The OCAU "film is not dead" club

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by onrelas, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Scotty_DDR

Scotty_DDR Member

my bad, i didnt mean to offend anyone, and please excuse my sweeping generalisation.

I can see what you mean, either of my ordinary colour shots above would still be ordinary in B & W.

its the "I took a black and white photo of a lawn chair" type shots i want to avoid.

B & W portraits can be very emotive, same with some landscape and object shots.

at the moment however i'd rather learn proper colour methods, identifying lighting and what f/stop, shutter speed to use etc so that i can apply all that to my digital shots as well.

I only picked up photography six months ago so i have a lot to learn :D.

2. Katunka89

Katunka89 Member

hey, sorry, i didn't mean to come across as offended or anything, was just suprised by what i had interpreted. but i get what you mean now, and agree with you. wanting to improve is the biggest part in improving... at least that's what i'm clinging to haha. again sorry if i came across as aggressive. i actually quite like the car window shot btw, the s curve of the road leads the eye quite nicely.

3. Scotty_DDR

Scotty_DDR Member

no worries, i tend to come across as a "thinks he knows everything" type person, however i hardly mean to. I like that shot too, i would've liked the foreground to be brighter/more in focus but it didnt turn out so bad i guess.

4. two40

two40 Member

ooh kiss kiss make up did we. how lovely :D

how do you develop colour film? i've never even read up as much as a paragraph on it. would it involve more chemicals? stricter temps? i'm asking anyone that can anwser i guess.

5. OP
    OP
    onrelas

onrelas Member

I'm just about to start ;) (thats why i needed that order form freestyle)
    In alot of ways its easier than black and white developing. Its a standardised process, so essentially you develop every type of film the same way (there can be some minor differences if you're pushing film etc)
    The biggest hurdle is keeping an even temperature during development. 38 degress i think it is. Colour development is alot more temperature dependant that black and white development (where you can easily alter things accoridng to the water temp).
    I was going to make a post about it all when i finished putting my setup together. Its taken me a while to get proper info on it all.

6. Scotty_DDR

Scotty_DDR Member

I'll have to learn to develop film one day, I might have to join the local camera club as they have a complete dark room (sponsored by rockhampton council).

7. Katunka89

Katunka89 Member

would be interesting to see the setup you end up putting together. i would like to develop colour, maybe one day i will, if I get enough space (before they stop making slide film). Would ideally get a jobo cpe2 with lift or something along those lines.

8. von.Gunst

von.Gunst Member

So, I heard that film isn't dead. That's inconvenient, because I happen to have personally killed film, hacked it apart and sold its light-exposing carcass (film body). However, I today discovered a box of film that I now have no way of using. It also happens to be well past its expiry date. Anybody want it? It's Portra 400NC, expired Oct2006. Was in the fridge until, erm, late last year sometime. It's yours for free unless postage is more than the change I have in my pocket at the time, in which case it's yours for postage. So, does anybody want it, or is it past redemption?

9. Katunka89

Katunka89 Member

Yep I'll take it. Will PM you.

10. Sir poppin

Sir poppin Member

Finally finished my two test rolls up, where's the cheapest place to c41 develop only? I was thinking Big W, does anyone know how much they charge?

.. yes I am a cheapskate. :p

also Katunka, did you end up working out how the shipping from freestyle set you back?

11. doigal

doigal Member

wow talk about quick and the dead!

12. OP
    OP
    onrelas

onrelas Member

Yep defiantely. I'll post up where i sourced all the gear from, and the sources i got all my info from aswell.. My setup will essentialyl be a little bit "ghetto", nothing will be automated. I think i saw one of those Jobo units sell on ebay this week too.

Oh, i'd love a roll or two to test out my new colour development setup. I'll PM you, cheers.

13. von.Gunst

von.Gunst Member

Well, that was quick! Katunka was first in and gets it, but if it's ok with him onrelas gets a roll to test in his new lab. Enjoy.

14. OP
    OP
    onrelas

onrelas Member

George... Its finally here

[​IMG]

15. two40

two40 Member

sweet film jesus! now open them all and hold them up to the light :o

16. peewee82

peewee82 Member

Prettyyy. My box is still just sitting on my bedroom floor. I go through my film far too quickly to bother with refrigerating these days lol.

17. OP
    OP
    onrelas

onrelas Member

Ok, for some silly reason i borrowd this off a friend today

[​IMG]

I have a feeling im going to like medium format too much.. Goodbye $$$

18. two40

two40 Member

who needs money anyway.

is that a heavy sucker?

19. peewee82

peewee82 Member

You need something for scale, like a puppy being overshadowed by the lens on that 2 tonne camera.

20. mysteriousjimmy

mysteriousjimmy Member

Not me .... so far this week I have purchased three Nikkor prime lenses for use on the F100's and F5 and a Nikon Coolscan 9000 :)