The OCAU "film is not dead" club

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by onrelas, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Takumi

Takumi Member

post samples, do u have link to the camera, i want to see it =)

2. doigal

doigal Member

Havnt got any 120 film yet, but hopfully will have some for the weekend. Its about as basic as a camera could get though :D

Theres already a group on flickr dedicated to it: http://www.flickr.com/groups/813856@N22/pool/

3. djnz

djnz Member

For those in Sydney:

Sydney Camera Market
    29 June 10am-3pm
    Ultimo Community Centre, Bulwarra St Ultimo.

4. peewee82

peewee82 Member

Put together a pinhole to take 4x5" film today. But it got dark before I could try it out. I hope the pinhole is alright. Pretty damn hard to measure it. So I just hoped for the best in the end. I took so much care to make sure it wasn't too big that I ended up with one more than three times too small the first time around. I just built it around a dark slide so should be nice and easy to use. I have three of the buggers so 6 shots at a time. Let's see how quickly I can use up the box of 100 Tmax100 I also bought!

5. OP
    OP
    onrelas

onrelas Member

Good stuff. I was about to post this too.
    I went the last time it was on in February, was pretty decent.
    Anyone going this weekend? I'm going to try and go if i wake up in time. (everyone seems to get there before 10am)

6. djnz

djnz Member

Awesome. You know I've been looking at doing something like that this week. Found a heap of info via google etc but would love to see some pics or even a sketch of what you constructed. And the resulting photos of course. :)

7. peewee82

peewee82 Member

Okay here's my work of art. :p

[​IMG]

With shutter opened lol...

[​IMG]

Looking through the back with no film holder attached...

[​IMG]

Film holder attached and loaded...

[​IMG]

And from another angle with the film holder's little brothers. I knew it would come in handy to have three of them one day...

[​IMG]

And with its film friends! Note the two on the left are empty and I actually put them there to hold the camera up. It's so light that the film holder causes it to overbalance. Then the Provia and Tmax just wanted to be in it too. :p

[​IMG]

It's constructed with black foam core and pvc glue. Then I taped around it to try to block any light leaks. I also ended up covering two more leaks with some more foam pieces inside in the corners.

Like I said, it's very much constructed around a 4x5" film holder. The back allows it to slot in pretty well so that if it's pressed up against it (thanks to my state of the art rubber bands solution) it's light tight.

For the pinhole I used 0.001mm brass shim from the local hobby shop and ended up just holding a pin close enough to the centre and tapping it with a hammer pretty lightly. So obviously you don't really need a hammer as such. I did this on a rubber cutting mat. Everyone suggests wood or metal or something really hard but the only use I can see for that is so you can hit it hard and it won't make as big of a hole. It's a hell of a lot less effort to just use something that isn't super hard. I mean, you want the pin to go through the brass to open outwards, not be squished against something.

To work out the pinhole size I consulted the Pinhole Camera Design Calculator. You put the diagonal distance of your film into Film Dimension (163mm for 4x5"), then you keep increasing the Focal Length (distance from your film in the film holder to the pinhole) until Image Diameter is greater than your Film Dimension, so the image circle covers your film. So you make your camera's dimensions to whatever your Focal Length ends up at (plus taking into account actual film plane inside the holder). The calculator then gives you the Optimal Diameter of your pinhole, and you try to get it as close as possible!

Getting your pinhole right isn't an easy task. I had to buy a whole pack of the brass anyway so I just stabbed away. The difficult part is measuring the diameter of your pinhole. From googling I established the best methods were to mount your brass with pinhole into a slide projector and do some formulas to figure it out, or to use a scanner. Now a scanner would probably seem the most accurate, but I have a cheap one that did weird things. I ended up just using my digi cam, however, I built the whole camera before I realised my measurements were bad, so this time around I had the camera to sit the pinhole on and shine a light through the back without getting all that flare. You could find a way to block out all the light but get some light thru the pinhole in the brass and photograph it that way. Then I just sat a ruler beside it and so you use the Photoshop Ruler Tool to measure 1mm, invert the document so you get an easier to see black pinhole and then try to measure the diameter as the darkest area. The best I could do was guess but with all my calculations I ended up getting a result within 0.001 of the optimal pinhole size from that calculator haha. Bit of a fluke considering it was a bit rough. Anyway close enough. So mine is (hopefully) about 0.397mm.

I took it out this afternoon. The biggest issue was that it kept overbalancing. Mounting it onto a tripod might be wise. Especially trying to expose the pinhole with my "shutter". The camera liked to topple over. I found myself just covering it with my finger, taking out the dark slide and using my finger as a shutter.

