1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

The OCAU Figurine Collection Thread

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by stenchlord, Sep 3, 2010.

1. QuakeDude

QuakeDude ooooh weeee ooooh

So .. this is out of nowhere.

Apparently Australia has introduced some new safety laws around products with button batteries in them, and as a result, SideShow in the states has cancelled my Hot Toys War Machine order stating that they are now not allowed to ship it to AUS as it fails to meet Australian safety standards. Where did this law come from, and how did it slip past everyone? This is going to impact A LOT of items being imported into Australia, especially in this hobby...

Found this on the standard : https://www.productsafety.gov.au/news/three-months-to-go-for-button-battery-safety-standards

Last edited: Jun 18, 2022
  2. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Yup just saw that today on the group. That's going to be a royal pain.

3. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Well apparently from what I read 20 children per week are presenting to emergency departments after swallowing button batteries. So it's not really insignificant. Shouldn't be too much of an imposition for manufacturers though....secure the button compartment with a small screw or two rather than a latch and that would probably be ok, /shrug.

4. QuakeDude

That's what I don't understand - most Hot Toys figures do exactly that - there is a screw that holds the plastic latch in place, so I'm not sure why they still don't pass Australia's new standards. Admittedly the packaging that the batteries come in could probably better (I wouldn't call them child proof) but if your kid is ripping open a Hot Toys figure and eating the batteries - I don't know, you've probably got bigger issues.

The worry for us is that no other country seems to be mandating this, so I don't think Hot Toys will be changing their models at all - it'll just be a case of Aus missing out on being able to get the ones that have batteries.

Also, where did you find the stats on 20 children per week? The best I can find is one a month swallowing a battery with only three deaths so far. Obviously thats still way to many, no one wants this to happen to anyone's child.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2022
  5. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Hmmmm, ok I see. It might come down to minutia, in that perhaps many have only one screw and the standards require minimum two secure points. I'm just guessing here though.

6. QuakeDude

Amazingly one popped up on in the Facebook group this morning, I didn't hesitate to snap it up. At least I've got my grail figure now that started it all for me all those years ago (and that I could never get for a semi-reasonable price).

7. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

The MK 1 War Machine Diecast? I saw that too!! lol :lol: You're lucky I got that already lol! Congrats! :D

8. QuakeDude

haha. Yep, thanks. Dude was awesome, sent out same day, Hell of a nice guy.

9. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

With the coin battery issue. I wonder if it'd have any impact on Motherboards, since it's not soldered on.

10. QuakeDude

I think computers were on the exceptions list..like hearing aids and other products that are considered essential or kid proof I guess.

11. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I wouldn't have thought so given they are generally inside a sealed case and not what you would call easily accessible. And not really a toy.

12. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

The standard is for everything not just toys though. Here's the list of exclusion. Motherboards would not actually fall into any of those categories. Closest it gets is the last part but it's not soldered in place. Hence why I think it would apply. But yeh it's really a grey area.

The standards don’t apply to these kinds of batteries:

• zinc-air batteries intended for use in hearing aids
    • button/coin batteries supplied in bulk to trades, professions or industries, and are not intended for sale to the public
    These standards don’t apply to these kinds of products that contain button/coin batteries:

• hearing aids
    • consumer goods that were first supplied to a consumer before the requirements became mandatory
    • professional equipment where all of the following apply:
      • the equipment is intended to be used in trades, professions or industries
      • the equipment is not intended for sale to the general public
      • the equipment is not intended to be used where children are present
    • audio-visual and information and communications technology equipment containing button/coin batteries that are soldered in place.

13. QuakeDude

Mah baby arrived:

[​IMG]

RyoSaeba likes this.
  14. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Nice!! Congrats mate! :D

15. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

i haven't bought any new figs lately... been 3d printing instead.

RyoSaeba likes this.
  16. QuakeDude

I've got three or four on the way here still, seem to be delayed due to whatever global transport issues are currently happening. Need to pick up a spiderman and ESP Luke, then thats probably for me for a while. Everything else is cool, but not "OMG I must have" stuff..

17. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

I got Hot Toys Deluxe Wonder Woman 1984 recently. Don't have space in cabinet for her tho hahaha. Thinking up how to display her now. Got a few others on the way too. Also no more space lol. Gotta start getting creative hahaha

MR CHILLED likes this.
  18. QuakeDude

Start knocking down walls..

19. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Lol maybe hahahahahah

20. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Send her my way if you're out of room mate, always had a thing for 1984 WW :cool: :leet: