The OCAU "film is not dead" club

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by onrelas, Feb 9, 2008.

1. myoheddie

myoheddie Member

nice revolving door!

I've just fixed up my multigrade 500 system for the darkroom - so much better print times and contrast than my old head. Sorting thru old paper stock sorting the good from the bad.

Also have a 5x4 durst enlarger to set up with a head too

Now just need more time to print!

2. HorrorLand

HorrorLand Member

Nice making your way through that stack, wish I had more time to check your darkroom out! Is the 4x5 new, i don't recall seeing it but thats amazing if you got it to fit haha.
    Still haven't had a chance to completely set up the eversmart, never enough time :( Will hopefully get container in next few weeks to put everything in quickly running out of space.

Have fun printing for me - will be a while till I am set up!

3. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Very nice... good to see the time going into printing.

I simply dont have the space nor time anymore its rather sad. Look forward to getting back into it one day, will focus on printed prints for the time being whilst that is what I can manage.

I have been mostly shooting with my Makina 67 for the last 12+ months.

Picked up a M6 and have a 35mm color skopar on it which is great but I havent been taking it out a lot with me. Considering perhaps this year for some travels taking it, but I am always drawn to taking the Makina!

4. myoheddie

myoheddie Member

yeh time is always my biggest battle for wet prints - the multigrade head is great for speeding up the process though. No exposure time changes between grades, and quick print times. I'm pretty tempted to pick up the exposure probe to shave off a few more test strips too.

Would love to have a Makina! fast glass in a folder size. How accurate do you find the rangefinder?

Haha that stack is going slow - all the ilford stuff is fine, but the Agfa has aged baaaadddly.

The 4x5 is a longer term project - a Durst CE1000 with a busted CSL 450 head. Hoping to rig it up to a multigrade head with condensers underneath, but it could be a bit of a monster!

Get that container set up, you've got enough stuff to start a whole lab!

5. Deftone2k

Its really very good, bright and super easy to see. Its so damn sharp too even at 2.8

Ive shot heaps that ive never seen tho, the RF is mostly good for accuracy I have a bit of a problem with the frame counter at present but the guy I used to service it through has retired so now im a bit stuck on where to send it.

6. HorrorLand

HorrorLand Member

Haha maybe one day.... still don't even have a processor :p
    The agfa stuff may still be good for lith before you chuck it. Do post some pics of prints and the enlarger when you get a chance, sounds like a fun project.

7. MorgzMods

MorgzMods Member

Hello!

Haven't been on OCAU in ages.

Recently bought a contax T2 and managed about 10 rolls before it was stolen at an event. I fell in love.

Currently saving up for something new, but in the meantime have bought a Yashica T AF-D.
    Is there a thread people link to photo sharing sites? (What's most commonly used?)

Have access to an industrial printer and different choices of material at work, looking into details soon.

Can anyone help me calculate what resolution a 72mb .tiff file scaned at 254ppi would result in from 35mm scanned film?

If I can suggest an update to some shops/services supplies.
    Online shops / Supplies

Aus - Sydney- Beginning Film (Instagram) -
    Cameras sought from various Japanese Camera stores in Tokyo, film, special camera requests with 48 hour turn around after payment Sydney based, Tokyo working profressional photographers looking to build the Australian market!Great service.
    https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/beginningfilm

Aus - Brisbane (Newstead)- (Racquet Studio/Film )(Instagram)-

High res scas to .tiff, offers prints up to A2 printed on canvas in house. Run by two passionate photographers (and family equally as passionate) who are working around a professional schedule on shooting predominately film.
    Selection of cameras and lenses availabale upon sale. Beautiful studio and great atmosphere.
    https://racquetfilm.com/

8. HorrorLand

HorrorLand Member

9. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Assuming a very tight crop of the actual frame (probably not a good assumption, but whatever), including no substrate or perforations:

A 35mm film frame is 36mm x 24mm, or 1.42 inches by 0.94 inches, so that's 360*240 pixels at 254ppi. Since 254ppi is a rather strange number, but the resulting numbers are perfectly round, might I ask why you ask?

