The Official Aion Thread

Discussion in 'MMOs' started by Xyph, May 17, 2009.

1. Nightwish

Nightwish Member

Tera will pickup next month as it's going F2P and I guarantee the servers will get alot busier...

I too found Aion to be a huge grind... mind you it used to be a million times worse than it is now. It's nowhere near as grindy these days. That said I never did make it to max level. It's still too grindy (and laggy >_<) for my tastes

2. Smashwa

Smashwa Member

I have some many accounts with NCSoft.... Just spent 30 minutes trying to work them all out and find the right one which has my aion game account was under. Then migrating that to a NC account to ages and I had to create a new one since it wouldnt let me migrate it to one that already existed.... BAH.

3. Badger

Badger Caveat lector

That was annoying, it wouldn't let me log in with old details, until I'd migrated...

4. dslazar

dslazar Member

just installed this but i get massive pings like 800-900... anyone else?

5. ernie

ernie Member

All these new MMO's seem to be massive nowadays. I had the Aion 2.0 DVD from before it went free to play so I installed that first and let it update online to 3.7. It also pays to have the game on an SSD or hybrid hard drive for best performance or you will get lag as you move into areas where objects haven't loaded yet.

Aion use the Cryengine from Crysis which is GPU hungry, I suggest a nVidia Gtx 660 or better.

The servers are in Texas, I get about 350-400ms which is annoying but I am use to it. People that use Battleping or one of the commercial proxies say they get about a 250ms ping or better.

- Ernie.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  6. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

battleping free works, but u have to dc every so often for battleping to reset the timer. i think it was around 200ms (down from 700)

7. ernie

ernie Member

The grind is simply to pass the time between other activities. There are two servers the standard server, and the Fast Track Server (FTS) on FTS you level much faster, you switch between the two by clicking on the blue icon just to the right of your skill bar.

Aion is about world PvP both solo and in group, along with instances for PvE and PvP, there are over 50 of those to choose from. You can do your first solo instance at level 16, and your first group instance at level 25. It takes me about 6 hours to get a toon to level 16 and a couple of days to level 25. The time between levels increases exponentially.

- Ernie.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  8. Nightwish

Nightwish Member

I was playing the F2P when it just released and I think the fast track was bugged back then and not giving the proper boosted experience.... The biggest killer for me with Aion was the lag. I click a skill, wait a good 5sec then it FINALLY starts casting... and just plain walking was a nightmare, bouncing backwards all the time due to lag... erk!

9. ernie

ernie Member

As I mentioned above, there are 3 main sources of lag.

Bad ping - Use Battleping or another proxy to fix. Should be about 220-250ms

Slow GPU - Use a nVidia Gtx 660 video card or better, Aion uses Cryengine from Crysis.

Slow I/O - Use an SSD or hybrid hard disk for the game data. Aion is 24GB of data with stuff loading as you move.

If your system is slow, then you will get lag. 4GB of RAM is a good idea too.

- Ernie.

10. Nightwish

Nightwish Member

yea my pc is old and crappy, there is no point in upgrading it as its well overdue for replacement.., but my lag is due to using 3g internet. last time i tried a service like battleping it got my latency to 700ms :S (yes it was that bad lol)

11. ernie

ernie Member

Aoin 4.0 launched on June 26th. next week. Not sure exactly what time.

Two new classes of characters, new maps, gear, level increase to 65, and Free To Play. http://na.aiononline.com/betrayal/

- Ernie.

12. Nightwish

Nightwish Member

as per the post above the new xpac is now live. I am keen to get in and try. Aion should be far more enjoyable now that I have a new PC that runs at more than 10FPS :lol: and my internet is a bit faster in general than when I last tried to play. Less lag = :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I've tried to play Aion many times and while I love the game for it's beauty I still find it really hard to get into. I'm still yet to get to end game :( I'm looking forward to trying a gunslinger as they look awesome. I can't wait to get a copy as i'm dead keen to get into it again :D

13. ernie

ernie Member

I am loving 4.0, in particular the new classes, I rolled and Elyos Songweaver last week, on the Siel server, and have got it up to level 30, it's a jack of all trades, it can dps, heal, and do other tricks, great fun. There are a few of us on Siel, in the Elyos legion called "Overclockers Australia" if you see us around say hi.

- Ernie.

14. Nightwish

Nightwish Member

I think i'm on Tiamat at the moment. I noticed there is a guild called "Overclockers Australia" I spotted someone in that guild in Sanctum the other day and I can't help but wondered if that's affiliated with this forum

I'm an lvl 18 Elyos Gunslinger. It's nice to not hear my character always saying KAJEVENPACK! whenever I cast a spell or use a skill xD

I'm disappointed that even with my new PC Sanctum is still not runnning smoothly, it must require some real beastly specs to not have some kind of graphical lag. A million times better than my old clapped out desktop but not as smooth as I was expecting :( (funny thing is the rest of the world runs smooth as butter on the highest settings, it's just sanctum that's a tad clunky. But I suspect it's a combo graphical/internet lag)

Either way i'm having fun. It's funny to see a million songweavers and Gunslingers running around and the amount of tiny/freaky characters is shocking lol Tonight assuming there is no maint I'm gonna do the solo dungeon which will be good for fast easy XP. Should be good ^_^

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  15. afcca

afcca Member

Had the WoW itch again, so thought I'd give Aion another shot. I played in the beta and for a while after release, but ran into a wall while leveling and didn't like doing the same quests over and over so gave up.

New game now it seems, and I'm liking it. Playing a Ranger, level 12 at the moment and taking my time.

I have however run into Crab Norris again. Many many deaths were had trying to take this guy down when I first met him years ago on my sorcerer. Once again he dances on my bones.

Kingler uses bubble beam, bubble beam one shots level 12 ranger -.-

16. Nightwish

Nightwish Member

That darn huge crab out front of Vereton Citadel? that damn thing killed me a few times the first time I started playing Aion :( Last time I was levelling in that area on my gunslinger I didn't see it though which was sad :( It's funny watching it mow down unsuspecting n00bs in it's path :D

I admit the first time I saw it I was like YEAH BIG CRAB! LETS KILL IT! "SPLAT" .... RUUUUUNNNNN!!!!!!!! LOL

17. afcca

afcca Member

Yep, that's him. When I first started I was playing with a friend and we looked it up and thought we could handle it, being WoW vets... About 15 deaths later we gave up, and a level 40 something came along and died to him as well LOL.

I'll go back when I'm a lot higher level, 24 at the moment. 2 more levels and I've caught my sorc.

18. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

I still play a little but, but dislike 4.0, and the shift towards a tiered playerbase. I'd rather everyone pay a sub...

Paksigue is funny though, in one of the patches, they introduced a PvE arena type thing, and he is one of the bosses, and they actually renamed him in game to Crab Norris... Made us laugh.

19. ausghostdog

ausghostdog Member

Currently downloading this, anything I should know?

20. ernie

ernie Member

Anyone tried to get Aion running on SteamOS yet?

I am keen to get away from Windows, Aion and GW2 are the only two things keeping me away from Linux.

UPDATE: Aion 4.5 looks like it just came out today (30th-Jan-2014)

http://na.aiononline.com/steel-cavalry/

Still downloading the update, don't know anything about it yet.

- Ernie.