1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

The OCAU "film is not dead" club

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by onrelas, Feb 9, 2008.

1. ToanIsAnIdiot

ToanIsAnIdiot Member

Wow, thats pretty awesome! pricey and heavy too though haha, thanks for finding it for me!

2. crispy12

crispy12 Member

For prints, I would recommend a Mamiya 645. You can get a 645 Pro for cheap nowadays. Get the 80mm and 150mm lens for portraits. Better than bronica by far. I would also get the prism finder and a spare film back.

Alternatively a Hasselblad is good but keep in mind the final format, also a fair bit more pricey. Great for digital scans and web images, but if you're making prints then square format may be less useful. I tend to crop a lot of my square format prints so I ended up using my 645 more.

Personally I wouldn't recommend a Medium format rangefinder as they tend to be old, high maintenance or expensive. A TLR is ok but if you are doing portraits then a SLR with long lens is the way to go.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  3. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

the crisp one knows. Guy here at work got a 645AF-D Mamiya recently, it's a gem.

4. special.k

special.k Member

Did a bit of cleaning at home and found my Contax T2 - kinda forgot I owned it.
    I'm so out of the loop with films that I don't really know which film to run through it.

Where do you guys buy your film and what is a good quality/cheapish film that I should give a go? Or any recommendations on 35mm film in general.

Cheers!

5. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

This place is selling film in OZ for pretty good prices (pretty much B&H equiv)

http://www.ffs.org/

Id pickup some Tri-X 400 (at $5 per roll pretty sweet deal!)

Or some cheap colour like Agfa Vista or Portra 160 or something :)

6. 13atman

13atman Member

Pretty great prices :0 Wonder if they will expand on their range.

7. Deftone2k

Send them a message, Fuji Australia wont drop their price which is why they arent offering it.

They told me to get in touch if there was anything specific, but the order would have to be significant for them to source it from overseas (but worth it, ive been after people to chuck in for a bulk order of some cheap c41 colour 35mm for a while now).

8. 13atman

13atman Member

Still have a huge chunk of fuji instax/fp100 to get through... :c

Should probably source a scanner before I look for more film. Already have 4 rolls accumulated :c

9. Deftone2k

Hah it never ends dude, ive got a scanner and like 30 rolls waiting to get devved, plus another 15 I have developed but I havent scanned yet :)

Just get film when you can! Shoot it, thats half the fun.

10. TwinII

TwinII Member

Hahaha true. Thanks for the link - I hadn't come across them. They may have a new customer :)

11. crispy12

crispy12 Member

+1 some of my film for my my previous, previous overseas trip is still waiting to be developed. Not even sure where my changing bag is anymore, lol

12. lench

lench Member

gat daymn.. and i thought i had it rough when i have 3 rolls of film to dev and only enough room in my tank for one
    dont you have a darkroom? do some contact sheets and scan what you like :p

13. Deftone2k

Life of a wedding photographer, I spend all my time working on photos for other people :)

Darkroom had to be closed sadly, hopefully have time in the next couple of weeks to get a small one going in the bathroom of my apartment.

I actually really love the process of heading out and shooting the rolls. So I am in not in a super rush, but I need to get it done before it gets out of hand :p

Almost through my wedding back log so will be dedicating hours each week to scanning/developing and shooting more :thumbup:

14. RnR

RnR Member

Got some old single use cameras from my recently deceased grandmother. The develop before dates range from 2006 to 2009. Still ok to be processed? Looks to be C41 stuff. May have gone through an xray machine or two to get over here from Denmark.

15. JamesR

JamesR Member

It will be fine.

16. RnR

RnR Member

Cheers mate :thumbup:

17. stevenx

stevenx Member

Sunday's capricious purchase: a Nikon F75 and 10 rolls of Portra 160. I think the last time I used film was back in the 90's, so I've got a bit of a relearning curve ahead of me :)

18. HorrorLand

HorrorLand Member

Was @ sydney camera markets, spotted an old speed graphic and fiddled around with it. It was pretty cool until it broke...

Cable release wasn't hooked up, loaded the focal plane shutter and tripped it, fired well except it just got stuck there afterwards. Would of purchased it too if I didn't have to go through the hassle of getting that repaired @ the price he wanted.

That said, where else can I pick one of these up in aus in a good working condition? With shipping costs for OS I just don't think its worth going that route..

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  19. Deftone2k

eBay or Facebook groups are your best bet.

Unless you stumble across something good on gumtree.

Overseas isnt bad, you just need to look at places like Ebay Japan.

20. HorrorLand

HorrorLand Member

Ty!

Haven't came across one @ those places in a while, unless there's a dedicated large format fb group?

Will keep an eye on ebay jp, although I'd prefer the luxuries of testing the stuff myself.