The OCAU "film is not dead" club

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by onrelas, Feb 9, 2008.

1. MalcomX

MalcomX Member

2. chilloutbuddy

chilloutbuddy Member

Take the lens off and do a mirror lock up or a long exposure and have a look at your shutter. It looks like its probably not going all the way down?

EDIT: Its also possible that the adaptor might be blocking your mirror from going all the way up. Try a mirror lock up and start screwing the adaptor slowly and see if it touches the mirror at all

Last edited: May 14, 2008
  3. MalcomX

MalcomX Member

No idea how to/if I can do a mirror lock up with my camera (canon 300V)?

4. Takumi

Takumi Member

if u want to check the shutter, just put it on bulb setting

5. two40

two40 Member

the focal plane shutter acts as a buffer to block light and keep your film in the dark until you expose it by pressing the shutter release button. looks like yours does not close completely.

open the back end of the camera as if you were going to load film. without any film there, put the camera setting to bulb or the longest exposure the camera allows. press the shutter and see what the focal plane shutter does. that's the black material looking thing that slides once you press the shutter. yours looks like it slides up/down (what camera is this btw? they usually go left/right). if that black material lets any amount of light through to the back after the shutter has been released then there's your problem.

6. djnz

djnz Member

Still trying to find the address but there is another of those camera markets on in Adelaide this Sunday if anyone was looking for film gear.

7. OP
    OP
    onrelas

onrelas Member

Oh, i saw someone mention the address to this place a day or two ago. If i find it i'll post it up for you (just incase you dont find it yourself)

8. OP
    OP
    onrelas

onrelas Member

Ok just took a few shots of a camera i got a week or so ago.
    A Bessa R3A rangefinder with an Ultron 35mm f/1.7 attached to it (i bought the lens seperately). I've put a side grip on it too which is very comfortable. The camera feels great to hold and really makes you want to fire of shots.
    Too bad i havent had much time lately. Only really gone through one roll :mad:

[​IMG]

9. two40

two40 Member

looks great mate. very practical looking. i bet it's designed with use in mind.

10. chilloutbuddy

chilloutbuddy Member

You reckon?
    It looks all about elegance to me!
    In a teutonic, practical way :tongue: :D

Last edited: May 19, 2008
  11. two40

two40 Member

yes indeed. elegant in an 80's Volvo sort of way :tongue:

12. OP
    OP
    onrelas

onrelas Member

haha, 80's Volvo hey?
    It's actually a very nice looking camera. Kind of seems both old and new at the same time. A couple friends of mine that have seen it said "wow, thats in really good condition" thinking that i was showing them an old camera (like i usually do..)

13. Ronza

Ronza Member

Oooh nice one. How do you find the Ultron? Can you see it out the corner of the viewfinder?

14. OP
    OP
    onrelas

onrelas Member

All i can say so far is that the ultron feels nice, haha
    I havent developed the shots i've taken with it so far (will do so on thursday).
    For the 35mm i have to use the entire viewfinder like a SLR as the R3A has the 40mm framelines instead of the 35mm (as you probably know). I've read about people having problems seeing the 40mm famelines but they perfectl for me. I can see quite a bit of space around them too so estimating the 35mm should be fine. If i had glasses on it'd be more difficult i imagine. The Ultron covers the tiniest bit of the bottom right of the VF. Thats with the hood attached too.
    My kit is a bit mixed up really. I only got the R3A because i got a very good price on it, and i only got the Ultron because it found one for less than half of what a new one sells for. So i figured i'd try it out and if i didnt like it i'll give the 40mm f/1.4 Nokton a go.

15. Scotty_DDR

Scotty_DDR Member

Finally developed the first roll of film i've shot. was just el cheapo fuji superia and a pentax P30t

two "usuable" photo's for 14.95 Huzzah! (well three but no one wants to see a banjo!)

scanned prints @300dpi on a cheapo multi function canon printer.

1. Highway POV

[​IMG]

taken from the back of the car, tried to get a POV type shot but the depth of field end up too small,

lesson: dont trust pentax on body depth of field gauge, use a wider aperature.

edit: stupid me, wider aperature would equal shallower depth of field, hehe obviously i'd need narrow ap (towards f/22) and a longer shutter but traveling in a car with hard sports suspension would make a shot like that near impossible, ah well.

2. Phonebox Long Exposure

[​IMG]

Extremely happy with the long exposure shots i took, especially since i was holding the shutter down on bulb exposure cos i left the shutter release cable at home!

It's an expensive addiction this film, but i'll definetly give it another go, next attempt will be film colour portraits with that sexc grain :weirdo:.

now to research and save for a one of those film scanners.

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  16. two40

two40 Member

wow you went straight to colour? have you ever done b&w's?

17. Scotty_DDR

Scotty_DDR Member

no, i thought that learning colour to eventually take great colour shots would be more helpful for taking extrordinary B & W down the track, (ie. picking the right subjects, composition etc).

as we all know as photographers B & W has the ability to make crap (boring) objects and shots look good, i dont want to get in that mindset straight out.

some of the B & W stuff on here, like chilloutbuddy ramps shot are just awesome though.

edit: *sigh* grammar, why have you forsaken me!

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  18. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

For those keen in melbourne, we at Vanbar carlton have a sale on Maco B+W films, 120 and 35mm.

Also, I'm super excite as Ilford SFX 200 has just come back in!!!

Woot!!!!

-Lachie

19. doigal

doigal Member

I have 5 rolls of this in the fridge that i keep meaning to get though, just have to find the time when i can be patient enough to keep notes on it with filters, etc.

Oh i was really bad and bought myself a Horizon S3 Pro today... just have to wait for it to get here.... :wired:

20. Katunka89

Katunka89 Member

We do? if anything I'd say black and white forces you to look at the light levels and textures of objects in a lot more detail... since when did a boring colour shot instantly become an interesting black and white shot?