The OCAU "film is not dead" club

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by onrelas, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Azrael

Azrael Member

Recently ive been going through all my old film stuff, slowly scanning it in, and building a photo diary/gallery/album of the year i spent overseas. When its done it will be called "2001: A Porter Oddity".

But enough of that, i just liked this photo, of a nice wintery streetscape in Montreal.

[​IMG]

Very little PP apart from removing a nasty colourcast which was present when it was scanned in. Presumably just the film ageing.

What do people think? Has it held up to the test of time?

2. 0oBelialo0

0oBelialo0 Member

Can you walk me through that? I just can't get my head around it.... :)

F16 to F2 is 7 stops (right?). So to maintain the exposure, you need to reduce shutter speed by 7 stops, starting at 1/125th. Isn't that 1/16000th? (125->250->500->1000->2000->4000->8000->16000)

Just 'gut feel' sunny16 should be much brighter than 1.7 1/1000th - on a bright day I often have to stop down to f2.8 or more to stop the SS from 'clipping' at 1/4000th.

Ben

Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
  3. two40

two40 Member

proof that film is not dead... kodak in the last 2 years has released 11 new films. that has never happened in history.

4. Azrael

Azrael Member

Well i just popped a $2 Warehouse roll of film in for developing. Its the first one through the newly refurbished GIII, and mainly a test to see if the light seals are doing their job.

Interestingly, the box was labelled with 400ISO all over it, and the film cannister too. But when i peeled the label off the cannister, the metal body said 100ISO.

I ran it at 400, although stopped up a few to test if it was 100.

5. Azrael

Azrael Member

Woot, film worked out fine. Everything is looking good, but i got dev only, so ill have to scan it when i get home.

Oh yeah, who is the adelaidian who has the Ricoh rangie? Occxlr8d?

Got offered a Ricoh 500 for $35 today, lightseals are bung, but i still have heaps of material left over from the GIII. Thoughts?

Ninja Edit: ooops, double posted, too excited.
    Edit: i think its this one: http://mattdentonphoto.com/cameras/ricoh_500g.html

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  6. ehor

ehor Member

Which 500 is it? There's a few different versions of it.
    How is the body? $35 is about right for a mint condition.

7. Azrael

Azrael Member

Here we go, just scanned in the roll, and there is a nasty scratch across the whole lot, but i think thats from me rolling it up.

Film was pretty crap, but ill get some decent Fuji or Kodak and try that soon.

Here is a first scan:
    [​IMG]

8. Takumi

Takumi Member

takai, how are you man?? still shooting the canon film slr?? havent seen you since the fringe 2008 meet =)

9. Munkiboy

Munkiboy Member

got handed a yashica electro 35 and an olympus half frame Pen EE last night. and another yashica that doesn't seem to be in working order.

got to order a battery adapter for the yashica now! it has an f1.7 lens :p

10. norbs

norbs Member

[​IMG]

Nikon Fe, Canon AE-1 Program, Kodak Retinette IB, Olympus Trip 35 and Yashica MG-1.

Missing from that photo are an Ensign Pocket E-20 and a Canon EOS 1000F.

Just whacked some 120 film into the Ensign yesterday. Its an interesting beast of a thing.

Anyone know where I could get the Retinette and Trip looked at? Neither of their selenium light meters work. :(

11. two40

two40 Member

sadly, not worth fixing norbs. you'd be able to buy a few trips with the repair costs.

12. Katunka89

Katunka89 Member

just use it without the lightmeter. meters on these old cameras tend to be relatively innacurate anyhow.

13. norbs

norbs Member

Fair enough, it only cost me $8 from memory.

Will have a crack.

Here is another question for you lot. Instead of burning up a whole roll of 24 shots to test a camera, is there a way to bodge up 3 or 4 frames to use as a test for some of the old cameras I am buying.

14. Katunka89

Katunka89 Member

sure, just shoot 3-4 shots with one camera, rewind, put the film in another camera, wind past those first shots, shoot another 3-4, repeat for as many cameras as you want.

15. Azrael

Azrael Member

Wont help you if the light seals are leaking though. If you do it that way and the last camera is leaking light seals then you will bugger the entire film, and not be able to tell which camera leaked.

Just buy cheap $2 film from Clints or Warehouse and get it dev only.

Oh yeah and shoot manual on the Trip, Sunny f16 ftw.

16. Takumi

Takumi Member

does anyone else shoot astia??

i think its a beautiful film, the colors arent exagerated =) i shot about 5 rolls of this with blad, i dont know if i was more blown by the film or the size of the slide

17. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Yeah, Astia is hot. Skin tones are just fap worthy. Try Ektachrome Plus.

18. two40

two40 Member

19. pezzy

pezzy Member

hey guys i have a Q relating to pushing. say im using 400 film and i want to push it to 1600 but the camera only meters up to 800, would this be the correct way of doing it? set the camera to 800, hypothetically i get a reading of 1/30, but since i want to push it to 1600 i would need to change it to 1/60. when the rolls over i tell the labs i pushed the film to 1600. correct?

20. two40

two40 Member

yeah pretty much in a nutshell.