1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

The OCAU "film is not dead" club

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by onrelas, Feb 9, 2008.

1. nightbringer

nightbringer Member

How much did it cost for shipping? Did they charge $50+ for a very light package?

2. JamesR

JamesR Member

If you can wait til September, there's a big camera market on in Box Hill.

3. crispy12

crispy12 Member

$98 for package 1kg package 25cm in each dimension, including insurance (compulsory with KEH). Anyway it was pretty expensive and FedEx tracking was really helpful and good for peace of mind, the delivery man even called me to let me know when he was arriving so I could collect it during my lunch break.

4. trotkiller

trotkiller Member

5. Stornn

Stornn Member

Can anyone link me to a good primer on film? Characteristics of key types/brands, what I should be shooting if I'm going to get it developed (ie not doing it on my own), where to buy, how much I should be paying, handling, care, how to scan it, etc... I'm kinda clueless atm.

6. doigal

doigal Member

What do you want to shoot? If you want everything to be easy then stick to c41 (ektar is a good general purpose color film), but if you want to do nice shiny lanscapes it's hard to go past velvia 50, but it's getting harder to process slide film. Basically decide what style of shot you want and pick the film that will help you get it.

7. Stornn

Stornn Member

Is there a site out there outlining some key types of film? I'd like to do mostly street stuff so I'm guessing probably some ISO 200/400 film would be good, some B&W, and some colour work... I love the colours I've seen from Kodachrome but I know that's discontinued.

My friend told me c41 is the only thing I can get processed (ie don't have to process myself). Is c41 a negative film then, if it isn't slide film? Can I get slide film processed anywhere? What's the actual difference?

8. doigal

doigal Member

C-41 is colour negative, E-6 is colour slide (or positive). (kodachrome that you mentioned was K-14 from memory and thats long gone now)

You can get E6 and B+W processed at a specalist lab, and theres still a lot of places that do C-41 for you.

Look through the film groups on flickr and see what takes your eye there. Otherwise I would look at Ektar for colour and trix/neopan/etc for B+W

9. nightbringer

nightbringer Member

I wrote some articles on the various types of film, I hope they help. I don't profess to be the biggest authority on film, but I want to spread the love of film, and I guess that starts with knowledge.

B&W film

Colour negative

Slide film

Now that I think about it, I haven't updated my blog for awhile ... I should probably do some more posts lol

10. zach

zach (Banned or Deleted)

11. Hexx

Hexx Member

Dude that was really helpful! Ive been shooting with an old Kodak Retina IIc for a few months now and its hard to find a good rundown on different C-41 films. Thanks mate :thumbup:

12. Stornn

Stornn Member

Thanks a heap guys! Can you recommend any places for processing E6/B&W in Melbourne? What should I be looking to pay per roll? And what should I be looking to pay / where from for C41?

13. nightbringer

nightbringer Member

Thanks, if even one person benefited then it was worth writing those articles.

I've been pondering on what more to expand in that series ... suggestions?

14. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Buy online

B&H Photo Video
    Film 009 on Ebay
    cheap_shots_au on ebay
    Adorama
    macodirect.de

15. lithos

lithos Member

Watching Landline today, had a story on it called "Goodwill Crop". It was about a Japanese rice farmer from Fukushima who lost his land to the NPP disaster who was setting up rice farms to grow Japanese rice in the Burdekin in FNQ.

At the end of the story, the Japanese farmer takes out a camera for a group shot of his crew and the Aussies - because, well, Japanese.

It's Yashica Electro, in neverready case, in absolutely mint condition. Beautiful.

16. nightbringer

nightbringer Member

Nice little rangefinders, those things.

Still trying to get the hang of this rangefinder patch focusing on it though, it seems like my left eye is a lot better at being able to see the double-image than my right (maybe because my left is better than my right?)

17. crispy12

crispy12 Member

My girlfriend has the same problem with the eye thing as well. Leaves behind little oil marks on the ISO dial heh

Sold my Voigtlander 50/1.5 few months ago and have been missing it terribly. Finally bought another one today (traded my CV 25mm for it) as well as a SF 20 pocket flash.

18. Hades_au

Hades_au Member

Thanks for this. I bought a 35/2.4 off ebay over the weekend, so I'm looking forward to checking it out :)

The Praktica B series cameras don't seem to be that popular, most I've read are neutral at best or negative. Interestingly, there were close to 1.5 million made, so a few people must have used them. I know the quality control was average, but mine always worked fine and I was happy with the results.

I wonder what the thought process was in making half the models AE only?? The only shutter speed I can manually set is 1/60, otherwise I pick the aperture and have to let the camera pick the shutter speed.

19. crispy12

crispy12 Member

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/harman-titan-pinhole-5x4-camera-kit-review-18049

Ilford 4x5 pinhole camera! I saw this in the store today and the build quality felt really good. It's also quite affordable for large format size... Ahh now I've got large format GAS!!

I was looking at the prices of a used speed graphic and the like, seems pricey to get into and quite daunting to learn as well. But ooh.. Large negatives!!

20. zach

zach (Banned or Deleted)

There's meant to be an Ilford 8x10 pinhole, that's be heaps cooler. Have heard a few dodgy things about Walker Camera though haha.