The OCAU "film is not dead" club

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by onrelas, Feb 9, 2008.

1. OP
    OP
    onrelas

onrelas Member

I ordered some film gear from two different overseas sources last week... Far out i wish they'd just get here. The wait is killing me!!!

Has anyone ordered film from Freestyle Photographic Supplies before? They seem pretty cheap, and i've heard good reports about them in the past. If anyone wanted to do a group buy of film i'd be interested.

2. Katunka89

Katunka89 Member

I've got 40 rolls of Neopan in 120, a gallon pack of diafine and a gallon of fixer on the way.. should arrive today or tomorrow, quite excited!

3. OP
    OP
    onrelas

onrelas Member

Oh nice. Where did you order the Neopan from?
    I'm going to start getting bulk rolls and loading my own film (used to do it in school). Neopan isnt available in bulk though :( I've used the 100iso in the past and really liked it.

Some of the stuff i ordered was from B&H and they've been on holidays until yesterday.. I would of ordered form somewhere else, but they had something second hand that i wanted and it was cheap. Bloody holidays!

4. xhanatos

xhanatos Member

Thanks for the detailed explanation! Seems common sense now that you've explained it clearly. Soo tempting to jump on the film wagon.. :thumbup:

5. greebs

greebs Member

Try http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedetail/film.vs.digital.1.html - lots of info on the site. It also depends on what type of film you are using.

6. Katunka89

Katunka89 Member

Ordered from freestyle, great service and very cheap (especially for neopan). Arrived yesterday and I've already shot off 2 rolls, going to try out the diafine later today.

7. Sir poppin

Sir poppin Member

How much did shipping set you back? I'm keen to get some diafine and film myself and it looks to be quite cheap from freestyle.

8. Katunka89

Katunka89 Member

It was in a bulk buy with a few other people to save money, will work it out when I pay the guy who received it tomorrow.

9. -spam-

-spam- Member

*cry*

We got a new washing machine with a stupid plasticy cover on the top of it (front loader) and mum said she doesnt want me using the chemicals on it because she thinks they will mess it up. So given im too lazy to go buy myself some MDF to work on, i cant develop my film as there isnt anywhere i can that is next to a sink.

At least i still have all my dev gear/bulk film to look at...

[​IMG]

10. djnz

djnz Member

Bathroom perhaps? I've seen some people who put a piece of, likely MDF :) , over the bath if you have one to form a table and go from there.

Or there is the kitchen.

11. -spam-

-spam- Member

Yeah, i could. Would be easy as to lightproof it as well. But the washing machine is the exact right height for me and its right next to the sink in the garage. I could probably get away with one of those cheap plastic tablecloths too.

12. chilloutbuddy

chilloutbuddy Member

I made 3 big mistakes this week.

A) I put my Canon EOS 630 on one eye and my 400D on the other and looked through both viewfinders at the same time. No kidding people, the film camera's viewfinder is exactly 3 times as big...
    Such a pleasure just looking through this thing!
    Let alone manual focussing.

B) I bought a Zenitar 16mm fisheye. On the 400D its almost rectilinear. Boring.
    On the 630... A whole new world.
    Have a look at this thread and see if you can work out which is film and which is 400D, its about 50-50.
    Did I mention how easy it is to focus manually with that viewfinder? I dont even need a split screen.

C) I found a lab around the corner from work that develops my film in 30mins, beautiful massive jpegs. This is less time than it takes me to download my raw files and make usuable photos out of them. For $15 a roll of 24 :tongue:

If it wasnt for the cost I dont think I'd be touching digital again. But at the rate that I'm shooting... forget it.
    So, what to do?
    PS I hate chemicals...

