedure only to be hit by a bus... then they would have to clone the guy and pretend it never happened

19. dohzer

dohzer Member

What does everyone who is currently alive living longer have to do with overpopulation?
    The answer is nothing if you stop having babies. Simple solution.

20. RnR

RnR Member

So only folk who have not had any children can have the procedure done? :)

It used to be an interesting philosophical question... what price immortality. Now its increasingly looking like its just an engineering question, and the price may well be within the reach of all.