1. Win some Team Group goodies in OCAU's latest contest!
    Dismiss Notice

The OCAU "film is not dead" club

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by onrelas, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Sir poppin

Sir poppin Member

What's a cheap rangefinder that I could have a play with? :)

I've been having a look around and the Canonets seem fairly good, but the QL17, which is hyped up the most, seems to go for around $50 up so I'm not sure if it's worth it. The other Canonets, like the junior and 28, go for a bit cheaper but there's not so much hype about them so I'm not sure what to do. I guess I could always resell if it came to it.

Opinions on the Canonets or any other cheapish rangefinders would be cool if anyone has any!

2. two40

two40 Member

i'd recommend the QL17 but not the GIII one as that attracts a higher price and is not as good imo. i'm sure you'll read otherwise everywhere else though but it all comes down to where it was made. GIII = taiwan and earlier QL17 = japan.

copied from another post i made:

or if you really want to be cool buy this:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI...m=130198833487&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=003

3. OP
    OP
    onrelas

onrelas Member

Yeah, any Japanese rangefidner from the 70's should be good. Obvously the faster lenses are nice, but if you want something cheaper theres no harm in going for something a bit slower. The optics are pretty nice on alot of cameras that sort of vintage.
    Olympus, Canon, Yashica, Konica all have nice cameras that will come in uder your budget.
    If you can get a QL17 under budget it'll be nice (the cheapest ive seen one go for is $25), but the QL19's are nice too and cheaper. The Olympus RC's are nice, but seem to be getting more expensive lately. The Yashica Electro 35G series are damn nice, but a little larger than alot of the Canon's and Olympus'.
    You cant really go wrong with any rangefinder of that era, but you just have to remember they're not like modern day cameras. Some have quirky conrtols, will need batteries that are hard to find sometimes, and you'll need to get used to manual focus. But they're compact, look and feel cool (i get positive comments all the time when im in the city with a rangefiner), and they're alot of fun :)

Edit: The Trip that gm:fx posted is pimp! haha

4. Sir poppin

Sir poppin Member

Sweet, thanks for the advice guys! I'll keep an eye out for a Q17 or 19. :thumbup:

Is there anywhere to check what sort of batteries these older cameras use and if they're readily avaliable?

5. two40

two40 Member

most of them use PX625 which are mercury and no longer manufactured due to disposal problems (still are in china but hard to find).

the problem is finding a 1.35v battery that keeps its charge constant throughout its life cycle. the mercury batteries were perfect for that.

you can find replacements here http://www.vintagebatteries.com/
    i found this useful. its a chart of most common cams and which replacement batteries to use http://www.vintagebatteries.com/weinchart.html

just a warning though, these batteries are zinc-air which means you can store them a long time. they are activated by pulling on a strip which charges them via air. once you do this they only last a few months so not an ideal replacement but it's one of the only solutions we have. there are other ways around it but it involves technical know how and frankly too much effort. it's basically converting your cam to take a higher voltage so you can use current day batteries.

6. Sir poppin

Sir poppin Member

Thanks for that! If I were to get a 70's camera (like a Q17 or 19) that had a battery in it already what are the chances that it would still be working?

I think I read that the battery is just for the light metre? If that's true might it be a better idea to buy a cheap external lightmetre?

7. -spam-

-spam- Member

I really dont like your chances there...

You could go an external light meter, but i dont know if the cheaper RFs would have much in the way of manual controls (my ricoh 35FM sure doesnt have anything other than auto). So having it would be kind of useless.

8. fancourt

fancourt Member

No, no its not :thumbdn:

Looks over at trusty ae-1, and eos 5.

Work just bought me a new film scanner too.

9. Psycronic

Psycronic Member

currently have

Minolta

XG-1 with 50mm and 135mm lenses (the 135 needs a service though)

Nikon

F80 with knock off battery grip and 28-80mm f3.5-5.6 nikkor zoom (Silver)
    F80 with knock off battery grip and Tokina 19-35mm zoom (black)
    FG with Nikon E series 36-72mm f3.5 and MD 14 Motor drive (silver)
    FG with Tokina 75-300mm (black)

WTB:
    Pentax 67 (medium format SLR)
    Nikon FM2 or FE2 + motor drive
    any Nikon lenses
    Mamiya RZ67 or RB67

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  10. Irrational

Irrational Member

Add me.

