1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

The OCAU "film is not dead" club

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by onrelas, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Get excited :) Sure you did well, if not.. shoot some more. Sometimes you get killer rolls, other times not so much.. its all a learning curve.

2. random1283

random1283 Member

Olympus 35sp or canonet g17 qlIII would be my recommendations although they have both shot up in price a bit recently.

3. Frozen_Hell

Frozen_Hell Member

What are you looking to get out of shooting film? The "film look", or learning more about exposure or something else? I gather that your budget is probably $300-350ish?

I would steer clear of the FM-10, its a very plastic camera, light but not very durable. Depends on what you're after though, do you want an AF camera with lots of automation, or do you want a manual everything camera? Are interchangeable lenses a requirement?

4. Conquerer

Conquerer (Banned or Deleted)

Ended up getting a Olympus Om 1 locally today.

The ev is off due to incorrect battery voltage (order right one from ebay just then) so using my light meter for now.

Got myself kodak iso 400 ultramax color 24 film. Will get it developed tomorrow to see how it looks, excited yay.

Question, do you wind the film all the way back into the caster or should you leave a bit after your done?

Thanks, will have a browse for future ref.

*The film look dragged me in
    *Manual exposing would help me remember off my heart the 3rd stops fullstops etc to help me with manual flash adjustments on the fly instead of looking at a piece of paper.

After todays play, was happy with everything besides manual focus, takes too long (or maybe i gotta use it more)

Can ya guys recommend me what are good films for the old classic film look and where to buy from?

Thanks.

5. lench

lench Member

You'll get used to manual focus, personally I prefer it over AF when I'm trying to properly compose.

I wind my film all the way back into the roll, mainly because it'll be cracked open either way so there's no point.

The 'Classic film' look you describe could be almost any film, but if you're into the nostalgia thing, get some superia or whatever the equivalent is for Kodak gold (the stuff you used to get at chemists/supermarkets) always buy your film off eBay. I don't advise ever buying locally unless you're in a pinch

6. Deftone2k

http://www.ffs.org/ is a great place to buy locally. Place is fantastic. I either buy from there or in bulk from B&H (or split orders with friends).

Kodak Gold 400 (36exp) rolls are $3.29 at B&H. Hard to beat, from FFS check out Tri-X 400 and Portra 400.

7. metalrain

metalrain Member

8. Conquerer

So got my film developed today at camerahouse.

Using iso 400 film, i have no idea what to expect from film. So are these grains right for iso 400? i was expecting these grains to be more in iso 800.

Im not complaining but just asking if my camera is leaking in light or something?

Overall really like the film look :D

Shot 1 is camera olympus om 1 metered at 125/1.8F, Shot 2 is using my light meter of 30/1.8F. Window light and room Incandescent light.
    [​IMG]R001-015 by Vinnonet, on Flickr

[​IMG]R001-016 by Vinnonet, on Flickr

Outside shots going by camera meter but last shot was metered with light meter.
    [​IMG]R001-004 by Vinnonet, on Flickr
    [​IMG]R001-008 by Vinnonet, on Flickr
    [​IMG]R001-010 by Vinnonet, on Flickr
    [​IMG]R001-023 by Vinnonet, on Flickr

9. Deftone2k

Definitely no light leaks there. This is a legit light leak (example)

[​IMG]Canon AE-1 (Black Camera) - light leak? by TempusVolat, on Flickr

Film is grainy.. and the way they scan it can also show the grain off depending on what they are trying to emphasize with the scan. (I.E trying to bump the shadows up in the scan).

It is hard to know how to tell you what to expect if you dont know what to expect yourself.

It was Kodak Gold 400 right? Here is a bunch of other shots with the same film (scanning done will vary results as well as method of metering).

https://www.flickr.com/search/?q=Kodak Gold 400

10. Conquerer

Deftone2k thanks for clearing that up :D

Didnt think people starting groups on certain films, using kodak ultramax 400. Found the grp too and yeah the films seem more grainy then the kodak gold 400.

11. Athiril

Athiril Member

B&H now shipping to Australia by DHL as well.

Just made a test order, 4 propacks of 120, ~$17 shipping.

Game on.

12. Frozen_Hell

Frozen_Hell Member

Wow, that makes a huge difference. Makes buying film in smaller lots actually feasible.

13. Deftone2k

That is amazing!

Must resist the urge..

14. lench

lench Member

B&H without the $60 shipping?
    damn that almost makes me regret placing an order with freestyle earlier today... almost

15. Deftone2k

I do group buys often (usually $900-$950 worth) and generally ends up being ~ $20 for each person which is pretty good. This might make it even better!

16. TwinII

TwinII Member

Yeah...only problem is once you reach a particular amount that shipping option is no longer available. I think it certainly makes film more affordable for us and I expect to see a bit of a drop from some of the eBay sales due to this.

17. [kane]

[kane] Member

About time! If eBay uses can ship free from the US and Thailand.....

18. Athiril

Athiril Member

Booked my tickets for Japan on the 2 for 1 sale, ended up $450 return inc 15kg there 25kg back baggage + paypeel booking fee etc to Osaka, going for nearly 6 weeks next year in their Autumn.

I'll be taking some of the frozen slide film collection I've built up :)

19. HorrorLand

HorrorLand Member

Anybody from 2680? Cleary?

Anywhere to get your darkroom chems locally?

20. Deftone2k

Vanbar ship.... otherwise ebay + shipping? B&H might be viable now as well with the new shipping.