The next Xtreme Edition comes with 4 cores

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by chainbolt, Aug 18, 2006.

1. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

It looks like Intel has canned the 3.2 GHz Extreme Edition, and will launch instead a 4 core processor (Kentsfield core) clocked a 2.66 GHz in Q4 2005 as thenext Extreme Edition.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20060817124626.html

2. eva2000

eva2000 DDR1/DDR2/DDR3 Addict

let the good times come forth :D

3. RodneyJM

RodneyJM (Banned or Deleted)

Oh goody, I want one of those babies, and with this MSI Conroe mobo I have - no need to change boards either... :D

4. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Q4 2006 is pretty soon. I guess we will soon see which boards are really 4 core capable.

5. ShaneHm2

ShaneHm2 Member

seems like good news more cores the better :D also chainy u made a typo

it should 2006

6. lazyboy1984

lazyboy1984 Member

I'm all for it as long as it provides for faster processing and not PR hype. It all seems too familiar if the claims are true. The early signs of another mhz war but in the form of the # of cores a CPU has.

If they were to implement it with say, 4 execution units with shared cache which improved efficiency over previous designs like Conroe (2 exec units with shared cache) has proven, then that would be something to tout about. However if all they're doing is blu-tacing another Conroe core onto the die thus making it a "quad core" CPU, then it's just a modern recreation of the Pentium D design which to be honest isn't very efficient as we all know.

7. crosby

crosby Member

4 instances of folding - I can't wait. Hope the Asus board I have is compatible.

8. RodneyJM

RodneyJM (Banned or Deleted)

9. will_ong

will_ong Member

10. beesa888

beesa888 Member

so whos selling their E6600's? :p

11. eva2000

eva2000 DDR1/DDR2/DDR3 Addict

probably sell one of mine after i get a new cpu very soon ;) :D

12. Darko

Darko Member

Are you in the market?.......check the for sale forum in a day or two.

13. Boxman

Boxman Member

All indications so far show it as two Conroe dies on a single substrate. Ala Pentium D. Eventually we may see full integration but considering the size of the die, yields would be less than ideal which probably accounts for why Presler went to a dual die instead of single die setup. Full integration for a native quad core design is most likely on the cards, but not likely in the short term. It may make more sense when 45nm hits if yields are good.

For reference K8L is slated to be native quad core, one piece of silicon. The X2 has always been native dual core also. It should be possible to integrate everything, it's just a matter of when.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2006
  14. wackypunk12

wackypunk12 (Banned or Deleted)

This is so confusing. E6600 E6700 E6800 E7000 what should i get?. I want to overclock.

15. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

well, for the current range, you better go for a 6400 or 6600, best value for overlocking money. The 4 core processor is still almost half a year away, will cost a fortune, and we don't know how a "package" of 4 cores will overclock. You will be always as good as the "worst" of the 4 cores. :)

16. Boxman

Boxman Member

That brings an interesting question. What designs so far have allowed for independent core frequencies through changing the multiplier and voltage? If something like this does not exist (which for the moment I think it might not) when will we see it? Will it be in the upcoming Merom chips?

I could have sworn I read something about independent core frequencies being put into the design of some mobile chips. I just cannot remember what chips and where I read it. I think Yonah allows for independent frequencies, but not voltage. Something to do with the extra die space from more voltage circuitry.

Anyone care to comment?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2006
  17. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

That for sure does not come with Merom, which is essentially just a Conroe core. It would be also interesting to have the capability to disable individual cores.

18. dinos22

dinos22 Member

19. Dezza Bot

Dezza Bot Member

Is there any real reason a gamer would want a quad core over a dual running at a higher clock speed? You know, since Intel is marketing the c2d ee at the gamer market primarily.

20. lazyboy1984

lazyboy1984 Member

i don't imagine for gaming or windows in general would really need anything more than a dual core CPU.

at this point i'd be more interested in a implementation of (anti-hyperthreading) which AMD is working on should quad cores come along. with quad cores, i highly doubt that many will truly use all of the processing headroom thus an anti-hyperthreading algorithm could be of value just like HT which brought good multi-tasking ability to single cores at the time.