The OCAU P3V4X Forum -- the fall of a community

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by Ripper, Jul 15, 2001.

1. Peacekeeper

Peacekeeper Member

Post 5000 forum replies and assist them reporting web site errors etc.

Been doing this for 22mths now so they do appreciate the 2 of us who kept it up. The freebes are few and far between but they came up with the offer for us to enduser test random hardware. Now for a GF4 (no way they are too stingy to pass 1 of those on when they are ready).

Tony

2. StarDuster

StarDuster Member

Yeah Tony, you do a lot better job of handling problems on NetQ than Asus does of keeping it up and running.

BTW, Good to see you.

--SD

3. Peacekeeper

Peacekeeper Member

Good 2 CU 2 :)

They are making a better forum and talking with Chris and I several times a week asking for our ideas. Last one was we organised 12 "experts in asus boards" to answer a survey re asus issues. They or at least 1 section of asus are really trying to improve their service. The sticking point is their support are who think they are untouchable and can answer anything (if they answer)

Having netq down gives us a rest. It was really painfull in the last days of netq having every 1's post posting up 2 40 times in a row and wiping out our replies.

Peace

4. StarDuster

StarDuster Member

Here Bort, I reactivated the link to my 3DMark results for the PentiumIII 700 that I used to run o/c'd to 994MHz. Check it out... http://gamershq.madonion.com/compare2k1.shtml?1675268

--SD

5. Bort

Bort Member

Hey, thanks for that StarDuster. Was there much difference in system config between the 5948 score with the GeForce3, and the 2248 score with the SDR? Or was the increase mainly due to the video card?

PS My 3DMark2001 score is in my sig if you want to compare it (If you didn't already)

6. StarDuster

StarDuster Member

The system with the 2248 score is another system I built. It actually sports a P3 933 o/c'd to 994MHz. But it has the same ram as I had when I scored that bench with the 700. For the most part the config is about the same except for the CPU. I don't have the 700 anymore, shame actually, it was the most impressive CPU I've ever owned and I can't get the 933 any higher than I got the 700. The 700 came out of my primary system (the 6628 score) that I put a 1GHz cpu in, but I've made numerous changes to it since then, such as going with 768mb of Kingmax PC150 ram.

In answer to your question, the difference is totally the video card.

--SD

7. The Beast

The Beast Member

WOW!

Here I am Ripper :)

What a blast from the past! It's great to see the old crowd gathered in the same place at the same time :D

Ripper, I couldn't agree more with the sentiments you've penned so well, it really was a shame when the old forums went down and we lost our history... most of us where in that forum from day one. Hell I remember us asking Agg for it in the first place!

Unfortunately my old P3V4X died in her sleep a while back, dead as a door nail. Still, she served me well, running 24/7, overclocked to the hilt and lovin' it. I've still got her sitting near by, can't bare to bury the old girl... as I look lovingly on the ICS heatsink, cold boot wire mod and every flexible bios chip :(

When she went I opted for an Abit SA6R... but I really wish I had of choosen the CUV4X as it seems to be the board most of the old crew went onto (Teddy et al). Still the SA6R is now serving as a file server whilst my serious computing is done on an AMD (yeah, the dark side). I've been running a 1.33 Tbird on an Epox 8K7A+, but this weekend I'm switching to an Abit KR7A-RAID and XP1600+. Intel have yet to convert me back.

I'll leave you all with the introduction I wrote when I formed the P3V4X site I opened almost 2 years ago, as I think even today it is still applicable. Perhaps one day I'll tidy up the site for old times sake - after all, it still gets a few hundred visitors a week :)

--------
    Welcome to the unofficial P3V4X site.

Every now and then a motherboard comes along that captures the imagination of hardware freaks everywhere. Almost invariably, these motherboards prove to offer outstanding results, if only one can figure out how to optimise their power.

This site aims to capture the efforts of hundreds of hardcore motherboard users currently tweaking their P3V4Xs until they bleed, and provide that info in a readily digestible format.

We can only succeed with your help. If you have any useful information, or have conducted benchmarks or tests you feel would improve our collective understanding of how to squeeze more out of this motherboard then please leave your details here.

COME VISIT US IN THE FORUM!!!
    --------

8. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

Glad to see another one back!!

You know, from what I've read about the new Northwood P4s being overclocked to 3gig and beyond, if Via comes up with a motherboard that complements (and enhances) that sort of overclocking, we might just have a reincarnation of the P3V4X and those heady days!!

9. Bort

Bort Member

Successor to the P3V4X... the P4V8X? :)

Then we'll have people complaining of trying to get 8X AGP to work, that it only runs at 4X :p

Beast... I still check back to P3V4X Fest every now and again - it's a good site, don't let it die.

Kinda like the old T-Shirts used to say:
    Old P3V4X's never die, they just go faster...

10. OP
    OP
    Ripper

Ripper Member

Well, it seems that nostalga has the old boys peeking in every now and then.

Hello Beast !! You truly did all of us P3V4X "groupies" a service by providing your time on both your website and the forum.

My P3V4X is still going strong with my GF2/MX and PIII 600 O/C'ed to 852MHz. Been running Win2K and don't think I've seen a "BSOD" or lockup since installing the S370-133 Slotket and Win2000 sp2 about 1 year ago. What a testament to stability !!!!

I too have moved over to the "Dark side" on my other BOX and have considered, more than once, on pulling the plug on the 'ole P3V4X and going with a "budget" value box based on the Duron. However, I cannot bring myself to doing it for both sentimental reasons and the fact that THIS BABY IS SO FRIGGIN STABLE and FAST considering the technology.

While I understand the reasons behind the elimination of the P3V4X forum, I do miss the "community". I have looked within other forums at OCAU and other O/C sites and have found none that can compare to what the P3V4X forum had become. The knowledge, the desire to help, the wit, the friendship . . .

. . . Ahhhh -- me wipes a tear from my eye. :(

It's nice that we all pop in every once in a while and stay in touch. While I may not post up as much as I used to, I am always popping in to check up on old friends !!! ;)

11. StarDuster

StarDuster Member

What's the URL?

--SD

12. Peacekeeper

Peacekeeper Member

13. StarDuster

StarDuster Member

14. rgrace

rgrace Member

Still using

the P3v4x board and still using the forums...
    A few upgrades and someday I'll get a new Mobo but for now
    it seems fine.