The NBN 'spin'

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by vladtepes, Jul 19, 2019.

1. power

power Member

be nice if those who are supposed to know better did the needful instead of acting like a bunch of exactly what they are overpaid simpletons.

JSmithDTV likes this.
  2. caspian

caspian Member

I won't argue for a second with any of that, including most people being rank amateurs about most complex subjects. all I'm saying is that if I don't support a government that promises to enact my preferred outcomes, I shouldn't complain about the result. it shouldn't take even an amateur much time and energy to determine the high-level difference between the two major political parties on a given issue, if it is truly a decision point on which they plan to base their vote.

3. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

So I think we can all agree, NBN was neutered from the outset and has never really deserved to be called NBN since...

JSmith

4. power

power Member

I love the movie Idiocracy, not because herp derp everyone is dumb and getting dumber but because those dumbarses saw someone smarter than them and more qualified and then turned around and put him in charge....

5. caspian

caspian Member

correct, it came along as an option several years later. whether or not it is a "good compromise" is pretty much the subject of the debate!

on one side of the argument - it cost a lot of money to deliver a solution with limited performance, relatively high ongoing operating and maintenance costs, and a relatively limited upgrade path.

on the other side - if you're stuck on Telstra-only ADSL1 that syncs at 6Mbps and congests during the evenings, would you have preferred:

(a) an upgrade to average 65Mbps FTTN delivered within 6 months, or
    (b) three years of "nothing planned yet", followed by FTTC becoming an option, then you have to wait a further 12 months for the required local fibre network to be designed, contracted, built, inspected, defect corrected, and put into service?

obviously fibre would have been the "ideal" solution, but government policy did not allow that as a solution when FTTN met the SOE.

6. power

power Member

option b thanks.

considering i'm speaking to you from 2019 and the NBN is still unable to be connected to my premises.

7. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

What is really messed up about FTTN is how unfair it is on the consumer.

Person A is close to the node and get's peak speeds of up to 40Mbps, whereas person B is not close to the node and get's peak speeds of 15Mbps... this is inequity right there, something FTTP would have negated.

JSmith

8. caspian

caspian Member

we're well aware of the politics too mate. we just don't bother to discuss it much, because the decision has already been made and rehashing it endlessly is both futile and unproductive.

9. caspian

caspian Member

seriously? you'd sit on a connection people already complain is uselessly unsuited to current expectations for another 5 years instead of accepting an acceptable compromise in the meantime? I suggest most people would disagree.

10. caspian

caspian Member

primary vote is irrelevant under the current electoral system, so the chances of any narrowly elected government changing the policies that *did* get them elected are pretty low. especially if it's not a flagship policy as you mentioned on the last page. how many voters would that get them vs lose them when the opposition made a field day of it?

people just need to deal with the fact that if their preferred party lost, they don't get what they'd like this time around. that transcends the NBN, it applies to everything.

politicians have two jobs: get elected, and get reelected. doing anything right for the sake of it doesn't even make it onto the list of considerations.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  11. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

Option A thanks.
    Poor throughput on 4g and 3.5mbps D / 1mbps U on ATM DSL. FTTN is a massive uptick in performance, round trip latency is down 40-50 ms and FQ-CODEL isn't murdering my outbound HD video any more trying to fit 800kbps.

Telecommuting on NBN is possible, waiting 3-5 years for fibre isn't for me.

Bonded TC-4 as an interim to FTTC? sign me up ;)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  12. power

power Member

I've already waited so long now what's a few more years eh.

13. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

There are quite a few people that were on cable... forced onto NBN, poor speeds, constant dropouts. Big problem in some city residential buildings...

JSmith

14. caspian

caspian Member

the network will be finished next year.

15. power

power Member

but how good will it be is the question.

16. dirkmirk

dirkmirk Member

I experience those speeds at times with fixed wireless, nothing against the technology because of where we live fibre would never happen regardless of of government.

So people like me have a genuine greivance but I gotta laugh at the people who jump on the bandwagon because they're "only" getting 40mbps on FTTN or what have you.

17. caspian

caspian Member

it will be the same as the network rolled out to date, there's enough of it out there now to make clear extrapolation possible. it will meet the government SOE, which is the standard set and worked to. what level of performance individual services with potential variables attain will depend on their own circumstances, including things like number of services and demand on fired wireless sites, and copper length and condition.

18. power

power Member

so as well as can be expected :)

hey it's gotta be better than the current DSL

19. Daemon

Daemon Member

NBN has been a massive failure. Even worse than the MTM side is the regional update. Of course, NBN will use figures to tell you that 90%+ of places have NBN available, what they won't tell you is the number who have taken it up. They're probably welcoming the arguments about MTM as it detracts from the uptake numbers (which they've massively under-estimated).

In some of the regional areas where I've talked to a few mayors and CEO's (they're banding together to look at some form of action / further bypass of the NBN completely), they're livid. Some places after two years have had less than 30% uptake and they're simply moving to mobile when their existing DSL is disconnected.

There's also studies being published by Australian universities on the access to reliable broadband and mental well-being, so another thorn in the NBN's side.

JSmithDTV likes this.
  20. Nerb

Nerb Member

So, there is two guys in my street right now, wiring peoples copper to the little white box that the green fibre cable goes into (we get FTTC). Can I run coax from my house and plug into that box? The guys said they cant connect a coax cable, only the twin-pair. Coax is just shielded twin pair, so why cant it be connected? Im wondering if, after dark, I change it to coax? Possible? My existing twin pair is 50 years old and frick knows how many joins.