The OCAU "film is not dead" club

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by onrelas, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Yep rock solid, I have lugged mine around for a lot of landscapes and love it. Although a bit big for my purposes now (I have a lighter kit for travel) but still good for places where im pretty much driving to the location and not venturing that far from the car.

Great for portraits and for landscapes. The detail out of 6x7 is just incredible

[​IMG]Redwoods by Jack Chauvel, on Flickr

This is with the 50mm 4.5

fredhoon and quwackers like this.
  2. lench

lench Member

Mine took a tumble and spent a few months getting repaired, but pretty decent cameras
    the image quality just floors me each time I scan a negative.. just wish my scanner and technique could do the system justice

Just go to the gym and start lifting :Pirate:

3. Bion1c

Bion1c Member

hey guys im making some progress with bringing my drum scanner back to life.

Still got a long way to go, but the PC's i need seem to be starting up and loading the OS which is a great start :thumbup:

I need to get my hands on a couple of things before i can move forwards anymore though.. so if you happen to have any of those bits lying around please drop me a line :)

4. HorrorLand

HorrorLand Member

You are already past the reason he sold them for parts :p

5. HorrorLand

HorrorLand Member

6. lench

lench Member

damn... i was looking to make one of these in my garage :upset:

7. HorrorLand

HorrorLand Member

You still can, but that guys is how not to do it. I got my ideas from Novas product as well as this collodian tent.

http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/WPC/wpc.html

As for ventilation - use brain.
    http://www.newdark.com.au/productinfo.aspx?productID=16420

Probably should do some more work on new design, currently stripped out and using it to test uv exposure.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

8. Bion1c

Bion1c Member

9. HorrorLand

HorrorLand Member

Ikr, ideal ventilation would be up to 10x full air changes per hour through a HEPA filter. Since I would only contact print and use slot processors in the tent that is less of a concern but for open trays and wet plate stuff for long amounts of time....

10. Bion1c

Bion1c Member

what do you reckon would be suitable to just do developing (b&w) in a laundry?

I'm moving in to a new place soon, just thinking about how to set it up. I was thinking a strong exhaust fan + intake from somewhere, but these links have me thinking now - esp the diagram of the exhaust fan drawing air into the face of the user

11. HorrorLand

HorrorLand Member

Film or paper? Your laundry should already have some kind of exhaust that should do.

These documents are more so for labs and school darkrooms and the like. The picture is just common sense, the guy with an extraction fan down the bottom isn't going to do much good.

I wouldn't worry too much - your not locking yourself in a tiny tent.

12. Bion1c

Bion1c Member

Just occasional film developing.. I'm not going to do any printing at home, if i get the urge to do that i can use the one at MCC

13. HorrorLand

HorrorLand Member

14. Frozen_Hell

Frozen_Hell Member

You don't need a dark room or anything for developing film. You just need a film loading bag and a tank... takes a little of practice to load film in the bag onto the reel, but that is the only part where you need darkness. Any developing tank is light tight - and if you're doing B&W it is so easy. I used to develop E6 (slide film) at home, that one is a bit of a pain due to the strict temperature controlling needed and the many, many steps.

15. Bion1c

Bion1c Member

yep.. already do my own processing. was just wondering about ventilation :)

hahah i saw that a while back but never noticed the toilet roll handle! that's gold..

that film toaster thing actually might be decent.. if they chopped the price by about 90%

16. HorrorLand

HorrorLand Member

Nahh... its a lovely Champagne titanium ;)

17. lench

lench Member

so i tried HC110 for the first time last night and i like what i see! So much less hassle than mixing up D76 or Xtol then worrying about if it's gone off or not

I just need to remember to mix the solution better as i had a bunch of the 'gel' still in the bottom of the mixing jug (it was cold last night!)

anyone else here use the stuff? which ratio do you use?
    I used HC110(B) @ 20C - 5min dev time, but i feel like i could use a lot less than 31ml for 1L of mixture (some people indicating that 6ml per roll works well, but nobody mentions the dev time)

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  18. Bion1c

Bion1c Member

I have a bottle of it in my cupboard but never got around to trying it out. normally use d76 or xtol but agree its a pain to mix up.

interested to hear how you do it. do you just measure out X ml and make up enough for the roll(s) youre developing at the time?

19. lench

lench Member

pretty much yeah. there are instructions on making up stock solutions, but i'd rather keep it in the syrup state as it apparently has better keeping properties.
    I'll put some of the shots through the scanner tonight and see how much grain shows up under the B dilution. I'm still yet to find hard examples on the effect of the different dilutions

20. HorrorLand

HorrorLand Member