1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

The OCAU "film is not dead" club

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by onrelas, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

No filters, I dialled the magenta and blues back in only because the frontier tends to push the greens + yellows in the highlights a bit.

And yes, I understand the pain when it comes to the scans and the results. You should come along to my photographer meetups sometime if you wanna talk about it as I am taking on a lot more jobs for people now and love sharing the experiences.

2. Deftone2k

Decided to mess about with this SCG panorama from the ashes in 2011 again.

[​IMG]

14248 x 3314 pixels

Here is 100% (pardon the sharpening and compression)

[​IMG]

3. HorrorLand

HorrorLand Member

Started working at my local camera house today, they have a Konica DS-1000 as part of their R1 minilab. Anybody know much about this scanner?

4. Bion1c

Bion1c Member

damn that is impressive.. how did you do the panorama? multiple frames at same exposure then stitch the scans? if so im surprised at how consistent the scan output is

5. Deftone2k

Was my 4th roll of film.. pretty sure it was on AV at F8 and I took 5 hand held frames whilst I was waiting for the beers to come back.

I did tweak each image slightly to match, but lined up easy once I loaded it up to stitch. Only a couple of minor adjustments for the blend.

6. lench

lench Member

looks like Paxtons CBD has shut up shop (along with a few other stores)
    another one down.. looks like all of my stuff is gonna have to go to VIL now via mail (not enough time during lunch to drop it off, not open on weekends anymore)

thinking its about time i go 100% self-sufficient :(

7. Deftone2k

I think the market has space now for more labs to pop up, from rumblings around the place I hope we see some more.

The owner decided to retire, thats why Paxtons shut. You can still send stuff to their Chatswood store as well if you want.

I used to get the train to redfern/do the drop and back on the train for VIL and was pretty quick.

8. lench

lench Member

yeah I've done that a couple of times, it works in a pinch but my lunchbreaks are generally pretty short, so the 1hour/1:15 breaks dont come along all that often.

The weekday dropoff and weekend pickup (or vice versa) worked pretty well, but i get that they couldn't keep people on. pretty decent lab though :thumbup:

9. Frozen_Hell

Frozen_Hell Member

Depends on what type of film you're shooting and the volume as to whether its worth it from a cost point of view - especially as the shelf life of opened chemicals isn't great depending on which chemistry it is.

About 3 years back I was doing my own E6 developing with the tetenal kit and it was only cost effective to use the 5L kits - I did use the 1L kits a few times, but it was cheaper to pay to get it developed per roll than doing it myself. I had one set of the chems go off in the 5L kit before I could use more than half of it, which was annoying.

If you're shooting B&W then its way cheaper to dev yourself and very easy to do, the chems last longer than E6 ones do and are cheaper and are cost effective to buy in smaller quantities as well (even as liquids, even cheaper as powders). I have never done dev with C41, so can't comment on the cost and ease of doing that, but most people seem to say E6 is the hardest/most fiddly one to do.

10. Bion1c

Bion1c Member

what were you getting done there? just c41 processing?

would be great to see more.. doubt it will happen though :(

mind you, hillvale seems to be doing a lot of business..

11. lench

lench Member

yep, i'm already all over B/W dev :thumbup:
    looking to get into E6 and eventually C41, but the only thing that's been holding me back is my fairly small shooting volume (my b/w chems usually perish before i run out). was just easier paying the ~$9 per roll

12. Deftone2k

If you can get the rolls to me in Ashfield, I am happy to drop them off when I visit VIL to get rolls done :thumbup:

13. HorrorLand

HorrorLand Member

14. Deftone2k

15. HorrorLand

HorrorLand Member

Does anyone have a 6x7 enlarger head?

16. Bion1c

Bion1c Member

+1 to "wish i had the space"... looks cool to play with but how hard is it to get great results from a drum scanner compared to a high end scanner like flextight/coolscan etc?

i helped a mate inspect a coolscan 9000 on the weekend. Kinda wished it was coming home to my place but i do have quite a collection going already..

I actually picked up my first paid scanning job too :D a guy gave me 30+ rolls of 35mm to scan. it was a fun surprise when i found out it was all xpan! :upset:

17. HorrorLand

HorrorLand Member

Just different tools for the job I guess - eg I wouldn't want to do what you or Jack are doing going through 30 rolls with a drum scanner, would take weeks :shock:

Even on an imacon its gonna take a while, time = money hence things like the frontier or noritsu. I don't shoot a ton but I'm anal with what I have :p So not neccsarily hard, just time consuming. Good luck!

18. Bion1c

Bion1c Member

heh nah i wouldnt do 30 rolls on a FT unless he was paying me 10x the amount :lol: it's going through my pakon scanner. but it doesnt natively support xpan, i had to write a whole lot of scripts to automate the process (it would be totally unfeasible to set the crop pixel dimensions by hand for each frame)

the pakon is really good for 35mm - esp if you actually give a shit and adjust the jpg levels as you go. it has a very diffused light source (unlike coolscan) and excellent colour correction. It can also output 16 bit raw tiff files to PP..

For xpan you get a pretty good sized negative too; e.g. 5580x2000. You could make a decent print for that, and its easily enough for web use

19. HorrorLand

HorrorLand Member

Oh easy peasy then! Reminds me of the noritsu minilabs at work, 6 frames at time with CMYK up/down density adjustments for each going through and correcting hundreds and hundreds of photos (in one order!)

20. Bion1c

Bion1c Member

yer it would exactly like that with regular 35mm! but xpan gives you extra fun:

- auto framing shits itself so you have to set the crop values for each frame by hand
    - since the auto framing doesnt work - the auto exposure doesnt seem to work too well either :(
    - each roll seems to require slightly different width values (~5560-5595), even with same type of film WTF?!
    - the command to convert the raw scanner output rgb file into a tif needs to know the exact dimensions.... and they are all different!!! arrrrghh

anyway.. these are solvable problems with autoit and java..

i am curious though, can frontiers or noritsu scan xpan format? is the exposure window big enough?