The OCAU "film is not dead" club

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by onrelas, Feb 9, 2008.

1. peewee82

peewee82 Member

Lol I've done that before. Usually with slide though and the camera can never seem to record the full range. I did it with a fluoro desk lamp. One of those long flat ones I just turned upside down and covered it with diffused paper, sat the film on top and it worked alright. Fluoros are reknowned for unpredictable colour temperatures though so it wasn't always fun trying to get it right. The biggest downfall for me was the curvature of the film.

It can be done though. Ideally you'd be putting the film on a flat surface backlit by a light with a constant brightness and temperature and put like a sheet of glass over your film to keep it flat. But then if the glass is thick or imperfect or has a colouration like most do...oh just use a scanner. :p

2. esjay

esjay Member

So where is the cheapest place to get film developed these days, does Kmart still do it?

3. -spam-

-spam- Member

Do you just want C-41? Dont think they will touch b/w and slide.

4. esjay

esjay Member

yeah just c41, I just shot a roll of kodak T400

5. chilloutbuddy

chilloutbuddy Member

Just some boring test shots with my Trip35+Kodak Ulrtramax 400 :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some crop in LR and exposure/contrast adjustments.

The camera is ok if you get the focus right, and the lens has a nice, "dreamy" bokeh (photo #8). Only problem is that the camera overexposes by a couple of stops, is it possible that the light cells might have lost sensitivity over the years? Turned out it was an easy fix in LR though, I forgot how film is much more forgiving than digital. Its amazing how much detail is hidden in the highlights, even severely blown, even with the crappy jpegs the lab gave me.

I'd love to shoot some more with it but its a costly habbit. I didn't really do any research, just grabbed some film from BigW and developed at the lab closest to work and it ended up costing me almost a $1 a pop :upset:

Oh and I did get asked to stop taking photos that day by some security guard because "the management of the QV doesn't like photos of the building taken, for security reasons". Sure, its reasonable to think that some guy with a 30y.o. camera is just checking for cracks on the wall to plant his C4... This city is pushing me closer to a macro lens every day...

Last edited: Apr 5, 2008
  6. esjay

esjay Member

Nice chillout, I cant wait until my Canon QL17 gets here next week. I still havent finished the roll in my ricoh yet either, seems with film Im much more fussy about what shots I will take, so I havent even finished a 36 exposure roll yet.

Those shots all look a bit underexposed to me, you might have overcompensated in lr?

7. chilloutbuddy

chilloutbuddy Member

Thanks mate, yeah I probably overcompensated. It was a dark rainy day and this is how I remembered it but I did overdo it. I cant wait to see more film pics posted, hurry & take that Ricoh out for a walk :)

8. two40

two40 Member

you've done well with the trip :thumbup:

i have two and im scared to shoot with them. just can't be sure about the focus and one of them is a bit iffy with the shutter. works half the time only. i did put a roll in it and half way through it got jammed. haha :(

9. doigal

doigal Member

Really digging #6 above there mate!

some recent ones of mine:

1 - Ilford Delta 3200 Canon A2
    [​IMG]

2 - Fuji Velvia 50, Trip 35 camera
    [​IMG]

3 - Fuji Velvia 50, Trip 35 camera
    [​IMG]

Absolutly shocked and estatic that velvia 50 with a trip worked so well at night.

10. two40

two40 Member

that is a top effort. go the trip :thumbup:

11. -spam-

-spam- Member

Got this a few weeks back but only just took some photos of it. Needs a battery before i can use it though. My first AF film camera :Paranoid:

[​IMG]

Complete with date back :D

12. OP
    OP
    onrelas

onrelas Member

Nice work there. I've been looking at some AF Canon SLR's to use my lenses with. Was looking at an EOS5 as they seem to be pretty good value, but it might be overkill for the limited use i'll give it. Where did you get yours from? eBay?
    Speaking of evilbay, i got another camera in the mail today, a Canonet 19 :Paranoid: . I've been trying to cut back, but this little beast was going very cheap so i put a bid on it. Ended up costing less than $20, so you cant really go wrong i guess? Everything seems to be working so far too which is a plus! Came with case, filter and original box too :D
    Heres a quick pic i took of it. Didnt use a lightbox or anything, just put it infront of a window on white cardboard with white paper in the background. Little bit overexposed, but ok considering.

[​IMG]

13. -spam-

-spam- Member

Still wouldnt mind an EOS 5 just for something bigger and with the scroll wheel on the back like my 20D. I know someone who has one, just waiting till i have the money to buy it.

I got the 500 for free. A friend of my dads gave it to us (thats how we have scored nearly all of our film gear).

Nice looking Canonet too. Still want a Trip 35 to take to uni and then develop the stuff when i get home in the afternoon :D

14. Azrael

Azrael Member

Ok, youve had the OpticFilm for a bit, how do you find it now?

Im debating between the Opticfilm 7200 and the Coolscan V ED, after my Coolscan 2000 died.

15. doigal

doigal Member

Still goes well. Sometimes I find velvia a bit of a pain to get right though with colours.

No expirence on the coolscan, so i couldnt say either way.

16. esjay

esjay Member

This finally arrived in my letterbox today - an original Canonet QL17 with a 40mm f1.7 lens. I put a battery in it, and all seems to be working fine so Im very happy with it.

[​IMG]

17. two40

two40 Member

so that's a gen 1 you have, excellent. they were made in japan as opposed to the much saught after GIII made outside of japan. features do not justify the GIII prices over the GI. looks like a clean example too. glad it all works. have fun with it ;)

on a personal note i experienced a blank roll today. my first film roll to come out with nothing. long story in link, cut short it was a badly loaded film in an SLR. i free spun 36 frames but thank god it was a test roll shot in about 30 min earlier today. :lol:

18. wakko

wakko Member

funny... bl about the film :D hehe

when I was looking for my Gen2 QL17 (meter check the only diff?) there were heaps of GIIIs around, but I purposely avoided them in quest for the 'classic' kinda feel

Also just picked up a Canonet 19 but didn't get a funky box :( *sniff*... got the manual and ORIGINAL warranty card though! :D that was awesome... (thanks Ben ;))

19. two40

two40 Member

mm the gen 2's are the best of the QL17's. not sure if esjays is actually a 1 or a 2.

copied this off another post i made a couple of weeks ago:

of the 40/1.7 QL17's (they did release some with different lens) ---
    gen 1 made in japan no test light - marked as QL17
    gen 2 made in japan battery test light inside viewfinder - marked as QL17 <--- best one
    gen 3 made in taiwan LED battery test light under viewfinder - marked QL17 GIII

love the canonet 19. i've got a bell and howel one. i think it's one of the oldest of the 19's made. so much fun with the winder on the bottom. i wouldn't use it a lot as it's fairly heavy but still, lots of fun and a worthy one for the collection. :)

20. djfiesta

djfiesta Member

I know the cheap nice ones are great, but im starting to look for some medium format stuff, some of the old cheap TLR's, like a yashica mat 124 or something.

Either that or a Bessa R2, a nice M mount rangefinder, which i can hopefully save to get that noctilux, or 35/1.2 nokton on.

Man im a greedy guts.