The OCAU "film is not dead" club

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by onrelas, Feb 9, 2008.

1. shyoon

shyoon Member

Don't bother with an XA - it's a lucky dip when trying to find one with a decent rangefinder patch. You're much better off buying a point and shoot.

2. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Well I was taking into account that the OP didnt seem to have much of a budget.. as it went from AE-1 with lens to something that was $30!

3. compuser

compuser Member

Spent all day trying to fix canon shutter squeak and failed miserably! Going to put a roll of film through it then try again. Just a little frustrating :o

4. cwisfa

cwisfa Member

Haha, sorry for the misdirection, guys.

Was hoping to spend somewhere around $100-150, which is why my first choice was an AE-1 and lens :)

The Canon EOS 500 body was around $30, but I expected lenses to be a bit more- however, I couldn't find any lenses and the ones that I did find made the whole kit more expensive than the AE-1, so I suppose I'll just go with the AE-1 for now :)

Thanks for the advice guys, will post up when I get it :)

5. Sir.Eos

Sir.Eos Member

I own a EOS 500 and a AE-1 and my recomendation would probably be the AE-1, the EOS 500 isn't really that much different from a DSLR. In terms of lenses for it it takes the full range of EF mount lenses so it was a relatively cheap purchase for me, 50 euros body only and I just normally use my Canon 50mm f/1.8 II on it.

The AE-1 however is a bit more manual a bit more mechanical than the 500, also as it uses the older FD mount lenses are quite a lot cheaper. But if you already shoot with a Canon DSLR or something the 500 is quite cheap, although not as much fun as the AE-1.

6. cvidler

cvidler Member

I bought an EOS film body (a EOS 3), so I could make use of all my EF glass from my 7D.

So if you've got existing glass, buy a body to suit, save $ on glass.

7. Athiril

Athiril Member

Soak it in your fixer for longer, what you need to do is have a stronger fixer than normal (esp for T-Max) to get it clear. Soak it in this strong fixer (double strength works for me), then pour it back in bottle and soak it in water (without rinsing) for 5 minutes, warm water works well.

Should be clear from then, generally I keep soaking (in fresh lots of water) until the water comes out clear, then I do the final washing.

8. 0Dey

0Dey Member

That would be good. Hopefully it doesn't rain.

9. cwisfa

cwisfa Member

Ah, thanks guys- that makes sense. Yeah, I don't have any Canon lenses so it probably wouldn't have made much sense to buy the EOS in the end- in addition to the fact that it was autofocus too.

Anyway, as a result of your advice and my impulse-buying, I pulled the trigger on an AE-1P off eBay. It should be here in about a week or two (leaning towards two) but I'm already quite excited about it arriving :)

Thanks guys for the advice- will post back when it arrives. Listing said that it was working fine, hoping that it actually is :Paranoid:

Do you guys typically source your film rolls from eBay, or somewhere local? I might grab a few rolls from a local shop just to get started, and then buy multiple rolls at a time online when I start shooting more :)

10. Deftone2k

My advice would be to order like 10 rolls of something from film09 on ebay.

Like $25 inc shipping.. that way you dont pay an arm and a leg and it should arrive the same time as your camera.

Fujicolor 100 is a good one to start with (if you want them developed at like big w)

11. cwisfa

cwisfa Member

Thanks so much for your advice- I'll do that :)

12. Deftone2k

http://film09en.com/category.php?id_category=3&orderby=price&orderway=asc&p=2

Is the place though they have an ebay store thats got the shipping etc built in I think..

Anyway yeah you might pickup a roll of colour here for like $7 each.. id say.. just buy some bulk and then you have test rolls and fun rolls to just shoot when out and about.

13. Pipster

Pipster Member

Just grabed myself a Canon Glll GL19 rangefinder and 4 roles of Fuji 100 colour, was wondering if anyone had any shooting tips for a rangefinder?

14. Sir.Eos

Sir.Eos Member

step 1. put film in
    step 2. point in direction of subject
    step 3. use the rangefinder patch to focus
    step 4. press shutter button
    step 5. wind on
    repeat steps 2-6 36 times.

That's about it really :p

15. crispy12

crispy12 Member

How different are using these compared to a film SLR with split ring focusing? I was interested in getting a Yashica/Canonet RF but they seem expensive for what they are...

16. Sir.Eos

Sir.Eos Member

i find rangefinders easier to focus (see the focus comparison digital rev did, Kai and his fingers could focus his rangefinder the fastest) and they are more compact than SLRs so more transportable.

17. zach

zach (Banned or Deleted)

Rangefinder = hyperfocal, don't even look through the viewfinder.

18. Athiril

Athiril Member

You generally line up 2 ghost images at where the rangefinder spot is pointed, it's similar in that regard a split-prism/ring on an SLR.

Except you may find you have to tilt your head/eye on just the right angle to actually see the range finder spot (Leica or not), and that's not effective for many situations where you can't actually make out any ghost image at all.

It's good when you have some high contrast edges to work with otherwise that's actually where you want to place the focus.

19. C.Michael

C.Michael Iron Photographer

It is not hugely different. It is handy as generally the 2 ghosted images move in the direction you turn the focus barrel - so there is no confusion which way you have to turn.

Also, why is hyperfocal focussing easier on a RF? It's just as easy on an SLR, just a RF is more compact.

RF's are very similar to SLR's tbh. I prefer my AE-1 w/ 50 1.4 over my QL17 G-III w/ 40 1.7.

20. jumpy

jumpy Member