1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

The OCAU "film is not dead" club

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by onrelas, Feb 9, 2008.

1. zach

zach (Banned or Deleted)

Ah nice, I've only ever used mine on B&W film ha ha.

Yeah an M6 would be nice, but after so long of searching for something decent locally, or as you were so lucky to find - under $1k abroad.

Developed a bunch of C-41 today, feels good to be back at it. Still have a few sheets left to do and some 35mm from a bike ride the other day.

2. Tiger Toast

Tiger Toast Member

which bessa do you have?

3. crispy12

crispy12 Member

Yeah it's so hard to find anything in brissy. Kayell has some decent stuff, I got my 21mm used from them for a good price. When you say sheets, are you referring to large format?

Tiger I'm using the Bessa R2.

4. zach

zach (Banned or Deleted)

Have heard many good things about the 21 biogon (better than the super elmar etc) but I am pretty happy with my CV 21.

Haven't been to kayell in a while.

Yeah 4x5 sheets. Cool stuff on your flickr btw, dig the medium format shots.

5. zach

zach (Banned or Deleted)

For Sydney film dudes: shamelessly stolen from APUG -

6. myoheddie

myoheddie Member

Just watched this awesome little video on Afghan street photographers - very very cool process, and quite ingenious.

7. Tiger Toast

Tiger Toast Member

how do I convert my film cameras to digital?

one of my friends did this and has an om d now or so he says but i am confused i didn't think you could

although then there's the m9 so i guess it could work

8. lithos

lithos Member

Sell your film cameras, put money towards a digital...

That's about it. The "OM-D" is a newly-released ILC camera, not a conversion of the venerable OM film series.

Apart from MF cameras with interchangeable backs, the only 35mm cameras convertible to digital was the Leica R9, and a few early, exotic Kodak digital backs that were hugely expensive for Nikons and Canons.

9. lithos

lithos Member

There was the Silicon Film idea, but that died in the arse, then dropped off the face of the planet...

10. Tiger Toast

Tiger Toast Member

But I don't want to be a gayboy like zach anymore.

Just want a digital bessa

11. crispy12

crispy12 Member

12. crispy12

crispy12 Member

Anyway if anyone is a Leica fan, check out this ebook by Erwin Puts titled "Leica Chronicles". Cost 6 euros, has a thorough history of the company and all the cameras and lenses they've produced beginning from the first prototype Ur-Leica to the latest Monochrom.

Paid for my copy as all funds go straight to the author, and the ebook itself has over 600 pages with text and pics.

http://www.imx.nl/photo/code/index.html

13. zach

zach (Banned or Deleted)

Yo crispy are the double exposures from your m6 snaps on purpose or has it got a transport issue?

14. RichoB

RichoB Member

So I just picked up the darkroom motherload. LPL 7700c enlarger, 50mm and 80mm lenses, paper and chems, easels, filters - enough stuff to fill 3 plastic tubs!

This weekend I'll be chasing down some tables and converting the store room into a print making factory!

I've just got to get out and shoot enough now to get some shots that are worthy of the time spent printing them.

15. crispy12

crispy12 Member

I thought it had film counter issues so I was fiddling with it for a while, turns out that the baseplate was a little loose and wasn't pressing the film counter reset properly. Fixed it through some brute force lol. All is good now. Apparently its quite a common problem, not as bad as the TTL versions and due to dried grease on the reset arm inside the camera.

Anyway the multiple exposures are from me loading and unloading the film a few times while I was halfway through a test roll. Messed up advancing to the correct frame so I had double exps for the last few shots.

16. crispy12

crispy12 Member

wow that's awesome, i'm keen to try this one day too so interested in your experience with this!

i keep telling myself not to get a printing set as i already don't have much time but it so tempting...

17. spectre257

spectre257 Member

Won't happen so long as Hirofumi Kobayashi is in power. The closest thing to a digital Bessa is the Epson R-D1 which apparently has interchangeable parts with the Bessa.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  18. Athiril

Athiril Member

Washing then drying some 6x9's.

[​IMG]

19. pelmen

pelmen Member

I've never been a film person (other than take shots and hand the roll to a lab to process). So I'm not really familiar enough with the development process and need some advice.

The past few years I've been taking pinhole camera photos using photographic paper (photosensitive type paper, not inkjet photo paper). Ilford 5x7 paper, but can't remember offhand any more specific information on it.

The pinhole shots are all long exposure sun trails (up to 6 month exposures). My earlier shots I would take the exposed paper out of the pinhole camera and onto the scanner to scan it in. They are basically very very faint negatives at this point and I have to invert the colours and massively adjust the levels to bring out the details (contrast). This of course also brings out the horrible noise and "lines" from the scanner (essentially all the image information is in the bottom 5% of the histogram, so when stretched back out the scanner noise is greatly exagerated). With multipass scanning I can improve the image, but of course the scanner light is fading the image as it scans.

My two questions are:
    - is there a development process I can do to the photopaper to increase its contrast before I start scanning?
    - is there a development process I can do to stop (fix?) the photosensitivity so I can scan without the image fading and maybe frame some of the interesting ones again without them fading quickly?

(I guess by fading I should be saying "darken" the paper, the paper is white from the box, and after exposure its still 99% white with a darker series of lines where the sun makes its trail).

I'd like to do the processing myself at home, so a nice shopping list for what I need and a simple (idiot proof, and I am proof of idiots) list of process steps. I'd rather do this with the proper chemicals rather than household substitutes (I've seen the DIY tutorials for developing film with coffee and orange juice...so I don't want to be doing that sort thing).

cheers

20. zach

zach (Banned or Deleted)

That doesn't sound like you're actually creating an image :wired:.