The Mozilla.org Thread, Everything Firefox, Mozilla and Thunderbird related.

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Hari, Oct 15, 2003.

1. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

And yet another ff update this week. At least they aren't breaking extensions....everything still working fine.

2. broccoli

broccoli Member

Does anyone understand the reason for embedded videos not being "recognised" by Firefox, it's something to do with html5(?). Searching just brings up a heap of vagueness instead of "here's what's going on". Older OS, older version FF.

3. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

There was some shit fight between Flash and the makers of several different browsers which saw at least FF and Chrome refusing updates of Flash until the creators had modified/checked Adode's code. That was a while ago and saw a lot of Flash errors occurring between the day of the Flash update and the next round of browsers updates. Not sure if that is still happening but I never saw a resolution from either side for it.

4. broccoli

broccoli Member

They've apparently dumped flash altogether? Flash video still plays, it's this other "html5" bizzo that gets the raspberry.

5. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

Ok well I'm not sure I've noticed anything else, but I use Waterfox which is only based on FF it doesn't copy every problem. Although now that FF and Waterfox can run separate profiles it might nearly be time to go back and give FF a go as my secondary browser.

6. mikezilla2

mikezilla2 Member

Flash is Getting Dumped in 2023

plugin support outside of flash is Dead in FF57+

older versions and OSs are shit out of luck barring 3rd partys.

hTML5 is a modern frame work used by default on various websites

7. waveform

waveform Member

I'm pretty much done with Mozilla
    Check out my WaterFox thread.

8. mixsetup

mixsetup Member

Hi after the last update Firefox uses Google.com as default anyone know a way on how to make it use google.com.au?

9. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Does it matter?

Personally I use a New Tab add-on which allows me to specify what url the new tab opens in.

10. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

I remember looking up that same question ages ago for Waterfox and I believe the only answer was to use add ons, because unless you can edit the code you can't change the 'default' search engines, only delete them. No idea if that's changed in the current FF but I'm sure there is ad ons for it.

11. mixsetup

mixsetup Member

Was fine till the update. I'll have to look for an add on. Chrome at least uses the Australian one might have to use that a bit more.

Thanks

12. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

I've always thought the default google in all the foxes was the .com, but I could be wrong because I've always set new tabs to open to a the .com.au as the homepage.

These days I use an addon which opens a new tab and shows me a list of a dozen sites I regularly use and I just select any of them or I select the google landing page.

13. mixsetup

mixsetup Member

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  14. theyesmen

theyesmen Member

Had a massive clean out of my extensions this morning. I must admit there were a number of extensions that as much as I liked them, they were not necessary and were not exactly helping with browser performance and memory usage.

15. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I find a few of them also drop off because they stop working and the author doesn't update. Usually I can just as easily go grab someone else's so it really is in their best interests to update them quickly after a new FF version comes out.

16. Insert Gibberish

Insert Gibberish Member

Currently stuck with using v61 on my Trojan 10 OS and sure enough some of my regular web pages, banking and paypal refused to load.

Took a gamble and had to yet again, turn off AdGuard Pro which has always been a constant troublesome piece of software since I first paid for it years ago.

Every thing returned including all the ads from the parasites on the web. Decided to try out the free stuff being uBlock Origin and Privacy Badger and it worked.

They're doing everything that AdGuard was trying to do but they at least allowed the web pages to load without any ads. AdGuard is going AWOL from all of my system setups never using them again.

17. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Their systems are screwed if they are blocking legitimate like banking and paypal :lol: