The Photography Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Admiral, Jul 4, 2002.

1. Blakey

Blakey Member

Do you mean the soft-focus, vignetted image, or the multiple pictures on one frame image?

www.lomography.com

I take it you mean this camera:

[​IMG]

It's quite a cult camera, similar to the holga (which a few famous fashion photographers have used) only difference is that the Lomo makers poke fun at themselves.

"And IT'S GOT Professor Radionov's ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE LENS: for razor-sharp images, highly light sensitive, 32mm wide-angle. This beady little eye sees everything and makes colours radiate"

Pshaw, sif. Still, they're a lot of fun. My equivalent is an Olympus XA2 (I still haven't found an XA rangefinder at a reasonable price) even smaller, better lens, shutter not quite as long, but no vignetting (good/bad). A minox 35mm is an even better equivalent.

If you want to replicate the effect, just get a lens shade designed for a longer focal length lens, so that the edges of the frame are shaded slightly. To check this, have the camera back open, put the shutter on 'B' and look through with the aperture at the widest (closing down the aperture will lessen the effect.). If it's really extreme the effect will be noticeable in the viewfinder (only on SLR's of course). Alternatively, get a crap quality lens with severe light falloff towards the edges, and then smear some vaseline on the front element for the soft focus look.

Funkychild: I know what you mean, I scanned for a couple of weeks straight last year, just on B&W stuff, at least there's no colour correction there.

I really need to get around to scanning more of my work, I've got a lever arch binder packed full of colour negs which I still need to scan.

Fortigun: Long exposures are a favourite of mine too, have you done any astrophotography? Last I did was in the middle of winter out at Rosewood (no ambient light pollution) getting some star trails, but I forgot my damn cable release, so I had to hold the shutter with my finger, and gave up after 15minutes as I was freezing.

And then there's the nights I've spent wandering around sydney and brisbane (goodwill games time, looked fantastic) late at night photographing people/buildings etc.

Blakey

2. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

Hey Blakey:

>
    Long exposures are a favourite of mine too, have you done any astrophotography? Last I did was in the middle of winter out at Rosewood (no ambient light pollution) getting some star trails, but I forgot my damn cable release, so I had to hold the shutter with my finger, and gave up after 15minutes as I was freezing.
    >

Nah, never tried astrophotography. My experience lies in landscape, architecture, and portraits. I've seen some great astrophotography, but something tells me it's not for me.

Not my style, and not my skill set. But I'd love to see some of yours. :)

3. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

Edit.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2003
  4. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

Edit.

5. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

Edit.

6. littlee

littlee Member

Anyone got any informative links about photography for a newbie? :)

7. protecon

protecon Member

If you're looking to get into digital photography, you can't go past Phil Askeys site Digital Photography Review. The forums there are populated by many experienced photographers.
    Another great site is Steves Digicams.

I started out in digicams back in 98 with a 1MP Kodak DC210Plus which ended up being stolen last year, So I upgraded to a Sony DSCF-707.
    At 5MP, I'm more than happy with the DA's picture res (2560x1920).

8. Blakey

Blakey Member

www.photo.net

All you need to know. Read some of the tutorials, there's a wealth of into there.

alternatively, rec.photo.equipment.35mm (if you can get past the trolls and flamers) and aus.photo aren't bad.

Blakey

9. Widowmaker

Widowmaker Member

off topic .

Blakey do you have a magna by any chance ?

10. littlee

littlee Member

Thanks for the links :D

11. Blakey

Blakey Member

OT: No, but you do don't you?

If you peruse the motoring forum, you will find that I have a beastly 1.6l carby AE82 corolla.

Why do you ask?

Back on topic:
    Fortigun: re astrophotography, I'm not at the level where I have tracking mounts so you don't get the star trails, but do get wicked constellation photos. I just like looong exposures, I'm aiming for a shot where I leave the shutter open for about 6-8 hours during a full moon, and end up with a photo that looks like it was taken in daylight, just without any shadows anywhere. Alternatively, with slow film (ASA6-12 or so, technical pan anyone?) and a tiny aperture and dense ND filter, have a camera set up during the day in a very busy place for hours, so moving objects don't register, neither do the shadows. It's all hit and miss though, as reciprocity failure makes all calculations null and void.

