1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

The perfect monitor - finally! LG 38GL950G

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by cbwolf, Jan 12, 2019.

1. terroristone

terroristone Member

but he has it now....

2. bobsled

bobsled Member

Solid discount. For me, I'll be seeking a supplier that doesn't require me wheel out consumer law if the product is garbage and requires a refund. Pretty important on a purchase this large.

3. raincloudx

raincloudx Member

Use a card like 28 degrees with price protection - covers up to $2000 price drop within the first year :thumbup:

4. shadow85

shadow85 Member

The only thing stopping me from getting this monitor is the fact that we are paying $3K for a monitor with only HDR400.

Not happening!

5. terroristone

terroristone Member

Good point

6. Plonkflopped

Plonkflopped Member

Agree. Would buy this in a heartbeat if it had HDR1000

thedirkdiggler likes this.
  7. Flashkick

Flashkick Member

I'm late to the party, is their a massive diffrent between HDR 400 / 1000?

8. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Pretty sure it's only $1k gov'na?

The # refers to peak brightness, so, well, 2.5x more peak brightness lol. I'm sure it'd be noticeable with HDR content.

9. raincloudx

raincloudx Member

Yes you are right sorry. Good to know haha I guess I’ve never claimed over 1k before

10. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I'm not a HDR expert, but my understanding is this

HDR 1000 is a huge difference in maximum brightness, but is also quite useless without enough dimming zones on the monitor to make dark scenes look dark, and bright scenes look bright.

Dimming zones alone cost a lot of money.

terroristone likes this.
  11. jpw007

jpw007 Member

I can honestly say that in my experience HDR is pretty shit on PC..

I'm not sure if it's windows10 inbuilt HDR support or what it is, but when i put a game on my 4K OLED then the darks are too dark and overall the picture is worse colour wise than on my 4K IPS or even 3440x1440 IPS. It just doesn't look right and overall colour is strange i.e. it's all too dark. Playing some games i couldn't see shit in dark areas. The whole point with OLED is darks are darker and HDR allows that massive contrast to be highlighted but Windows' implementation of it really fucks it up massively.

PS4 games looks good in HDR as does movies on the 4K OLED however, so at this stage i wouldn't be buying a HDR monitor with the intent to use HDR on PC. My 4K IPS is HDR400 apparently but i've turned HDR off and the colours as are are great at 95% DCI-3 or whatever it's called, so with that in mind i wouldn't let any monitor being HDR400 be a deterrent since imo you'll get a lesser experience in games with it on. (for other media, well, go for your life i suppose as i didnt try netflix or similar via PC on the OLED TV).

nope likes this.
  12. bobsled

bobsled Member

This unit has dropped by $120 on PCCG (Sale!).

What's interesting is that LG have already announced their CES 2020 lineup in a press release, and another 37.5" unit is coming which likely has Freesync/adaptive sync in place of GSync, but has HDR600 as well.

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/blog/s...-160hz-refresh-rate-and-likely-adaptive-sync/

If LG's launch of the 950G was anything to go by, give it another year before availability.

13. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Yet to find much good HDR implementation on Pc. Assassin's creed oddesy is good.

As for what is most noticeable in HDR the wide colour gamut is it followed by contrast then brightness.

It annoys me when people say a panel is not actually HDR cause it doesn't get super bright, squinting at 1000 nits is over rated.

I used to own a benq with VA panel (3000:1 contrast) and 95% DCI-P3 and it really popped in HDR especially on ps4 pro and it only had Max brightness of like 275nits. I will admit IPS panels without local dimming and their 1000:1 contrast ratio won't look as good as VA. There is a reason the only panels that compete with OLED TV's are all VA panels.

Here is the benq in action, go to 5 Min mark

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  14. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

Yeah this is making me hold off my 4K TV upgrade as I use a HTPC (and will have to continue to use one because my household's use-cases include a full PC browser because reasons). Just reading about all the gotchas with HDR and codecs and DTS audio and washed out SDR and whatever makes my head hurt and reminds me of trying to get Kodi / XBMC working properly in linux back in the late 2000s. Yuck

I'll give it another year then I'm throwing in the towel and buy the 4k UHD TV / shield combo lol

Cannot believe how badly windows has been fumbling general media for years, when you get a better media experience from a 200 dollar streaming box or console vs a 1000 dollar GPU

walker_2003 likes this.
  15. bobsled

bobsled Member

The colours look less washed out with HDR on but the roof supports for example is almost impossible to see in HDR, but saying that it's hard to demonstrate HDR on a SDR display, recorded via another camera as well.

16. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Added contrast and yeah camera filming display and showing in SDR.

I've seen it for myself though and looks nice!

17. OP
    OP
    cbwolf

cbwolf Member

Honestly looks like the 'HDR mode' simply turned the contrast and saturation way up to the point where you're losing a heap of details in the shadows - which is the exact opposite of what HDR is meant to do, allow blacks to be deep whilst not losing any detail. That's the whole point.

Looks like a complete fail to me. To make HDR actually worth it, you really need FALD and more like 500 - 600 nits of brightness on a monitor you're viewing much closer than a tv.

18. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Any recording of hdr in sdr makes it look either too bright or too dark.

Perfect example is PS4. I can record gameplay of Death Stranding with HDR on. While playing the game is perfect on my OLED and all distinguishable and great. Rewatch the video and it plays in sdr anf everything looks shit i.e. to black to see detail or excess bloom.

You can not replicate hdr on anything but hdr, and even then the media format needs the hdr info.

walker_2003 likes this.
  19. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

FALD isn't 100 percent crucial on a VA panel but is on IPS. The Samsung Q60R does HDR decent and no FALD. Brightness is nice but isn't what makes HDR wow people. It's the colour gamut. I've used that monitor in person and is no loss in HDR. Just usual black crush VA can have in some situations.

That isn't 'HDR mode' it's running actual HDR signal. It does have a HDR effect for SDR but it's meh.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  20. Phatboy

Phatboy Member

I have one of these LG 38" screens now as an upgrade from the Acer 38" 3840x1600 UW (XR382CQK).

It's a pretty big upgrade in so many ways.
    Gsync actually works (as opposed to Freesync range 48>75 on the Acer that was never stable on Nvidia)
    HDR colours are way way better (ive done the test side by side)
    HDR is way better than the fake HDR in the old Acer though not in the league of HDR600+ monitors it does a decent job.
    The real reason for HDR on this display is the colour Gamut is just so much richer being 95%+ DCI-P3 - The colour looks almost as good as on my Sony OLED now. It's a really big leap in colour.
    Being realistic, at night in full dark room HDR400 is way more than you need, its damn near painful!

Combined with the blazing fast refresh rate. Sooooo much better, no more blur.
    SDR content is also more punchy.

Down side??? hmm you know it... Contrast suffers in HDR mode dark scenes, though the dynamic backlight helps a little with this when it tracks the image properly.
    In SDR mode where you can set your own minimum brightness to set a trade off for brightness vs blacklevel, the blacklevel is comparable to the old Acer 38" if not slightly better.
    Having another older Acer 4K CB280HK TN panel next to it permanently as 2nd monitor, the blacks on the Acer TN compared to the LG IPS are not that much better. (admittedly not the best comparison for quality contrast on TN but just to illustrate the point)

I have an X-Rite i1 ColorChecker Filmmaker Kit (the new Pro plus sensor does HDR calibration) on it's way to me so I'll do some full calibration comparisons.

So far after 3 days with the monitor I love it and dont regret the huge price tag. (even after $200 off) It does everything I was hoping the original 38" IPS panels from a couple years ago would do!
    It even switches in and out of HDR mode automatically with most things I've thrown at it.
    It's not the best at everything, but it's the best performing monitor across nearly almost all areas with it's only true weakness being contrast. As a gaming/productivity monitor, I can live with that!

I've watched several HDR 4K movies on it now too and it does a better job than I was expecting.
    I'm using Emby Server/ Emby Theatre player which does it's own HDR tonemapping in MPV with another piece of software called SVP 4 to get interpolation to 60hz with low enough settings to add just enough frames to remove panning judder (really bad judder on fast reponse monitors like this because there's no natural motion blur) I cant go higher than 60 without dropping frames. (RTX 2080Ti + 4960X @ 4.4Ghz) (CPU limitation)

The lower SVP 4 settings dont go as far as creating soap opera 60hz and the artifacts are pretty minimal. It's a great solution for those wanting interpolation on PC for 4K movies with HDR tonemapping, highly recommended.
    Before using this combo I could never watch a movie on my PC because of the low frame rate motion judder in panning shots and general jittery looking film. It's not as good as Sony's OLED hardware motion interpolation but it's pretty damn good when configured properly and I love it!

I'll post some further thoughts once I've spent more time with the monitor and after calibration. In the mean time, absolutely no regrets.

PS. It also supports simultaneous HDR and G-Sync which none of the other reviewers mentioned including over both HDMI 2.0 and DP 1.4.

Last edited: May 3, 2020
    walker_2003 likes this.