Oh and also for your exposure times you need to consult the Pinhole Camera Exposure Guide on that same page using the aperture that last thing gave you. Mine is f/222. So in the bright sun with my meter @ ISO 100 I got 1/125 @ f/16, and the equivalent is 2 seconds with the pinhole. Then there's also reciprocity! You have to check your film for that.

But yeah no piccies just yet. I'll probably develop them tomorrow. I hope there's some sharpness somewhere. ;)

8. OP
    OP
    onrelas

onrelas Member

hawt...

look forward to the pics

9. djnz

djnz Member

Ah foam core there's an idea. I was trying to think of a suitable material. Wood would be too heavy and I thought cardboard might be too easily damaged.

What about taping a piece of wood or possibly metal underneath the camera to provide a lower centre of gravity?

10. peewee82

peewee82 Member

Yeah maybe that's an idea. Could just put something inside the camera at the front section too. Something to try to keep it balanced from side to side as well.

Foam core is super light, but it's too light. I was near the ocean when I tested it out today and the wind just wanted to blow it away. With the film holder it was heavy enough not to fly but it was still moving with every gust. So Weighing it down might be necessary.

I think thin wood would be good. I saw at bunnings in the craft section these little square tissue boxes that have a hole in the front and are open at the back. I don't think the dimensions were ideal for a short as possible camera that takes 4x5" film though. I didn't measure though so they might be alright. But they had relatively thin wood. Not like balsa or anything, rather sturdy but quite thin still. You just have to be bothered cutting it. It's good to be able to use something you can cut with a blade. The foam core won't last forever though. The rubber bands are enough to squish it a bit.

11. Takumi

Takumi Member

me too, that 4x5 project looks interesting =)

12. peewee82

peewee82 Member

I scanned some results. Two more didn't really turn out. They're both far too underexposed and you can't see much on the film at all. But these three are alright...

First shot. No idea haha. Some kind of reflection or light leak or something has caused that effect I suppose. It's crazy.

[​IMG]

Pretty vignetting. :p I don't think the sharpness is too bad. This probably has the best result.

[​IMG]

It's very wide. That's a tyre buried in sand. Plus, can you spot the plane? :D

[​IMG]

13. Iscran

Iscran Member

just put in an order for a Voigtlander 35mm 2.5 classic and a Nikon Coolscan V ED. Was sick of being unable to scan some of my ultra dense slides.

Maybe I should have bought that 5D...NO! film cameras don't become obsolete ;)

Should arrive Thursday or Friday.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  14. OP
    OP
    onrelas

onrelas Member

Nice work, where did u get the CV35mm from? I have the Ultron and love the 35mm focal length.
    Wish i could afford a decent negative scanner :mad:
    one day... one day...

15. Iscran

Iscran Member

Ordered from B&H. $970aud all up including a screw to leica m adapter for the lens. Wish I could afford the Ultron, maybe in a nother year when I pay it all off ;)

16. chilloutbuddy

chilloutbuddy Member

Aaaaarghhh... how many times I asked myself the question... A nice RF+scanner or 5D? In the end I went for the 5D for 2 reasons: all the glass that I already have plus I simply dont have the time to develop or even do my own scans at the rate that I'm shooting... :( And yeah my 5D will prolly be worth <$1k in a couple of years... You did the right thing I reckon.

17. Iscran

Iscran Member

at that point I'll buy one :D
    The RF was more logistical for myself as the 5D was too big for my tripod. for my mode of transport I didn't have enough space to trasnport my 190D tripod. The manfrotto 715 (I think) struggled with the 350D and 10-20. Has no problems with the tiny rangefinder. Lighter on my back and when lenses are 1/2 the size of a credit card you can't go wrong.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  18. chilloutbuddy

chilloutbuddy Member

I have you beat there, my landscape/tripod lens is an OM24/2.8 which is 3.5cm long and weighs 200g :D virtually a pancake lens... My bottom-of-the-line manfrotto has no troubles keeping that steady :)

Weight is an issue for me too, I tend to walk a lot with my camera + sometimes tripod. So, all 1D series are out as are most Canon and various AF/zoom lenses... Zuiko FTW :)

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  19. Iscran

Iscran Member

haha note a chance, http://merrica.com/images/35P2_m.jpg is my main lens. Is no longer than my thumb is wide.

20. chilloutbuddy

chilloutbuddy Member

Now isnt that a beauty :):):)
    Photographic value aside, I would gladly keep that just for decorative purposes!