Blakey.

12. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

Ah well, hit and miss is the way to learn. :)

Do you have any good constellation shots? I'd love to see some taken with a camera. Six to eight hour exposure time eh? Not exactly happy snapping, is it? ;)

13. Blakey

Blakey Member

Naah, like I said, my astro stuff is star trails. So I don't have any decent constellations. I've seen some brilliant ones taken with the aid of a tracking mount and a telescope with a T-mount, and the best ones are taken with three plates, RGB. There was one I saw a while ago where two plates were taken 20yrs ago, and the final one last year. Looked fantastic.

If you want as little star movement as possible, use a wide lens. Aperture has no effect on the star brightness, as the stars are a point source, it only controls the amount of sky fog that you get, so 10 min at ƒ2.8 would give you a blue/purple sky, but at ƒ22 you'd have a pretty black sky.

Blakey
    (who should stop talking and start linking images)
    Ahh, hold on, what's left on my student webspace...damn, nothing but IR construction photos. And this, a spreadsheet for those that do manual exposure calculations with extension tubes (my other SLR didn't have a TTL meter.)

14. Widowmaker

Widowmaker Member

Just wondering because i found this. But then i just saw its a WA plate and your in Queensland ... well im an idiot :rolleyes:

well the photo doesnt work. just the licence plate was BLAKIE

;)

15. BROTHER

BROTHER Member

Here are some happy snaps I have taken. I usually just try to find material I can use in digital art, mainly textures and shapes. These shots worked out pretty funky.

[​IMG]
    opposite colour scheme

[​IMG]
    Reflection on a small lake at sunset, nice gradient.

[​IMG]
    A powerpoint thingy on a marina, took one with long exposure and this one with short.

[​IMG]
    This was taken on the fly, didn't worry about exposure time or anything. It wasn't really that dark, but this pic seems to say otherwise.

I am still an amatuer, I was using my brothers Canon EOS500 SLR 28-80 stock lens until I bought myself an EOS300 with 28-80 stock lens. Start my photography course next year, should be good.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2003
  16. nbk

nbk Member

I'll join in with a few:

[​IMG]
    Point Arkwright - Coolum
    [​IMG]
    Buderim Falls
    [​IMG]
    Someplace in Brisbane
    [​IMG]
    Crossing Story Bridge - Brisbane.
    [​IMG]
    Brisbane City Hall
    [​IMG]
    Clouds hanging about out the back of Yandina somewhere
    [​IMG]
    Gotta have at least one Macro shot...
    [​IMG]
    USC Library (non filtered - simply the colour temp of the lights).
    [​IMG]
    Crossing at Montville

17. Widowmaker

Widowmaker Member

I really like the clouds ;)

18. Prosper

Prosper Member

Few of my fav's. Most were taken with an ancient Minolta SL-II SLR 35 MM camera on 200 ISO film with a 45 mm lens.
    The Rainbow one was taken with a cheap disposable camera, and looks real bad full size.
    [​IMG]
    Moose Lake, Saskatchewan

[​IMG]
    http://bdroy.servepics.com/Other/glacier.jpg
    Columbia icefields, Alberta, this is actually a glacier that those ppl are staiding on.

[​IMG]
    An old trappers cabin, circa 1880

[​IMG]
    Some elk in Banff Natnl Park, alberta, Canada

[​IMG]
    The Athabasca River, near Jasper Natnl park in Canada

[​IMG]
    Town of Banff, Alberta, Canada

[​IMG]
    Another shot of the town, didn't really come out well.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2002
  19. -=ButFli=-

-=ButFli=- Member

These were taken a few metres from where I'm sitting now.

[​IMG]
    Medium Large

This is what I like to call "teh rabit":
    [​IMG]
    Large

20. Widowmaker

Widowmaker Member

Prosper did you use a lens shade in all those photos ? It might be just me but it seems there is light fall off in the corner of every photo .