The OCAU "film is not dead" club

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by onrelas, Feb 9, 2008.

1. OP
    OP
    onrelas

onrelas Member

I know what you mean.
    Over the last couple of months i've been thinking the same thing.
    I've bidded on a couple 124G's but missed out a couple of times. I'm also saving up to buy a Bessa or Leica (if i can find a nice deal) when i go overseas later this year.
    Just wish i had more money though =/

2. Takumi

Takumi Member

hey daniel

if u want tlr, look for a mamiya one they are like a brick

i used to use one

3. peewee82

peewee82 Member

Was browsing films on B&H and noticed some outdated and discontinued Agfa Scala B&W slide film. I looked it up wondering if anyone could actually develop the stuff and came across: www.dr5.com

I then discovered that this place in the US seems to be pretty much the only place that does it. However, they also do it from B&W Negative film! With films like Ilford HP5+ giving better results than the actual slide Agfa film.

Below is their examples of HP5+ in their two difference developers:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Looks pretty sexy. Have to mail it away and it's not very cheap, but it's still interesting. Has anyone worked with B&W slides before?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2008
  4. OP
    OP
    onrelas

onrelas Member

yes.
    sexy indeed.....

5. edx23

edx23 Member

Hmm, I know cross processing E6 films in C41 chemistry makes a pretty easy job of turning a slide film into an ugly hard to print negative (art students love it for some reason).

But true BW films are designed to simply develop the silver layer, whereas this guy has found a way to develop a positive image using a dye that sublimates the film base (probably only through unexposed areas) and then the silver would be bleached off leaving a positive image. So its kinda similar to E6 in a way. But BW films don't actually have dye layers like colour films do. So how did he do it?

And don't all BW film bases have a grey tint to them anyway? Wouldn't this make the highlights rather smoky?

Anyone know what happens when you throw a normal B+W film through an E6 developer? I'm guessing you'd get some sort of positive image. Wouldn't the second bleach clear everything? I worked in a camera store/lab for 4 years i probably should know this...

6. chilloutbuddy

chilloutbuddy Member

When the my EOS600 shutter died it felt kinda weird. After all it was my first "serious" camera and I had paid $1,000 for it :shock:, second hand, in 1994 if I remember correctly. I tried to calculate how many actuations it had but it was impossible. I toyed with the thought of replacing the shutter, even got a quote, but $300 seemed too much for a camera I knew I'd be using very rarely.

Anyway on the way back from work today something cought my eye in the window of Camerahouse in Elizabeth St.

I walzed in wallet-first :)

[​IMG]

I got twins!!!

The EOS 630 is the cross-Atlantic sister of my EOS 600, same "brick" design and features. And it will mount my L glass too, plus the Zenitar 16mm fisheye that is on the way (I hope) from Ukraine (wish me luck with that).

Anyway this baby was on special $99 including a fresh battery, manual and a crappy strap. The shutter and back are a little bit scratched but it seems to work fine. If it has 10,000 actuations left in it I'm happy, considering the cost of buying/developing film.

I'm back in business :)

7. greebs

greebs Member

Count me in!

Canon EOS5 - mostly with a nice wide angle lens attached.
    Mamiya C220 TLR (circa late 1960's) - play around with it sometimes.
    Still have quite a bit of Provia, Velvia and Astia in the freezer.
    Nikon Super Coolscan 4000 ED film scanner.

I use the EOS5 fairly regularly for wide angle landscapes. Nothing beats a nice piece of Velvia film.

8. OP
    OP
    onrelas

onrelas Member

Oh added to list :)
    Anyone else?? We have to try and get to 50 members atleast! :p

9. Thraxeh

Thraxeh Member

Whats a good B&W film to start on that i can develop at a consumer photo place ?

