The OCAU P3V4X Forum -- the fall of a community

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by Ripper, Jul 15, 2001.

1. Ripper

Ripper Member

I mourn the fall of a community, which once thrived. A virtual community brought to virtual extinction. A place where individuals sharing a thing in common would once gather and share ideas, voice opinions, solicit assistance and most importantly offer assistance to people they did not and likely would never know, meet, or see. It was a place where we all shared a bond. It was a fraternity. A brotherhood. It mattered not where we were from, what we did for a living, the color of our skin, nor our religious or political affiliation. We all shared an interest in or were owners of an Asus P3V4X motherboard. And that was enough.

It was a community -- a place to gather. It was a place to participate in great conversation or to just listen-in on other’s conversations. There were scholars, philosophers, scoundrels, comedians, hopeless optimists, and eternal pessimists. There were words of wisdom bestowed and dangerous advice given. Here was given praise, encouragement and admonishment. It was a place where we could share in the ecstasy of victory or the anguish of defeat. A place where we could scream and there was always a sympathetic ear. It was a place where we embraced newcomers and wished farewell to those who moved on. It was a virtual community, but just as real as the one we reside in.

A community, virtual or otherwise, is not an isolated unit. It is part of a larger society and cannot stand unaffected by events affecting the society of which it is a part. The OCAU forums were forced to shutdown for some time as a means of self-defense. This attack on our society was the equivalent of a nuclear bomb in it’s affect. Our community and society was forced to scurry underground with no warning. Our society and community was decimated and laid to waste. We waited and waited for the all-clear signal and when we emerged the landscape was changed forever. Our homes were gone. Our community no longer existed. Where once stood a thriving community, now stood a crater. We could never go home again.

No matter how hard we try, we can never duplicate the community that once was. Events have changed us. Time has marched on. It has changed the place we once called home. While we may be able to stake out a plot of “internet” real estate and carve out a few megabytes on some server, it will not be the same. The indescribable, immeasurable thing that made the P3V4X forum what it was, cannot be again. The delicate balance of personalities, like the balance of ingredients and seasonings in just the right proportions, has been lost. The recipe was never written down. As Darwin’s theory of evolution applies to animals, it also applies to communities. The same ingredients in a primordial soup today would not yield the same results as it did millions of years ago. There is happenstance, luck, and a certain randomness that applies to our real and “virtual” world.

We pack up our belongings and shuffle off to other places and try to make a go of it. For some it will be in the land of Intel, for others a country called Via. We are refugees -- displaced and without a homeland. We will visit each other in our new homes, but it will not be the same. It will be different -- but can it be as powerful, as full of life, as good as the original? Only time will tell!

My lament for my community --

I mourn the fall of this community. I mourn the death of the P3V4X forum. I guess what bothers me the most is I never got to say goodbye. There was no warning of it’s imminent demise. We all knew that the P3V4X was getting long in the tooth, and that it, along with it’s forum, would eventually pass. I never saw the demise of the forum coming so soon. It was suddenly snatched away. I just always thought it would die a peaceful death in it’s sleep, not pass in a sudden and unexpected event. Perhaps some feel it was better to “die” this way, than a slow deteriorating death. There are some that like me, would have wanted to be there, at it’s deathbed, to squeeze it’s hand and tell it what a wonderful friend it had been and that it will be truly missed.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2001
  2. Griff

Griff Member

Well said Ripper.

3. h2k

h2k Member

Whoa.

4. Odd

Odd Member

Maybe we can got the word P3V4X inside a little parenthesis just under the heading of VIA HARDWARE ;). This would make it easier for the owners to post in the right forum.

5. Goalie

Goalie Member

P3V4X-R.I.P????

Superb memorial Ripper, thank-you-but are we truely dead? I still haven't found the great alternative to my P3V4X. 815 is not it-I still am not convinced about the P4(will atleast wait for the .13 version and Rambus/DDR fallout)and am certainly not ready to go over to AMD just yet.(Although for awhile it did look like a very compelling choice). My 866EB on the P3V4X still is an admirable performer. Rock solid and does everything it supposed to with room to tweak.
    How many of our community has switched or like me are still waiting on the sidelines? Of those that did switch-did you find a "significant performance" difference? True Ripper-our forum will never be the same-but for me the P3V4X still lives!:)

6. GRBaker

GRBaker Member

As my wife would say 'What a pile of shit your talking today'

7. OP
    OP
    Ripper

Ripper Member

My P3V4X still serves me well. As far as I am concerned it is still a viable product and yields performance and stability that is still very repectable, even by todays standards. Unfortunately it seems as though it has been end-of-lifed by Asus and with the Winbond clockgen release the P3V4X lost some of it's luster. The newer P3V4X's lack the auora of the ICS-based versions.

I am not ringing the death knell for our beloved motherboard, yet! It's just that a wonderful community built around our mutual love and disdain for this motherboard has vanished. Rarely has silicon and PCB challenged us to this extent and rewarded those that put forth what seems at times heroic efforts, with such performance and stability.

I too am awaiting patiently to see what my next "diamond-in-the rough" will be. Perhaps the Asus CUSL2 Black pearl, maybe I-will BD-133u 815EP B stepping, or the KT266-based mobo's. Maybe it's still the venerable KT-133A or after a few more price reductions and after the bitterness I have for Rambus fades (if ever), the the P4. Could it be the KT266 or AMD 760/761? Things certainly are interesting technology-wise and will get more interesting yet !!

