The Photography Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Admiral, Jul 4, 2002.

1. Admiral

Admiral Member

This thread is for everyone interested in any form of Photography, please post your experiences and photos! I know there are quite a few keen photographers here...

After talking with Ragnarok on ICQ about his brand spankin new camera, he suggested starting a Photography thread. I didn't think this was such a bad idea, so here it is.

I'm probably quite a newbie when it comes to Photography, and to this day i've still never really used Film very often. I remember using a point and shoot film camera many years ago on holidays with my family, but that's about the extent of my film camera experience. Although I actually had a play with a Minolta SLR a month ago, and I felt horrible knowing that I was paying for every single photo taken.

A few years ago, when Digital technology became more affordable, and more commonplace, the idea of buying a digital camera became more and more appealing to me. So in January 2001 I went into Harvey Norman (argh!) and bought a Kodac DC5000:

[​IMG]

This little 2MP beast served me very well! Not only was it an excellent camera for a total newbie, it was made to be resistant to water, dust, and accidental drops onto concrete. I shot about 3500 photos with it over a year.

But after a year, I felt that I had done everything that could be done with it, and I needed to upgrade to something more advanced. So I spent several months doing LOTS of reading online, before settling on an Olympus E20:

[​IMG]

Although I will be paying this beast off for a year or so yet, it has allowed me to experiment far more than the DC5000. The quality is great, and for the price, it can't be bettered. I've already taken over 2000 photos with this over a period of 5 months, and I carry it pretty much everywhere.

I prefer to take photos of Architecture and Nature scenes, but I really enjoy taking candid photos of people when we go out to parties and gatherings. I would love a career as a Photographer for a newspaper or something similar, but I wouldn't even know where to start.

Idealy I can see the E20 lasting me another year at the very least. Although i'm sure by then there will be plenty of new cameras that can outdo it, it doesn't make it any worse than it is. Perhaps after a year or so when i've saved enough money I will upgrade to a "real" Digital SLR with interchangeable lenses, but at this stage I can't see it happening.

Anyway, if you like, click the link in my sig to have a look at some of my favourite photos. If I eventually get around to looking through some old backup CDs, I will add a lot more images to the page. Here's one of my favourites from my (very boring) website:

[​IMG]

2. snoopie

snoopie Member

3. CharlesInCharge

CharlesInCharge New Member

Is there a way of obtaining a lomo effect using a filter on an ordinary camera?

4. littlee

littlee Member

pity I don't have a better scanner (and a better camera - 35mm POS)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (poor lighting hey :) )

I might fork out for a camera one day..

5. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Going to move this to Other Toys.. where it probably belongs, and where it's more likely to stay on topic.

6. Whitey Ford

Whitey Ford Sings the blues

An image I took as part of my photography course at uni. Experimented in different developing techniques to get an unnatural depth of field. I should really start scanning all my work.. ive gots hundereds of black and white images ive shot.

[​IMG]

Mike

7. OP
    OP
    Admiral

Admiral Member

Fair enough, it's your Forum.

The only reason I posted it in the Pub was to get a wide range of comments, opinions and experiences. And the thread isn't about Cameras, but rather Photography.

8. funkychild

funkychild Member

Here are a few I've just recently gotten around to scanning from a trip to Japan and Korea I took in February. I've since learnt that hi-res scanning and colour correcting 185 photos takes a bloody long time :(

EDIT: Hmm, just looking at these now, these are all portrait. I do take landscape as well :p

Taken with a 35mm manual SLR .

[​IMG]
    My friend Naoko, Gifu, Japan

[​IMG]
    View from Gifu Castle, Gifu, Japan

[​IMG]
    Kinkakuji Temple, Kyoto, Japan

[​IMG]
    Changdukgong Palace, Seoul, Korea

[​IMG]
    Ski Slope, Pheonix Park Ski Fields, Korea

Last edited: Jul 4, 2002
  9. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

Edit.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2003
  10. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

Edit.

11. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

Edit.

12. OP
    OP
    Admiral

Admiral Member

I love water shots with a long exposure, the water almost looks like silk! Nice work!

13. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

Edit.

14. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

Ugh! Forgot again. Those cave shots were taken with a 28mm wide angle.

15. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

Yeah, I have a real thing for water shots and long exposure times. Took a bit of experimenting to see what looked good.

I find that fast flowing water and a good 2 seconds can get some beautiful effects. I love it when it looks like fabric - silk, as you say. :)

16. Whitey Ford

This time these are photos taken with my digital camera from a recent trip to finland:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this one is how I took the photo, it has not been retouched or changed in anyway... and its really spooked me out when i first saw it... kinda like vampire country:

[​IMG]

Mike

17. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

Mate, that's a lovely digicam you have there! What is it?
    Excellent shots too. I love the composition of the last one.

Does anyone else here use the Renaissance 'Rule Of Thirds' when composing their shots? It's all I ever use. :)

18. Whitey Ford

Canon Digital IXUS IV:

[​IMG]

mmm sexy...

Mike

19. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

Stagger me, that's a great camera, given that it's a non-pro model. :eek:

What else can you say about it? :)

20. OP
    OP
    Admiral

Admiral Member

Just cranked this out of Photoshop. Was a failed shot of some columns in Martin Place. Sure, it looks odd... but I like odd. =0P

[​IMG]