The Photography Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Admiral, Jul 4, 2002.

1. High-Fidelity

High-Fidelity Member

Here's a photo I took on Tuesday.

Stuff done to it includes the B&W background, and it's been "curved" in Photoshop.

[​IMG]
    click on it for a larger image :)

I'm pretty happy with it, I think the curve adjustments made a huge difference to the shot. The original can be found at http://high-fidelity.org/images/2003_10_21/103_0356.jpg

This is the first time I've even bothered adjusting anything in one of my photo's. And I'm such a photoshop noob, so be gentle :)

Edit: I'm curious, are there any particular things I should be doing to enhance photo's in general? Like any photoshop filters that I should be looking at to give better results? Does anyone have any magic steps that they do to pretty much every photo that they take?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2003
  2. f@rmboy

f@rmboy Terrorist Photographer

As a rule, I dont like to do much more than levels and sharpness adjustments to my pics. I figure that the further you get from the original, it becomes less a photo and more digital art.

Having said that, every rule is there to be broken :)

Besides, like yourself, I don't have the imaging editing skills.

3. High-Fidelity

High-Fidelity Member

Haha... is it that obvious? :)

4. tuppaware

tuppaware Member

I don't think changing your photos in photoshop makes it any less a photograph..

I normaly don't do anything moe that what a person could do in a dark room..Contrast/Brightness/Colour balance/Layers .. Burning in/ Dodging are all photoshop items taken from photography dark rooms in the real world anyway. The only difference is the level at which you can do to the photo.

When you use photoshop to compensate for lack of skill rather then learning it yourself, thats a problem.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2003
  5. tuppaware

tuppaware Member

Street Art - With a extream dose of Unsharp Mask Sharping causing the colours to stand out... No other editting.

[​IMG]

6. OP
    OP
    Admiral

Admiral Member

A couple of triptychs from some back streets yesterday afternoon. There is some pretty cool old architecture around the older Rocks area of Sydney.

Click for much larger versions if you like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm still kind of in a creative rut, and that Alleys one isn't quite how I want it yet, but it's better than nothing I guess.

7. Widowmaker

Widowmaker Member

So are you saving your cookies for a Olympus E1 then Admiral ?

8. OP
    OP
    Admiral

Admiral Member

Heh, no way.

As much as I loved my old E-20, i've invested too much in the Canon system now to change. Besides, i'm not convinced it's going to be a success and the lenses cost way more than they should.

9. Ashpool

Ashpool Member

Just some photo's I took....mmm Not sure if I have posted these before? Oh Well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2003
  10. f@rmboy

Love the pics Adsy...

The first three disturb me somewhat though. The wide angle lens gives a way distorted perspective which normally wouldn't bother me except for the front walls starting half way up the picture.

11. Widowmaker

Widowmaker Member

But there Zuiko so perhaps we can expect Zuiko quality glass ? well maybe since they stopped making the Om3 and Om4 i dont know what to think.

Im not sure about the 4/3rds system , is it the end are they going to spend money making len's for standard 35mm lens system is there going to be a Nikon F6 ? so many Questions.

Im not sure if even Admiral is great enough to own a Tilt and Shift lens perhaps his just as mortal as you or me
    :D

12. YYK

YYK Zipper Boy

is that bee added?

13. f@rmboy

True.... As I said, the perspective doesn't bother me. I just think it would have been better either pulled back a little to include the whole mouth of the alley or better still, step into the alley and lose the front walls alltogether.

I guess it's just personal preference

14. OP
    OP
    Admiral

Admiral Member

I think that's part of the reason why i'm still not happy with those particular ones. The distort tool in Photoshop does a pretty good job at negating the converging verticles, but it gets a bit soft around the areas most strongly distorted.

Nice bee shot Ashpool!

15. dakonis

dakonis Member

Here's one I took a few weeks ago when I was mucking around learning a bit more about the camera (a40) and exposure settings. I've always liked the effect putting the background in black and white makes, so I thought I might give it a try. I'm not too happy with the composition - the thing on the wall, speakers and sticker on the beadhead shouldn't be there, the tissue box looks a bit weird to me, and the pillows are arranged pretty poorly. The lighting is a bit uneven too. I was going to retake this shot another day, but my girlfriend took her teddy home before I got a chance. I think it would've been a nice shot if I got those things right, but I do like the effect.

[​IMG]
    Click to view full-sized image!

Hosted by UGBox Image Store

16. tuppaware

tuppaware Member

I like your first one admiral, I too think I'm running out of steam. Although I don't have a car to travel where I wamt to take the photos.

I went out today for 2 1/2 hours and still came back with nothing exciting, although it was overcast all day.

17. legs

legs Member

swan

swan - fugi finepix 2800 digi, croped, upped contrast just a little.

[​IMG]

18. tuppaware

tuppaware Member

All you guys that have the option to shot in another colour profile on your digital cameras other then ICC RGB standard ..

Do you, or do you prefer thet standard RGB profile?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2003
  19. DrDevil

DrDevil Member

20. Simboo

Simboo Member

excellent 3rd and 4th landscapes there DrDevil :)