GRBaker -- my wife also says I am full of !@#$, but what does she know !! ;)

8. Fireblade

Fireblade Member

What a dramatic bunch of bullshit. Why can't you just use the VIA forum for your P3V4X stuff? I think the reason why there's not much P3V4X chat is because people are moving on to other main boards, not because of the forum.

9. OP
    OP
    Ripper

Ripper Member

It is quite a bit melodramatic, I'll admit -- but you misunderstand my intent. This was written early in the morning (U.S.) when I would usually engage in a flurry of activity in the forum and frankly I miss and have missed this forum. Not because it was a P3V4X forum, but because of the content and personalities.

It is not my intention to lobby to re-establish a dedicated P3V4X forum. I can't really say that it would be appropriate. Time and technology does march on and so do the forums. All I am saying is that situations outside of the community sped it's demise despite the fact that it's members were very active and the forum was extremely valuable. I will miss the forum and it's members. I am sure that if and when the P3V4X forum is published in a read-only format, others who were not as active participants will be able to see the quantity and quality of content contained within this single forum. There was no other forum like and it is doubtful that there will ever be.

Although it's time has passed, we are allowed to mourn the fact that an active and unique community is no more. I will post in other forums and I will replace my P3V4X in time (btw -- my primary machine is still a BX). I will continue to post in the VIA forum. Unless you were an active part of that P3V4X community, it is very difficult to understand -- it will be missed.

That's all there is to it and nothing more.

10. EazyduzIt

EazyduzIt Member

I thought it was well written and thought out. I could plainly see that Ripper was not advocating the old forums as they were, but a nostalgia for the past. We've all done it.

I came to these forums as it turned up on a search for the P3V4X. I was embarking on building my first computer and wanted to know what mobo would be the best. In part, by reading the threads I gathered together the pros and cons. In the end I purchased P3V4X and I'm extremely happy with it. :D

Ripper. I think peeps from outside Australia, often bring something fresh to these forums, whether it is perspective or experiences. Likewise for other forums outside of Australia.

Perhaps you veterans of the P3V4X board, could make the via hardware board as community orientated as the one it replaced. Time will tell.

Cheers.

11. VooDoo

VooDoo Large Member

Umm. this may sound REALLY weird but have you actually ASKED for a forum. i did a search and while there are many ppl whinging and complaining nobody has actually asked for one.

Maybe (and i know this sounds wierd to you P3V4X users) you should talk to Agg and ask and not just whinge about it

12. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

Everybody is missing the point...it's not whether a P3V4X forum exists or not, it's more that at one point in time the P3V4X Forum at OCAU just happened to be a place where a bunch of guys n gals who knew a lot about a lot caught up with each other.

It was a happy coincidence I stumbled into, and for a while I was pretty certain that anything that happened in the world of computers which was noteworthy would be discussed intelligently and with some humour.

I'm not going to be as dramatic as Ripper, but yes i miss the old forum days :)

Computers are funny things...anyone involved with them measures nostalgia for the past in months rather than years...

13. Powermike

Powermike Member

I have nothing to add, I already posted my thoughts earlier, I'm also really missing the old community....

...and I'm still using the good old P3V4X, first hated it, then loved it...

Powermike

14. NormM

NormM Member

I don't think I have to worry anymore... My P3V4X gave up the ghost the other day. Turned her on, couldn't find the HDD on boot. No HDD detected in BIOS (everything else, DVD,CD etc is fine). Had HDD checked out but it's fine. Put back in system..not even a boot up screen, no bits,burps nothing. Oh well, have 12 days left on the warranty so maybe....

15. Nemesis

Nemesis Member

hmm.....

Has anyone asked yet if the forum could be put back up?

i have this mobo - and i used the old P3V4X forum alot - if i ever wondered about something - no matter how trivial - an answer was never far away

Bring her back i say :cool:

if no-one else will ask - i will :eek:

16. Manaz

Manaz (Damned or Belated)

Re: hmm.....

Here's a poll someone created

17. Nemesis

Nemesis Member

ahhh

Very Good

18. Dave H

Dave H Member

As someone who had a few hundred posts in the old forums I think that the sense of commmunity PersianImmortal speaks of is very real aside from the board that brought us all there.
    I'm still running my P3V4X and wondering what the next mobo I use will be, but I'm not done with this one yet!
    This was my first "virual community", and first computer build, and I have to say it was an incredible experience. The likes of PersianImmortal, Ripper, and many other regulars really made the place feel like home.
    Sorry to see it go, but knew it would happen one day! I'm glad, however, to see some of the same people still around and working on other things!
    My best to you all!
    Dave H

19. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

I gave up my P3V4X a couple of months back in favour of a P4 system with a P4X266, but I think we can still try and recreate something of that community atmosphere here.

I notice this forum has been dying a bit lately, and I probably post more on the Via Arena and Via Hardware forums, but I'm sure a lot of the "good ol' boys" of the P3V4X forum days like DaveH are still around and would participate in ravamping this place.

If you guys are reading this, post what you're up to, what system you have, and anything else of interest. Let's get back on track :)

20. Peacekeeper

Peacekeeper Member

Hi all

I still am running my P3v4x but in my son's box and with a p3-450. Still running stable and happy. My current board is an Asus TUA266 with a 1G P3 on board. had to use it Asus gave it to me as a freebe .It at least gives me a slight upgrade path though I will probably leave it as is except for a video update for next 12 mths.

Still active here but only where the poster has not been answered. I am still active or intend to be on Asus Netq when new forum arrives.

Have a happy xmas and new year all.
    Peace