Leica M3, Summicron 50 f2, Voigtlander Lightmeter.

Mamiya RB67 Medium Format

Olympus Trip35
    Various darkroom equip.

Ilford FP4, Fuji Velvia, provia in assorted ISOs from 100 to 800

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  11. two40

two40 Member

got some goodies today. my minolta srt 101 came up. looks to be fooked. might be able to fix it. still happy though cause i got it cheap and the lenses are really nice.

also got my ebay film today.

10 x Velvia 50
    5 x Superia 1600
    1 x Superia 400
    2 x Tmax 3200
    1 x Tmax 400
    2 x Tmax 100
    3 x Fujicolour 100

what i wanted to ask was some recommendations for what conditions to use some of the more exotic films. i never thought i'd be using the 3200 and 1600 films so what the heck should i use them on...?

12. peewee82

peewee82 Member

When might you use 800 or higher ISO without flash with your digital? I guess those are the times. Indoors, parties, etc. You're going to get a lot of grain at 3200. You might not want to hear this but the Tmax 3200's film sensitivity is actually closer to 800. They're made to allow for pushing up to 3200 though. You will still notice a lot of grain at 3200 with that film, but the detail and contrast are handled well as opposed to pushing a film quoted at 800 speed up to 3200.

Velvia 50 is geared towards daytime bright sunshine. I use Tmax 400 or Ilford HP5+ 400 for most general b&w shooting, whereas Tmax 100 is for prestine sharpness and resolution and I personally use it for landscape.

13. doigal

doigal Member

Sweet collection of film there mate.

Tmax 3200 screams film noir looks:
    [​IMG]

14. Iscran

Iscran Member

Gear:
    Voigtlander Bessa R4A
    Zorki Fed 5b + 53mm f2.8
    Trip 35
    Box Brownie.
    CS 21mm f4 pancake M mount.
    speedlite 199A flash
    Minolta IV-F Auto Light Meter
    Gossen Luna Pro SBC Light Meter
    Nikon Coolscan V ED
    Some cable releases.

Film
    Velvia 100
    Superia 100
    Fuji 64T

Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  15. OP
    OP
    onrelas

onrelas Member

Just got this little beast for a few bucks with original case and manual. Its in close to perfect condition and seems to work flawlessly.
    It just looks so damn cool too, and a few people have already commented on it. It is also probably one of the best feeling cameras i've ever held. I dont know why, its just a simple little camera, but i swear the ergonomics of it put many modern cameras to shame.
    You definately dont want to be in a rush when using the onboard light meter though, you need to rely on some sort of black magic to decipher it all.
    For those wondering its a Voigtlander Vito BL which begun being built in 1956, mine is from 1957 though. Over 50 years old and still almost looks new, im impressed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    still needs bit of a clean

16. Alpha_7

Alpha_7 Member

onrelas - Very nice Viogtlander can I ask where you picked it up from ? Couldn't tell it was 50+ years old!

17. ehor

ehor Member

Nice one.

I just got my Ricoh 500 in the post yesterday. No meter in it so I'll have to dig out the old EV number table. :D

Can't wait to get a few rolls through it.

I also have a Ricoh 500 G on the way too. :p

18. ehor

ehor Member

Try ebay :thumbup:

19. OP
    OP
    onrelas

onrelas Member

Hi mate, this one i got from eBay. I was surprised how cheap it was, as there are ones on there now going for around $20. I can never figure out eBay, sometimes you'll have two identical items finishing within a day or two of eachother but one will go for double the price of the other, eventhough theres no difference between them.
    The seller i bought this camera from had another Voigtlander listed that i regret not bidding on now, as im sure it would of been it equally top condition. Oh well, i guess its good to quit whilst you're ahead.
    Oh, for those people in Sydney, theres a guy on www.gumtree.com.au selling off alot of his camera collection. He is located in Auburn and seemed like a decent guy when i spoke to him via email. He invited me to come out and see if i wanted to buy any of his gear, but i havent had the time lately. He seems to have a massive range of stuff available.

20. ehor

ehor Member

Here's my Ricoh 500 rangefinder :)
    Bottom winder, 45mm f/2.8 lens, no metering, 35mm film.

[​IMG]