1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

The OCAU "film is not dead" club

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by onrelas, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Athiril

Athiril Member

Anyone up for a b&w printing session at some point? Brunswick East.

2. crispy12

crispy12 Member

Just bought a BGN condition Leica M6 .72 black from KEH for the super awesome price of $960. Which means I should fingers crossed get it in without GST. Can't wait!

3. lithos

lithos Member

I keep wanting to buy stuff from KEH.com, but man, is their website a PITA.

Their condition ratings are meant to be super-conservative, so I'm sure that, practically speaking, that Leica's in good nick.

4. zach

zach (Banned or Deleted)

For leica shit I would take rff/apug over KEH any day, but seems you got a good price. Hope its a good user.

5. JamesR

JamesR Member

Yeah I have bought a few lenses from KEH, all good experiences, but I'd prefer it if the had actual photos of the products, a lot are just generic. Also the postage shits me, I want to buy a large format lens, but $60 post is a killer.

6. crispy12

crispy12 Member

The last time I saw that price I told myself I'd think about it; it was gone the next hour. The critical thing for me was being <$1000 for GST, minimum cost from RFF would be $3-500 more due to gst.

I'm going to call them up when they open later today to ask about the condition, shouldn't be too bad but I guess can always cancel it immediately if it's incredibly unsatisfactory. I'm looking for a user camera anyway so not fussed at all.

7. lithos

lithos Member

Even browsing the lists is a pain:

PENTAX AF CAMERA
    Pentax MZ-S

Just little things like that. I generally give up after about ten minutes.

8. theDarkHorse

theDarkHorse Member

Finally back from banning myself from here for a month to focus on exams. Missed a lot.

Glad to see you're making good use of the Bessa, laidlow :)

While I was away, I shot and developed a bunch of film (still way more in the pipeline), and picked up one of these...

Click to view full size!

Learning sunny-16 again properly :lol:

9. bueller

bueller Member

TEXAS LEICA, want!

Hoping to pick one of those up while I'm in Japan depending on cash flow :)

10. aZn.ov.Darkness

aZn.ov.Darkness Member

Very nice. How do you like it? I'm thinking of picking one up for more of a walk about friendly MF camera but most of what I read online refers to it being used as a tourist group camera.

11. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Calling Toan! I wanna hear how that Jobo is going!

12. theDarkHorse

theDarkHorse Member

I love it, but you do need to be very careful about which one you buy - most of the ones on eBay have been battered and bruised by said tourist group camera use (or professional use). You'll also need to have a light meter on hand (mine broke the other day :upset:) or otherwise be good at guessing exposure.

I find the size of the GW690 very natural, it's great for carrying around (miles better than the Mamiya RB I had that I passed on to a friend :p). I would like to find a way to dampen the shutter/diaphragm sound though, it's far louder than it should be with its in-lens shutter, and I've heard it's possible.

13. ToanIsAnIdiot

ToanIsAnIdiot Member

Jobo is nice, Doesnt heat up the water as fast as i'd like but I guess I'd just have to preheat the water elsewhere. The water tank has no recirculation either so i'm going to install a pond pump to get that going.

Weird though, It comes with large processing tanks that requires >600ml to process multiple rolls but the motor is only rated to <600ml to maintain longer motor life... not sure what to do with that.

Tempted to set up a few pumps, motorize the Lift lever, and a ladder program as well to make the Jobo more automated then it is as well.

14. aZn.ov.Darkness

aZn.ov.Darkness Member

Sounds like I might just have to get one. Oh the pains of dabbling in MF.

15. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Damn that sounds awesome! Have you scanned any rolls through it yet? I would be super keen to see :)

16. theDarkHorse

theDarkHorse Member

Any quick tips for getting the best results from scanning film on a mediocre flatbed scanner? Waiting for a friend's V700 to arrive, but I've shot some MF rolls already and can't wait to see results.

17. crispy12

crispy12 Member

What is your mediocre flatbed scanner? Cut your 120 rolls up into strips of 3 (if 6x6 or 6x7, not sure for other formats) and flatten them under a pile of heavy books for a day if you want sharp pics. Scan in DNG/TIFF if you can too. If you just need a quick preview then you can improvise a light table (I use ipad) and DSLR with macro lens.

18. crispy12

crispy12 Member

Hmm, I wonder what the post man brought me today...

[​IMG]

Really happy with the condition. BGN quality and very minor scratches above strap lugs and shutter button. Vulcanite is perfect, shutter has no leaks, RF appears aligned and speeds accurate to ear. Wheee!

It arrived padded but in a ziplock without body cap!!! I have to use one of my lenses as a body cap for my Bessa now till the ebay body cap arrives.

19. zach

zach (Banned or Deleted)

Crispy looks good mate.

How are you finding that CV 75/2.5? Is that a new addition? I've got the same LTM copy, fantastic lens.

20. crispy12

crispy12 Member

Thanks! Wow i'm having a blast with this camera. Never knew pressing a shutter button could feel so awesome! My poor bessa is now a rear lens cap.

Re: 75mm, I wanted a fast portrait lens for the M8. Had it for a few months already. There's some obvious chromatic aberration wide open so I usually shoot it at f4 if colour; bokeh is great. 75mm is nice for film too.

I also considered a Leica 90mm elmar f4 or tele-elmarit 2.8 but the former is too slow and latter too expensive. Both also too long on M8.