The Outer Worlds - from Obsidian

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by boneburner, Dec 7, 2018.

1. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I always have to have a quiet chuckle every time a game glorifies 1950s/60s USA as some sort of "golden era of everything".

Beyond that, not that long ago in video games there were quite a few "clone" games of major series from competing companies. That kind of died for a bit, and I'm happy to see it make a comeback. As great as any game is, it's always nice to see a different team grab the concept and do something similar. Not just "open world FPS RPG" similar, but right down to the nitty gritty, and seeing how different creative processes present a similar story.

tunksy and DangerMaus like this.
  2. asho444

asho444 Member

looks great! getting a little borderlands vibe from it too which is never a bad thing! will definitely watch this space

3. tunksy

tunksy Member

Given ive almost finished hl2 for the first time i do have an extensive back catalogue of games to play hahah

walker_2003 likes this.
  4. power

power Member

we all do :)

Those two fallouts are really in a good place, good price and just begging to be enjoyed by anyone with an interest in the series.

DangerMaus and tunksy like this.
  5. tunksy

tunksy Member

If they're as good as oblivion was i should get some good hours out of them.

6. power

power Member

i'd say heaps better. the one thing that always killed Oblivion for me was the levelling enemies, there's a few other things but yeah way better IMO.

DangerMaus and tunksy like this.
  7. MrBS

MrBS Member

I'm in love after watching the gameplay video. Day one.

8. power

power Member

I hope the sales obliterate FO76

9. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

When are you not? ;)

2SHY and elvis like this.
  10. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

Fallout NV will also give access to the New California mod which is better than Fallout 4 IMO. Also agree that they're better than Oblivion, which is easily my least fav TES game.

11. power

power Member

haha, i wasn't on the FO76 or Battlefront 2 hype trains so yeah!? :)

12. metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

Looks better than '76, that's for sure- a little bit of borderlands-ey style thrown in there too.

13. Drizz06

Drizz06 Member

This game will murder 76, May not have as big day 1 Bethesda/fallout hype but should do well over first few weeks if it turns out as good as it looks.

14. metalrain

metalrain Member

I don't like the UI, but hopefully they'll have mod support so that could be fixed, otherwise, looks promising. Fallout New Vegas is my most favourite RPG, one of my favourite games of all time really. BUT I'm tempering my expectations though, I don't enjoy being heartbroken :(

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    DangerMaus likes this.
  15. Major Neb

Major Neb Member

Just out of interest, seeing as the major players in RPG from OCAU are all in the same room...... where is a good place to start to force feed myself through an RPG? I mean I tried Oblivion, I tried X-Com, hell I even tried The Bard's Tale back in the day. However at some point I always find them too over whelming with choices etc within the RPG system. From this it becomes inevitable that my time in the game becomes sporadic and less enjoyable meaning I struggle to keep up with the story as well.

I can't help but think that I am missing out here though. So I would like to find an RPG and stick at it until I understand the RPG system and enjoy the story. I want to play an RPG that I think about when I am not playing it! I prefer sci-fi genre far more than fantasy and so was thinking maybe one of the Fall Out Series would be best. If so, which one? Otherwise, open to alternatatives given my shortcomings and end goals. I guess I should specify too, not a fan of RTS, so first person it must be.

Apologies for thread crap, only chasing a few posts pointing me in a direction. If it turns into more I'll ask a mod to split the thread.

16. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

Try Mass effect and Kotor. If you find the mechanics or RPG too overwhelming then try deciding what you want your character to do then focus on that and ignore all the other options. Fallout might be a bit much to begin with.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    Major Neb likes this.
  17. power

power Member

you probably want an ARPG so stuff like ME series, Witcher 3, maybe Dragon Age Inquisition.

But yeah start yourself off with an Action RPG.

18. Major Neb

Major Neb Member

Cheers, I completely forgot I have Mass Effect 2 - so looks like that will be the go for the holidays!

In reference to focusing on what I want my character to do - are you referring to game style? i.e. run and gun or stealth etc? Super Powers versus raw strength etc...?

19. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

Sometimes putting a tight focus on your character before you start can help you learn that aspect of the game without being overwhelmed by all the choices or learning all the abilities, stats and mechanics. It can cover anything from tank, dps, healing classes to good vs evil, what weapon you use, what clothes or armour you wear or what conversation options you choose.

20. asho444

asho444 Member

witcher 3 is a great and terrible place to start.
    great because its amazing
    bad because not much else measures up