The OCAU "film is not dead" club

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by onrelas, Feb 9, 2008.

1. forbaz

forbaz Member

PM sent :)

2. TwinII

TwinII Member

I'm after a silver Canon AE-1 - I am hoping to pick one up for less than $30. I suspect I won't be able to find one in good condition for that price though.

3. HorrorLand

HorrorLand Member

Found a box but not the camera yet.

4. Bion1c

Bion1c Member

Just had a catchup on that thread.. very impressive to see a prototype there!

Is it intended to work with colour film or just b&w? Might sound like a dumb question but if you're doing colour negative whats the plan for colour correction? linear scan + color perfect?

very cool stuff indeed.... im keeping an eye on it

5. HorrorLand

HorrorLand Member

Cheers, we had a meet up in Sydney this week and presented the scanner for a few members there.

It is a color scanner of course - for color correction we have two approaches, one outlined a few pages back in the thread as a short term kind of thing and another which will be ongoing with sampling and profile creation to be added later.

However, since this is such a flexible modular scanner, we believe the majority of users would simply prefer to get a raw scan and work on with whatever process they are most familiar with eg CP etc.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  6. Bion1c

Bion1c Member

i have been curious about how colour correction would work with it. CP gives pretty decent results but it doesn't really blow me away. Another thing I don't like is it doesnt seem to support even a basic batch function. i have 5 shots in the same lighting setup and i have to individually apply unique settings to each one? then each of them has minor exposure and colour differences ... it really sucks..

are you able to outline a bit about the sampling and profile creation technique you guys are thinking of?

i have been kicking around some ideas to create my own profiles in flexcolor. My theory goes that I'm going to take a carefully exposed shot of a grey card, and one 100% overexposed.
    In PP later I can neutralize the black point with section of film between frames to get the base colour + fog, then get the neutral middle grey from the shot with the card, then the white point with the fully overexposed frame.
    So I can save that as a profile and - in theory - the rest of that roll would be colour corrected aside (from adjustments in white balance due to lighting).

I am hoping that if i use the same (quality) lab for developing that I could get very good results by applying that same saved profile to other rolls of the same film type.

any thoughts on that approach?

I've also been thinking of using an xrite color checker passport to check the RGB values of the swatches to make fine adjustments but that sounds painful... it all hinges on how consistent negative film is from roll to roll and batch to batch. I'm planning on trialling this with portra 400 135...

7. HorrorLand

HorrorLand Member

Thanks for the feedback, I am working on a batch scanning holder for uncut roll film. It should support up to 5 rolls or so at the same time, so a batch correction option is definitely required.

Making the profiles is more or less the same as you are thinking however with our own little spin on it, I'll pm the details.

Cheers

8. Athiril

Athiril Member

Raw scan in flexcolor, rename the .fff to .tif and correct in PS. Using the levels for each R, G, B channel, takes a few seconds when youre used to it.

You could also use the middle grey picker and pick grey off a chart off one frame.

9. Bion1c

Bion1c Member

hey nice to see another imacon user :)

I've tried a lot of different things but I'm almost ready to give up on negative film with it. My experiments with a grey card detailed above didn't really work.

hm any chance I could give you a 3f to convert as a demo? id be interested to see how you do the levels in PS. I know of several techniques but i couldn't really find anything that worked well for me.

it's depressing putting it in the pakon and getting great colour with no effort. shame its such low res and 35mm only

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  10. Athiril

Athiril Member

Sorry for the slow reply, sure upload it somewhere and I'll screenshot the steps I go through to correct it.

edit: If you want to use the grey picker, normally its a good idea to set a large pixel radius, and grey picking off the orange base where there is no exposure after inverting the image works well too.

11. jars121

jars121 Member

Do any of you guys have experience with the 645 Pro-TL? I've been playing with the idea of putting together a really simple 80mm f/1.9 kit with the Pro-TL, so was wondering if anyone hear could comment on its use, perhaps with reference to some of the other mainstream 645 systems :)

12. Bion1c

Bion1c Member

hey mate.. that would be good if you had some time to do it. I have a test images I use with different processes. I'll put up a raw scan and it will be interesting to compare your results to the other methods ive tried (i'd be happy to share with you as well if youre interested). It's a really crazy time of year though, let me come back with this after xmas :)

Since my earlier posts I've done a lot more investigation/discussion to try to get to the bottom of fixing up these flextight scans of colour negs. It essentially comes down to 2 options: FlexColor or ColorPerfect.

Right now i'm just focusing on ColorPerfect. I thought I understood how to use it, but after discussions with the author (specifically related to flextight scanners) and a thorough dose of RTFM i have a better idea of how it is intended to be used - which is quite different to what i was doing previously.

Incidentally, the CP team believe there are serious fundamental problems related to using curves or levels adjustment to correct color (http://www.colorperfect.com/misconception/of/common/RGB/curve/adjustments/in/digital/image/editing/). The guy is either a crank or a genius.. I still can't figure out which one.

Either way, most discussions about how to correct colour negative film always seems to come back to "just use CP" so he must be doing something right

13. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

If I were to go 645 again, id be going the Pentax 645n :)

Pro-TL is ok with the 1.8, its a nice bit of glass.. I just digging what the Pentax kit offers even if its more $$$

14. jars121

jars121 Member

Thanks Jack :)

I haven't really looked into the 645N as of yet, but it looks like an interesting camera. If I were to opt for an autofocus model though I'd probably get an AFD, I've always loved them :leet:

15. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Yep I do love my AFD but with the 645 Pentax you can also adapt the amazing 105 2.4 from the p67 onto it.. that is what I would want to shoot :D

16. Athiril

Athiril Member

No worries, let me know when you get a file up.

17. HorrorLand

HorrorLand Member

Click to view full size!

Not bad for a small town I gotta say... thinking of kickstarting processing at my local lab again :D

18. Bion1c

Bion1c Member

thanks mate, will drop you a pm about it

all your rolls? :)

19. HorrorLand

HorrorLand Member

Haha Nahh, all customers :D Still haven't gotten into colour yet will definitely do if we get our processor back (i'll probably be operating it!)

20. HorrorLand

HorrorLand Member