The Mathematics of a Guitar (900kb photo)

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by ChrisH, Sep 19, 2008.

1. ChrisH

ChrisH Member

Hey guys, I wrote this over the weekend as an assignment for my Uni's Math department. Its supposed to be dulled down a bit assuming no previous knowledge of guitars and simple physics. Anyway, I thought some of you may be interested in the work so I thought i would post it up in here. Please check it out!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

copied out of word.

Cheers,
    Chris

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  2. Stygian Shane

Stygian Shane Member

Looks interesting, I'll read over it in more depth tonight. Love writeups like this - cheers :):thumbup:

3. DJ Fusion

DJ Fusion Member

Likewise, awesome post man. :thumbup:

4. Comma

Comma Member

I'm a Physics student and it's a lot of Physics in there!

And from my perspective you have done a very thorough write up!

Well done mate!

5. OP
    OP
    ChrisH

ChrisH Member

Thanks man, I am actually a double major in Chemistry, but i love to dabble in this sort of thing. Any constructive critism is welcome!

Edit:
    After re-reading there are many improvements that I have made on this, and I will post the final copy once fully editted, but I thought everyone might enjoy having a read of this. Im sorry about some of the grammatical mistakes, I've fixed most of them now. Also some sentences ended abruptly, that is because I was edditing and was very very tired.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2008
  6. Mikos

Mikos Member

You talk about an orange line but I can't seem to see any orange line :confused: Apart from that seemed well written :thumbup:

7. OP
    OP
    ChrisH

ChrisH Member

Lol! Thanks for reminiding me man, I changed the orange line to purple but i forgot to change that in the text! for the time being, orange means purple!

8. wongsta

wongsta Member

this is awsome

9. OP
    OP
    ChrisH

ChrisH Member

I am glad that you like it! I hope that it delves a little deeper than a simple scratch on the surface.

EDIT! I have reposted the Write up. There are many corrections made and soem better formatting.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2008
  10. Uchuujin-san

Uchuujin-san Member

very awesome write up.. and damn informative too (i play bass).. i'm doing the same subject i think.. MTH2132 withe the awesome german lecturer? Doing mine on Chaos Theory.. baaad choice.. hahaha finding it a bit over my head but it's a bit too late to back out now..

11. OP
    OP
    ChrisH

ChrisH Member

Yea man, I am with Burkard Polster the german man! How is your essay going? I am the american guy who blew some bubbles with him!

Cheers man!

Edit: updated the original post! Cheers!

12. shredder

shredder Member

In the Harmonics section, the fourth word is missing.

13. OP
    OP
    ChrisH

ChrisH Member

Yes, I fixed that now! it should be sounds.

14. SchRAMBO

SchRAMBO Member

Maths makes my head hurt but i love reading physics. Gotta run right now but so far it looks very interesting.

Top job mate.

15. OP
    OP
    ChrisH

ChrisH Member

To be honest this is essentially physics. It has a real practical application though and will probably explain a lot about instrumental tunings etc. I hope you enjoy it!

16. OP
    OP
    ChrisH

ChrisH Member

For those who are interested, I got a 27/30 (90%), with the highest marks being a 29 and 28. The average mark was 23/30.

Thanks for your help with this guys, really appriciated it!

17. Lucifers Mentor

Lucifers Mentor Member

Nice work, congrats and good luck with exams. To be honest, I was expecting some wave equation stuff possibly and a few other things, but even still it was a a really interesting writeup, I enjoyed it. Definetly hit the target audience for people who don't really know to much about the physics of waves.

Are you doing any 3rd year maths stuff next year at Monash? And how was 2132?

Oh yeah, and nice writeup, damn, makes me embarassed about what I handed in, especially for MTH2032, damn...

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  18. OP
    OP
    ChrisH

ChrisH Member

edit. post deleted.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  19. stewpot

stewpot Member

I was always under the impression that guitars and keyboards were tuned for equal temperament, rather than just intonation. My keyboard sounds fine when playing octaves at the far ends of the keyboard. The 1.364% error you mention is about half a semitone, which I'd guess would make octaves sounds like arse.

Something I didn't find out until very recently was this: Eddie Van Halen used just intonation on his B string. From Wikipedia:

20. OP
    OP
    ChrisH

ChrisH Member

A digital keyboard and piano are different things. A keyboard can't go out of tune, and does different calculations to keep the instrument in tune. A piano, on the other hand, cannot be tuned as the keyboard, as it is done by ear to fifths. The result is that the piano is out of tune after 7 octaves.

That Van Halen thing is pretty interesting, and makes perfect sense. I think most of us may subconciously do a similar thing with our instruments.