13. two40

two40 Member

the chemicals thing isn't so bad. it's actually really fun developing your own. i look forward to it. it's kind of a risk but not really as it's very forgiving. the pleasure you get out of 'creating' your own photos is amazing.

as for the viewfinder. heck yeah my man. :thumbup: the other week i shot my first digi shots for a long time and i too was floored. now go get yourself an olympus om-1 and be really surprised. the VF has to be about 4 times as big on that compared to my 400D. it's totally a different world.

surprisingly i do not miss AF. as you've found out you do not need it when you have a nice large VF'er. the extra control is a bonus. with digi you really do need it as you can't tell what you are focusing on most of the time. i still prefer the split focus screen for that added precision.

now you can see why i've had trouble using my digi. i haven't touched it, other than family pics of a party, since february. i still don't want to use it and am contemplating selling it and getting a G9.

enjoy :)

14. OP
    OP
    onrelas

onrelas Member

I have to agree with you guys.
    I just find it so much more plesant and almost relaxing looking through a big viewfinder like that in the OM bodies.. If they can manage to squeeze such a large VF view in the compact OM series over 30 years ago, why cant they do it with current technology? Oh well.

I made a mistake this week. Have been shooting some Fuji 100SS only to just realise the ISO setting on my camera is at 400 =/
    I'll assume its been like that all along, so im going to try and process the film at 400ISO. Initially i was annoyed about it, but now i'm kind of excited to see if it turns out.. Im going to have to make the development time up myself though, as i havent found any other details of people pushing that particular film to 400 yet.
    Wish me luck.. :Paranoid:

15. Katunka89

Katunka89 Member

AFAIK viewfinder size is related to the size of the sensor (or film) that is being used... ie there's no point putting a massive viewfinder in if only the middle is going to represent what is actually being recorded. hence the bigger the format, the bigger the finder- from APS-C in most DSLRS to full 35mm with film. The first time i looked through the viewfinder on the pentax 67 it blew my nads right off. although to me it's the fact that a split screen prism makes all the difference in focussing.

with the development time- check out some forums and also the massive dev chart (http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.html), they may have times for that combination. usually it's something like an extra 25% time per stop underexposure (although don't quote me on that, could be way off).

Last edited: May 9, 2008
  16. two40

two40 Member

also search or ask on photo.net
    so much information there it's not funny.

17. OP
    OP
    onrelas

onrelas Member

Yep, unfortunately it seems that will always be a main factor in the physical size of an APS-C VF, eventhough the sensor itself has nothing to do with the light reflected into the viewfinder.
    I think dim VF's are more of a design compromise. Most people using cropped sensor DSLR's have never used film SLR's so dont really know what they're missing. Plus most people get used to chimping with DSLR's, so VF's dont become as necessary as they used to be.
    I've read that DSLR's have to direct a fair bit of light to scene-analysis sensors and autofocus etc. So a sensor/mirror/prism combo thats already small combined with sensors taking a fair bit of light (over 20% apparently), isnt going to leave much substantial to be displayed in the VF.
    I'd love to see a "full frame" Vf with APS-C framelines.. rangefidner style :p
    Or some sort of magnification combined with a bigger prism etc could be nice (dont know if it'd work though).

I check that massive dev chart out with all my developing, its great. But unfortunately theres nothing there for my film/dev combo pushed to 400ISO. I'll keep looking around though, as two40 said photo.net has an insane amount of info, if you can find it.

18. Nigell

Nigell Member

Care to share that lab. I took a film in to Michaels and they said 3 days. So 30min is looking mighty fine.

19. chilloutbuddy

chilloutbuddy Member

Mind you I'm not talking B&W here, it took them 8 days for my FP4 coz they send it out to a lab. But there is a solution for that too, labx in St KIlda does same day B&W, c41 & e6. If it suits you its probably your best bet, I suspect this is where Michaels sends their B&W anyway, you may as well do it yourself.

The one I'm talking about is Foto City at the crn of Bourke & Exhibition, they usually tell you 2 hours but every time they were done in half an hour (just tell them you're in a hurry)

20. Nigell

Nigell Member

Excellent. I am in Port Melbourne so St Kilda is nice for me. As is the City. Thanks for that.