10. Bion1c

Bion1c Member

I think you're making the common error of mixing up input (scan) and output (print) resolution.

A 35mm frame (36x24mm) scanned at 254ppi is going to give you an image file of approx 358x239 pixels. That's a very small image - thumbnail sized.

Typical input (scan) resolutions for 35mm would be 2000-4000 dpi. For example, a pakon scanner will output 3000x2000 images (approx 2127 ppi). You can get a good print from that up to about 12x8. You can scan in higher resolutions but there is a finite limit as to how much detail is in a 35mm neg. imho you'll see a difference from 2000 -> 4000 ppi but you hit diminishing returns beyond that. If you want big prints you'll get a lot more out of shooting medium/large format film than scanning in super high res (with that said, if you do have a 'special' shot in 35mm, scan it in the highest quality you can for archival purposes).

Now on the output (print) side, a resolution of 254ppi is in a pretty normal range. If you're printing an 8x12 image, they're asking for a file size of 2032x3048.

Hope that clears things up a bit.

11. HorrorLand

HorrorLand Member

Hi fellas,

Not sure how many of you are already aware but I have been working on a new film scanner with a mate for quite some time now.
    You can ready up on the project @ RFF here https://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151076
    Anyways, its hitting on 4 years now and we are still nowhere near where we would like to be yet. We have reached a point where we really need some funding in order to move the project along at a much faster pace and so we have set up some donation avenues via Paypal and Patreon if one is so inclined (links can be found in rff siggy). At this stage this project is really not for any profit we would just like to see it come to fruition, if you are interested aside from donations and would like to help with any aspect of the project please PM me - would be much appreciated!

Bests,
    Caleb

Totally forgot this great resource from Ilford/Harman too!
    http://www.localdarkroom.com/

12. akashra

akashra Member

13. Deftone2k

Been looking forward to these videos since they were announced and didnt disappoint!

14. HorrorLand

HorrorLand Member

Welp, been casually on the lookout for a decent 4x5 enlarger for a while now but its really slim pickings it seems, especially out woop woop.
    Whenever something is available its either missing a lot or way too much $$$. Finally came across on good deal nearby, missing a few things but workable for the price. Unfortunately, looks like it got snapped up by some super keen city folk.....

Anyway if anybody has anything or knows of anything please let me know.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  15. myoheddie

myoheddie Member

I think that theres a little boom in darkroom stuff at the moment - all the crappy 35mm enlargers have been trashed, and now theres some demand for decent gear. I've been casually looking out as well, but stuff gets snapped up super fast in Sydney. You just need to jump first and ask questions later.

Good luck in the quest!

16. HorrorLand

HorrorLand Member

How is your Durst going? Got the ilford head on it yet?
    I've gone back to uni so I have half a chance to get stuff in the city now but no car! Its a little annoying when people from the city start coming out here to get their stuff, must be a shortage!

17. trotkiller

trotkiller Member

18. Deftone2k

trotkiller likes this.
  19. Bion1c

Bion1c Member

I'm quite surprised acros is coming back. I didn't believe fuji for a minute when they said they were looking into it. Their strategic direction has been to kill off their film stocks one by one.

Ironically this is bad for me since i massively stocked up on acros when the discontinuation notice came out. A lot of people did. Now they're bringing it back because of that massive spike in demand :lol:

A few things i wonder about though. as part of the reason given for discontinuing it, they said certain materials were becoming hard/unfeasible to obtain. So they're reformulating it. It'll be interesting to see how similar it is to the current version. With other B&W stocks (e.g. tmax), each new versions have been better, so fingers crossed.
    The other ?? is cost. they've jacked up the price 30%+ on all their film products this year..

20. HorrorLand

HorrorLand Member

I guess I'll try this out now, didn't manage to stock up. What scanners u got now man?