The Outer Worlds - from Obsidian

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by boneburner, Dec 7, 2018.

1. chook

chook Member

Post reported. ;)

tunksy likes this.
  2. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

It's good, it's not that good.

3. Drizz06

Drizz06 Member

It’s the biggest most beautiful boring world I ever played!

shredder likes this.
  4. metalrain

metalrain Member

Well, honestly if you want to see what Obsidian is capable of, give Fallout: New Vegas a try. If you feel like you're going to be overwhelmed, just focus on the main quest line. You can always just meander and explore the world at random, but having the quest makers to tell where to go and what to do does help focus things down.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  5. power

power Member

we all start out with the best of intentions really (following the main story) that's how the bastards get us.

oh yeah, PHYSICAL RELEASE CONFIRMED. Look at them knowing what their audience wants.

https://www.gameinformer.com/2019/02/05/the-outer-worlds-coming-to-physical-media-sets-price

6. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

Some gameplay and combat discussion.

https://www.gameinformer.com/exclus...bat-gameplay-and-details-for-the-outer-worlds

I like the bit 2mins in where an enemy is shot in the leg then starts limping.

I'm still concerned about the graphics, particularly the terrible lighting. It's crazy how bad it looks compared to other games using the same engine.

Yes gameplay > graphics but I'd rather not be dry retching while I'm enjoying the gameplay.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  7. Drizz06

Drizz06 Member

Dry reaching?? Jesus the game looks fine to me!
    Obsidian just need to work on polishing the gameplay and quest etc I couldn’t care less about the graphics in this game.

Rubberband likes this.
  8. DarthWindu

DarthWindu Member

yes sir i will buy that.

9. power

power Member

i'd rather they showed it warts and all rather than all the bullshit E3 downgrades that happen.

10. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

Good point.

Are you kidding? It looks like no mans sky with worse lighting or a shitty early access alpha.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  11. Rubberband

Rubberband Member

It's not released, so why bother commenting on the graphics unless they are really tragic (hint: they're not really tragic unless you're going for troll).

12. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

The lighting is really tragic. The lighting is typically something that's done early on during the level design and building. There are other issues that are bad but nowhere near as bad as the amateurish lighting. The art design is fine, some of it's good. The levels look extremely linear and dated but without playing it I can't really comment. The assets and buildings range from utter trash to OK. If the lighting was up to scratch it would be borderline AAA quality. Without decent lighting all the mediocre things look like utter shit and the best parts (character models) only look OK.

I doubt they will improve the lighting from this point on but I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

13. power

power Member

Fallout New Vegas looked like shit too.

xcessive303 likes this.
  14. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

That is open to debate. I think it looked OK on release, some assets were shit and the animations were bad but i had no issues with the graphics at the time.

I'm not bagging the poor animations, or the horrendous pop in and LOD issues because I never expected mocap animation or excellent optimization, especially in an alpha trailer. Poor lighting, particularly this fucking terrible does an injustice to the art design, character design and world design.

outworlds1.JPG
    Nothing wrong with the environment. The assets all look decent, it looks like they've gone to a lot of effort to create the scene. So why ruin it with such shitty lighting? I'm not talking about soft shadows from every leaf, and god rays just something that isn't inept and adds depth to the scene.

15. MrBS

MrBS Member

Still looking great, looking forward to this one :D

Drizz06 likes this.
  16. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

Shooting looks really nice, the graphics look good enough for me (also nice that there's actual colour and not just brown like a lot of modern shooters).

Particularly like all the apparent customisation options.

17. Rubberband

Rubberband Member

I definitely get where you're coming from, but it's not worth stressing over at this point.

I reckon it'll come right; maybe they're looking at RTX or lighting is complex so they have very basic modelling in place?

18. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

Sorry didn't realise there was an accepted window for criticism.
    As I said earlier lighting is decided early on and done during level creation. Sometimes dictated by early concept art or particular storyboard scenes, sometimes dictated by a company that wants to show off their new SFX *cough* metro *cough*. The fact that it's a fairly recent announcement doesn't mean they're in early development and I doubt they'd be adding unknown overhead in terms of more complex lighting this late. They're also not known for graphics.

Worst case scenario is I'll have to run a mod or filter so in reality it's not a big deal but to me it seems like they don't care about their work when there is a glaring omission like that.

19. Rubberband

Rubberband Member

Only for you mate, your mum said you need help managing your triggers.

And thanks for the blinding insight game designer man, I've never been around game devs or followed a games development.

See I can do pointless sarcasm too.

I can see you're another waste of space on these forums.

20. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

Lol. Had a bad week?
    /Christian side hug

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019