10. two40

two40 Member

Ilford XP2 Super :thumbup:

11. chilloutbuddy

chilloutbuddy Member

I dont think I'm on the list yet?
    Canon EOS 630 & Trip 35 :)

12. Iscran

Iscran Member

13. OP
    OP
    onrelas

onrelas Member

* Added you now chilloutbuddy :)

Iscran, hows the Bessa R4A?
    I'm about to get an R2A as my first interchangeable lens rangefinder. I liked the R4A with the built in wide angle framelines, but they were above my budget. Where about did you get yours from? B&H or Cameraquest etc?
    cheers

Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  14. sir_bazz

sir_bazz Team Papparazi

Had a roll of exposed Provia 100F sitting in the draw that I finally got developed.

Must've taken this around a year ago but anyway here's one from the set.

bazz.

[​IMG]

15. two40

two40 Member

how gorgeous is that. the background makes me dizzy. :thumbup:

16. chilloutbuddy

chilloutbuddy Member

Nailed it again mate, beautiful light.
    Flagstaff gardens?

17. scruff

scruff RIP

Awesome shot dude. Your kids should be models when they grow up just so that when the modelling people are like 'do you have a portfolio' they can be like 'oh yes, here's my portfolio. I have one photo in there from each day of my life'

18. MalcomX

MalcomX Member

that really is quite an impressive shot, nice work

19. Iscran

Iscran Member

Excellent. The viewfinder is incredibly bright and I can focus it down to about EV1 or 0 using the bright frame and focus patch. It's built like a tank and the internal light meter seems to be really reliable for night exposures up to 8 seconds and it spot on for sunny 16.

If the exposure falls below 1 second the camera can shoot with the lens open for up to 8. Just be careful though because when it flashes 1 slowly it can be anywhere from 1 second to 8. Though I think this is the case with the other bessa cameras.

If you're using it for wide angle lenses, say 35 and 21 or 35 and 25 perhaps it would be a good camera. Don't get it though if you use any lenses above 35mm as the frame lines for 50mm are about the same as 90mm framelines on the R3A. So if you've got a 35, 50 and 75 say stick with the R3 or R2. Can't remember how the R2 is different from the R3. I think it's that the R3 has a 1:1 viewfinder. IT eats up wide angle though which is my area. You could use the 50mm on the R4A, but it wouldn't be as easy to focus it or frame it.

It's about as heavy as my Sigma 10-20 with a lens and film in it, the shutter lock is awesome. Just be careful to depress the shutter slowly, there is no 1/2 click like on the SLRs to indicate metering has just started. Need to press it slowly until the leds come on to show what it's metering. This hasn't been a problem for me though. Cable releases work really well in it along with bulb mode.

Film advance leaves about 2mm between frames. Can get 38 shots out of a 36 roll in it. I bought the brown leather case for the bessa L, it's a perfect fit.

That's about all I can think of at the moment. I bought it from B&H. Adorama stuffed me around and it was on back order for 3 weeks before I canceled and ordered through B&H. B&H had it to me in 3 days.

I just posted up a panoramic taken with it on the 21mm color Skopar F4 pancake. Seems quite sharp even wide open at F4. Not as sharp as it would be if I stopped it down though.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  20. peewee82

peewee82 Member

Nice shot bazz. Mmm Provia. :D

I scanned these at uni where the computers are calibrated as if the rest of the world doesn't exist. Prints in there look great, but I take scans home and go eeeeeeeeew. I gotta sort that out.

Anyway the reason I say this is cos I was going to show some slide and the highlights are gone in a lot when they really aren't on the film.

Ahh Velvia 100, the best tranny film for shooting in the shade! Beats the other Velvia's for this in my opinion. The warm saturation seems to nicely neutralise the skin tones while keeping the other colours rich. Provia in the shade goes so blue. And other Velvias just make the skin red anyway lol.

Fuji Velvia 100 @ 80. 120 film...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back to Provia. I'll be ordering a shiteload of it as I'm going to shoot my project on it this year. Excitiiing. I'm also going to order lots more b&w 120 landscape fun. Hoorays.