The post pics of yer 2 channel audio setup thread

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by Arcadia, Oct 8, 2007.

1. underskore

underskore Member

if we find the right timber buried and pull it off cleanly then they'll stay natural, if we need to sprinkle a bit of glitter on it to pretty them up - his business partner (and my good friend) is a polisher/painter

screw into my nice new speakers :tired: maybe, but I see good reason to do something.

2. GTR27

GTR27 Member

I'll post pics when they arrive, but I've ordered a set of Adelaide speakers 2103GQTL timberwolves.

This completes my 2ch setup.

Adelaide speakers 2103GQTL mains
    Marantz NR1508 AVR (pre outs to)
    Wyred 4 sound class D ST-1000 power amp (~500w/channel 8ohm)
    I have a lsk c6 center and krix lyrix for rears (centre and rears driven from avr)

But obviously only will use the timberwolves for 2ch.

I wanted a setup that did not require a sub. The mains are supposed to get to ~23hz with less than 3db drop off, so should easily see out 90+% of music. 4x10" drivers (2 per speaker) should push a decent amount of air, especially when fed from a beefy power amp.

stiben likes this.
  3. GTR27

GTR27 Member

Speakers have arrived!

Click to view full size!

For reference, that's a 55" TV so they are pretty bloody big! (300w x 400 deep, around 1250 high - weigh about 42kg each)

Marantz HT amp - running pre-outs to a Wyred 4 sound 2 channel Class D power amp (~500w/channel @8ohm)

Speakers have a great, balanced sound and are supposed to be within -3db down to about 23hz. Have given them a light run so far, and can confirm they can reach very low compared to the Lyrix or Magnats I had previously.

Once they are run in, i'll do a better review, but the room they are in is horrible for sound. Double brick walls, 2 x sliding glass doors and gloss tiles (lots of hard, reflective surfaces). Going to get a rug for the lounge area to soften the response a little.

Missus has said we need a bigger TV to make them look smaller - so when 75-80" OLED come down a bit in price, i'll upgrade.

Pretty happy with the setup now - seemingly endless power which is great. They can go louder without distortion than I can handle being in the room so that's a bonus.

4. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Nice speakers :thumbup:
    Rear ported ? You could try moving them out off the wall a bit more.

5. GTR27

GTR27 Member

Transmission line, so technically open at the rear. When listening I move them out a bit more to help move the sweet spot to the sitting position

6. treblid

treblid Member

She's a keeper.. :thumbup:

NerfDude, nico6 and GTR27 like this.
  7. olie

olie Member

In probably the worst room in the house (Tiles, glass sliding doors + windows to one side and rear) lives my "modest" system.

It is getting kind of old now:
    [​IMG]
    Input: Cambridge Audio CXN in Pre-amp mode.
    Drive: Cambridge Audio azur 851W Amplifier.
    Speakers: VAF X63.
    Interconnect:
    Belden 1696A (balanced between pre-amp and Amplifier)
    Belden 1694F (Coax for SPIDF+RCA)
    Belden 70048 (4mm2 speaker cable)

It goes hard...
    Old pre-sticker peeling photo:
    [​IMG]

treblid and MUTMAN like this.
  8. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Nothing wrong with CA gear :thumbup:

9. -Antiskeptic-

-Antiskeptic- Member

My setup, Cyrus ONE, Rega RP1, ELAC Debut B6

[​IMG]

elvis and treblid like this.
  10. Hi-end Head

Hi-end Head Member

Been a long time Cyrus fan, How do you find the new 'Cyrus One" model, David

11. -Antiskeptic-

-Antiskeptic- Member

I love it. It's my first Cyrus product and I'm really impressed.

Here was my wish list -

1 - Phono In with int PreAmp
    2 - In built Bluetooth
    3 - RCA In for SACD player down the track
    4 - Headphone out with good dedicated in built amp
    5 - Obviously reviews well and has plenty of power for speaker upgrades down the track.

The only thing I could find to hit the above was the PS Audio Sprout and the NAD D 3020.

They both had their downsides so decided to look again and found the Cyrus. Ticked all the boxes so went and demoed it, loved it, rest is history. The ELAC's sound great but I'm really impressed with the Headphone out and it performance, I'm using my headphones so much more now. Very happy =]

12. Hi-end Head

Hi-end Head Member

Is there provision for an external power supply [ PSX-R ] With the early Cyrus One and also the Two, there was provision for external power supplies [ PSX ] This boosted the output from 50 watts to 70 watts per channel. The only problem was You have to go into the internals of the amp and remove two fuses. With the later models this was done away with. And you simply retained the two power supply leads.

13. -Antiskeptic-

-Antiskeptic- Member

I don't believe so, but not sure this is really the target market for the One.

[​IMG]

14. Hi-end Head

Hi-end Head Member

Yep, There's no multi pined socket.
    I have some conserns about the new importer of Cyrus, Before they got the agency Crestmore, in Sydney was the imported, They had a very, very good tech, who would spend time on the phone discussing any problems, you might have.He did an upgrade of my CD player, also some work on a cyrus 2. This new importer just considers Cyrus as just another import and doesn't seem to care about service. I hope I'm wrong.

15. Hi-end Head

Hi-end Head Member

This is some of my Cyrus collection, I also have a couple of the earlier model Cyrus 2's
    System consists of
    Cyrus top load CD player DAD 7 with external Power supply PSX-R
    Cyrus Pre=amp ACA 7 also with a PSX-R
    A pair of Cyrus Mono X monoblock 300 watts each

I did try a Cyrus Dac, but found very little difference between the CD player output and that of the Dac
    System is fully balanced with XLR connections which suits the fact the monoblocks are located next to the speakers

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Speakers...
    Cabinets are all custom made using selected hardwoods, all machined and constructed by myself and a friend, who had the know-how and machinery to do the job. No expense was spared in the cost of the drivers. Theres simply no point in spending considerable time and effort in construction of the cabinets to then use cheap Chinese drivers. Speakers are all top of the range "Scan Speak" Tweeters, Ring Radiator R2904-700000, mid-range. Revelator 15M4531K00. Base Revelator 18W8531G00. Crossover, Mundorf recommended by Scan Speak Weight is around 75 kilo's each

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    -Antiskeptic- likes this.
  16. -Antiskeptic-

-Antiskeptic- Member

Very nice setup. Great to see some of the "older" Cyrus gear still in use. They certainly seem to be quite reliable.

Re importers and after sales support, got mine through Rio Sound & Vision in Victoria who certainly have a good name.

17. Hi-end Head

Hi-end Head Member

Thanks for that. I've just looked at the current Cyrus line-up Not very impressed They no longer carry a independent only DAC It would seem if you have to go the pre-amp / DAC road Which is disappointing. The earlier models have some advantages over the new line up. My Pre / power system has fully balanced connections which is a big advantage when there placement is wide apart.

On the subject of older models I also have a couple of the original Cyrus 2 models, Both where upgraded at Crestmore, and are as good now as they where when produced, some 20 odd years ago,
    That model came in two versions one with a metal front plate and the other with a plastic front plate, which is a real pain and tends to crack over time.
    I also have one of there original PSX power supplies, which are hard to find. And are not interchangeable with the current models.

-Antiskeptic- likes this.
  18. Skitz0

Skitz0 Member

19. Clem

Clem Member

Finally got around to taking a picture.
    Not quite the sound I'm after just yet but getting there.

Attached Files:

Eclipsor likes this.
  20. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

you need a little more breathing room Clem
    I can see a door handle, I'm guessing space isn't a luxury you can have in the current space