The OCAU "film is not dead" club

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by onrelas, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Takumi

Takumi Member

just developed some era100 in sweet ol' rodinal =) 14mins@20C

deep blacks and nice contrast....oh mama

does anyone know if u can still buy era?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  2. jackdaw

jackdaw Member

Better add me too

Ricoh XR-10 + 28mm f2.8

Pentax Spotmatic SP + Soligor 28mm f2.8, Pentagon 50mm f1.8, Sigma XQ 135mm f1.8, 3x and 2x Teleconverters

Voigtlander Vito CLR 50mm f2.8

Braun Paxette 40mm

Sunpak Auto20

3. norbs

norbs Member

eBaying pissed isn't the best idea I have had. I am winning a load of auctions on old lenses. And I won this the other night.

Vintage YASHICA MG-1 Camera with Yashinon 45mm lens.

Film here I come. :)

4. metawaffle

metawaffle Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2008
  5. Jeremiah

Jeremiah (Banned or Deleted)

I just got myself a Holga 120N from eBay, waiting for delivery now. But I am going to use a lot of my dad's old film gear as well, I will find out what that is some time next week, I do know it's an Olympus something something though.

6. Iscran

Iscran Member

7. Supremecy

Supremecy Member

howdy all, just pulled my dads old film camera outa the shed, it's a praktica i know that, maybe a PL nova? i think is the model? and it's got a Pentax asahi 35 3.5 on it

i know it takes 35mm film, im just curious as to wats the best film for a beginner film user andddd where to buy it :) can post pics of the camera if wanted

8. doigal

doigal Member

Can anyone reccommend a cheap scanner that can do 120 colour negs? My Opticfilm7200 can only do 35mm and the flatbed at home is terrible.

9. Iscran

Iscran Member

Fuji Superia 400 (iso 400 that is) will be really cheap but pretty nasty if you're after any considerable quality. That being said though it's readily available and since you're new to film it doesn't really matter much anyway. It is negative film so it will cost around $5 to be developed at any chemist. You can buy it from the chemist or supermarket.

Higher quality than that would be perhaps Fuji Sensia 100 film. It is negative film again so if you don't get the exposure spot on for some reason it wont matter all that much. It will produce lovely prints and has quite fine grain. If you're taking portraits perhaps fuji astia film instead. These will cost you $11 probably per roll which is about 2x what they're actually worth thanks to no-one in Australia really liking film anymore. If you get into film you can buy it from the states for about 1/3 the price locally.

If you're really serious about quality and don't mind paying around $10 for development you can buy some slide film. This is the film you can hold up to the light and see a little picture in all it's natural beauty. Generally what you see is what you get with slide film and if you stuff up the exposure even a little you'll be either blowing out highlights or loosing shadow detail. It's harder to scan because of its dense colours so steer clear unless you're rich or dedicated. Still it's the raining champion for quality and resolution.

Just remember to set the iso speed of your film into your camera before you start shooting.

10. peewee82

peewee82 Member

Epson V500 perhaps? Flatbed that takes 35mm and 120 negative and positive film. I've tried to look up reviews on these, but haven't gotten exactly what I wanted. The Dmax they state in the specifications is pointless to know, and they give you no indication of a real, accurate dynamic range.

It seems like all Epson flatbeds that do film can handle negative film quite well. I've used the older Epson 4490 and the only recently replaced V700. They are the next step up and do 4x5" film, as well as supposedly having more dynamic range. I've never had any trouble whatsoever getting every spec of detail out of negative film. Slide film can run into problems as they sometimes can't capture the full range. And I think the lower the model, the more chance of this happening. I don't think you'd have any trouble at all with negative film though. So since that's what you want it for, I'd suggest the V500. Note the V350 and the V200 only do 35mm. Otherwise there's the Aldi one which is similar that is mentioned in this thread.

11. doigal

doigal Member

cheers for that. Was looking at the 4490 as well, seems to be ok (and can do 6x12s, which is what i need) but need to read up on some more reviews.

Given i'm not going to be doing heaps of it, i could even just leave it to the lab.

edit: heres the effors from the crappy flatbed that we have here, lots of moire and other rubbish going on. Shot on 120WPC camera with Kodak 400VC

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  12. De_Cruelz

De_Cruelz Member

Hey doigal, I may be able to offer scans of MF film if you're keen. I've got a V700 at home but I won't be back till the end of July.

Wouldn't mind helping out OCAU-ers scan their MF film for a small fee, perhaps similar to what Iscran is offering.

13. doigal

doigal Member

I might very well take you up on that one mate! Heading up to queensland at the end of july and taking the holga with me so i'll have more then to get through. This was just a test roll to find out whats what with the camera, turns out i need to overexpose it a lot more than what i thought.

How do you find the V700? Any expirences with the V500 or the 4490?? They seem to fit the bill for not that much coin.

14. Supremecy

Supremecy Member

thanks man, will have a look for some tommorow, will see how it goes :)

15. De_Cruelz

De_Cruelz Member

So far I haven't had any problems with the scanner with regular 35 or 120 slides. Haven't tried any negs so I can't comment on that.

I almost bought the 4990 but then I thought i'd be better of with the newer V700. Most reviews showed that the V700 performed slightly better than the 4990 plus the 4990 comes with a 6X12 MF holder. I couldn't wait to order another holder which accepts 6X17 so V700 it was :D

Unfortunately I can't comment on other scanners as the V700 is the first one i've owned :p

16. Takumi

Takumi Member

i agree with the 2nd paragraph =)

but in regards to the first paragraph, both sensia and astia are slide films, they are both very good and are similar to one another ie. lower contrasts, for portraits

a roll of sensia 100 36exp is about 9 bucks and astia is double at 20 bucks a roll being a pro film

basically if u want cheap professional slide film (provia, astia, velvia) in 35mm you dont buy in australia to save money, its usually half the price on ebay from a hong kong dealer - note good film in australia has always been expensive.......not because of people not liking film =(

if you want a cheap, good, sharp color neg film to try use fuji reala 100

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  17. Supremecy

Supremecy Member

ok, i'll see wat i can find :)

18. Iscran

Iscran Member

Yes, my mistake. Astia and Sensia are slide film. I use Sensia (Slide), Velvia (Slide) and 160C (negative) exclusively. Superia is still a cheap and nasty negative film for learning though ;)

19. peewee82

peewee82 Member

You'd be surprised how similar the quality can be for Fuji's pro and consumer films. I shot some Reala lately and didn't have much problem with it really. The colours are a bit difference so it depends on preference. I've shot a little bit of 160S but I don't think any 160C. I'd say the consumer films are usually intended to be a bit more forgiving. If most people are just pointing and shooting, the philosophy is to make as many as possible turn out, even if it might detract from some other quality in the film.

Sensia is the consumer slide film. I personally shoot Provia the most. Velvia has its obvious benefits for specific uses and I don't really remember if I've shot Astia. It's purpose is for accurate skin tones. I'm usually happy with Provia, but skin tones can be a bit too vibrant sometimes, for which Astia might be better suited.

20. Iscran

Iscran Member

Since all my exposures are way beyond the reciprocity range I get the most use out of Sensia because it holds its values up to a minute. It also responds well to fluoro light where it often gets pleasant urban colours due to the colour exposure shift. Nothing too severe though.

Battery died on my camera on shot 30 of 36 so almost finished the roll of 160C, interested to see how it turns out because I was shooting natural light in EV -5 conditions. Metering was hovering between 4m at f4 or 2.8; iso 160 :(

Velvia I keep for sunsets, evening and daylight work.
    Haven't used provia yet, will buy some next time I need to restock on film.