The New Diffuser

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by Statitica, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Statitica

Statitica Member

So, a few of you requested to see my new diffuser setup.

After experimenting a little, and drawing it up in SketchUp, I set about building the new, final, diffuser. I would include step-by-step instructions, but this diffuser is specific to my needs, and the MFD of my setup, so it's not something that'll just work universally.

I drew some lines on black paper :p
    [​IMG]

Skip a few steps, And I'd cut out all the pieces, and lined the inside with silver sheets
    [​IMG]

Then, I started gluing bits together
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Reinforced with tape, and it was ready to go
    [​IMG]

Mounted
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had covered the ends with paper towel, but removed it, as I was losing too much light, and fall-off was killing me. Plus, the shape of the diffuser means that no light is coming direct from the flash head.

And here are the shots.

With paper towels:
    1 - Weevil
    [​IMG]

2 - Check out the eyes. Crazy...
    [​IMG]

3 - Hoverfly
    [​IMG]

And then without. Can you see any difference?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8 - Leftovers are good for something...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, how'd I do?

2. brayway

brayway Member

Nice job!
    and damn number 7 is creepy imo haha.
    I can't really tell a dif myself between with and without

edit: Makes me Really want a Macro.... :(

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  3. chrisashdown

chrisashdown Member

Fair effort - nice shots. Im not noticing much dif with or with out, both nicely diffused.

4. RoSWeLL

RoSWeLL Member

love 1,2,3 makes me want to attempt a ghetto diffuser and try with the 90mm tammy. I can only hope one day I get shots half as good as these. :thumbup:

5. simplelogik

simplelogik Member

Awesome, but scary looking light modifier :)

6. OP
    OP
    Statitica

Statitica Member

Cheers. Creepy, you reckon? you should see an Ogre Spider then. Seriously, don't click the link if you have arachnophobia...

I say "do it, get one" :)

Thanks, Chris. I can't tell the difference either...

Thanks mate. Those shots are probably my favourites from the set, too. DIY is the way to go for diffusion, you just need an idea of what you want to achieve.

You can get these shots. Really, anyone can. It's down to practice, practice and more practice. You've also gotta remember to get down to the same level as the subject - it makes for much more interesting viewing than if you just take "top down" style shots.

And thanks to you, too. :) I think a couple of my intended subjects thought it was gonna eat them... And a few that hung around looked fairly shocked when light came out of it and blinded them. :D

7. brayway

brayway Member

Weirdest looking spider... ever...

8. OP
    OP
    Statitica

Statitica Member

Yeah, the first time I saw photos of an Ogre Spider, I wasn't sure I'd sleep that night... To me, they look like a Death's Head on legs

9. Archades

Archades Member

Nice. I'm wondering if you had a semitransparent white sheet as a large covering with the lens part cut out, if it would further diffuse it with the flash set to wide angle. Might need to mount it off camera and back further to spread the light?

Another option if you feel like making it would be to expand the Exit holes and put a semi-transparent white material over it to enlarge the light source even more?

10. OP
    OP
    Statitica

Statitica Member

I think I know what you mean, but I don't really think that the white sheet is really necessary at this point, might see how I feel about that when I find some nice shiny bugs ;)

Yeah, one of the changes I would make would result in larger areas of light, but at the same time, I need to work within the limitations of the materials too (A4 sized paper, the width of the diffuser is full width of one sheet).

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions, I'll take it all on board for if I ever get keen enough to build another one :)

I think it may be time to get the flash out of the hotshoe, to be honest...

11. nuclearDays

nuclearDays Member

Yes, yes it is :p

12. DaLeroy

DaLeroy Member

Nice work. Have you thought about flagging one side, so the light is lightly less flat?

13. Archades

Archades Member

I have troubles with the catchlight on lil froggies, they're so uber shiney.... Theres a clearly visible umbrella it one of the pics I've taken lmfao.

I need to make a massive diffuser and fire 1 or more flashes into it, extreme ringlight!

Can possibly try balsa wood, or if you can find a small rigid plastic that isn't too heavy, some of the plastic a 4 folders have decent thickness. Also the posterboard stuff you can get for like 50cents, glue 2 together for more rigid platform, add skewers if you need even more rigidity.

Welcome to the world of craft:p

14. OP
    OP
    Statitica

Statitica Member

Cheers. Yeah, I thought about it, but haven't done it yet... Baby steps ;)

Have a look at the setup here; looks like it works quite well.

The general consensus of diffusion material seems to be micro vellum paper. Whatever that is...

Not too sure what my next step will be. Probably involve a TTL cord, and a home made bracket. Or two of each. We'll see.

15. plasticbastard

plasticbastard Member

Vellum paper is traditionally a paper made from animal hides, generally it's fairly translucent, so could be ideal for diffusing, although I'd estimate you'd get a fair amount of light fall off. These days you can get vellum papers made from synthetic materials.

You might want to give rice paper a try?