The 'Raspberry Pi' thread

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by HyRax1, May 8, 2011.

1. birdie

birdie Member

I also have a spare RPi B v1... im not sure what to use it for yet.

I have a RPi 3 that i use with OctoPrint for monitoring and controlling my 3D Printer...

2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Yup:
    http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=1150924

80's games and 8 bit titles are no problems with a first gen Pi, single core.

90's games and 16bit titles prefer a newer multi-core Pi2 or Pi3 (not so much the multi-core itself, but those Pis were a newer architecture, had hardware floating point, better performance per clock cycle, and could run a little faster without problems).

3. DarkStyle

DarkStyle Member

Just wondering where the best place to buy a raspberry Pi 3 (in terms of price or supporting the local community)...

4. Foliage

Foliage Member

Can just play with the emulators on your PC to start with if you want?

5. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Raspberry Pi (across all models) has officially beaten the Commodore 64 (across all variants) to become the third best selling personal computer platform of all time:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/raspberry-pi-sales/

Apple Mac and "IBM Compatible" x86 PC of course come in #2 and #1 respectively.

Not to shabby for the young Pi. Give it a while and I'm sure they'll top the entire Commodore/Amiga family.

6. [MadHatteR]

[MadHatteR] Member

I picked up a Pi3 Kit a few weeks ago from Logicware to build a media player from. I had some questions before purchasing which they replied incredibly quickly and helpfully. They're based in WA, happy to help an Oz business, even though it's a few bucks more than some of the other international sellers.

Worth noting that some of their kits include heatsinks and fans installed, which save trouble of sourcing your own if you are planning to run intensive tasks.

7. DarkStyle

DarkStyle Member

Could you make any recommendations for which kit might be best suited for this purpose?

I know it says Pi2 and the kits you've linked are Pi3 but ideally, I'd like to buy a kit with enough upfront expense/grunt to last me awhile :)

8. [MadHatteR]

[MadHatteR] Member

Personally, I would just opt for the Pi 3 for a few reasons - It has onboard wifi/BT, is significantly faster than the Pi 2, supports 64-bit instructions and isn't that much more expensive that I've seen. Somebody feel free to correct me as I'm going off memory. Plus, if you ended up keeping the unit for a while, having the extra capability there to use it for other projects in the future without having to worry about performance is nice.

I was reading a benchmark comparison of different boards the other day (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=march-2017-arm), the Pi 3 falls around the middle or so, but I think for a beginner like me, the huge community and abundance of addons makes it worthwhile.

As for the task you've linked, I'm unfamiliar with nodes, but this thread and this comment in particular might be worth reading - https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/co..._its_pointless_to_run_a_full_node_on/czkuinh/

9. DarkStyle

DarkStyle Member

Thanks for the advice. Its more economical and environmentally friendly to have a Pi or two running than a full desktop machine. I'll plan a purchase accordingly :)

10. nogi

nogi Member

Anyone built a multi IP camera viewer with their Pi? I'm not wanting NVR functions, just want a way to do realtime viewing of my cameras on TV.

11. OP
    OP
    HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

A simple web page with multiple iframes to each feed's URL will do the trick. Format it with some CSS to suit your requirements.

Code:
    <html>
    <body>
    <iframe src="http://URL/TO/YOUR/IP/STREAM"></iframe>
    </body>

12. Foliage

Foliage Member

Just make sure you don't put it on a public IP with hard coded admin:admin credentials.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2017
  13. nogi

nogi Member

I hadn't thought of that. Might give it a shot. I had found this application a few weeks back but it looks to be unsupported at the moment.

@Foliage, this is only being viewed internally on a TV so nothing is being exposed outside of 192.168.x.x. That and UPNP is off and ports are blocked at my router.

14. NuZo

NuZo Member

Hey mate,

Lookup MotioneyeOS for the RPI. I run it at home to stream 3 cameras setup at my house. Works fine just make sure the pi has a bit of ventilation cause it gets warm.

You can also install motioneye manually onto raspbian if that's more your thing.

Cheers,

Nuzo

15. 3five1

3five1 Member

HI

Anyone know the hdd limitations on these, looking to get one and attach an external drive and stream movies to my T.V?

thanks

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  16. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

It's linux, so whatever the limitation of linux is (lots)

17. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Going to try and talk my schopl into buying some of these. Haha

18. Lostnewb

Lostnewb Member

I'm looking at using a Pi3 B as an sftp box to download from a seedbox to an external usb drive. I'm not as familiar with linux software options, whereas I AM familiar with winscp.

I can buy Exagear desktop for Raspbian, which then can run WINE which then can run winscp, but I'm curious as to whether there is a native linux app that is not strictly command line. I don't mind getting into it slowly, but for the moment I'm on a timer to get about 800GB off my seedbox at 3Mb/s so I'd rather it just worked for 4 weeks.

tl;dr : is there an alternative to filezilla / winscp that I can run on Raspbian's GUI without resorting to Exagear desktop and WINE?

19. Snoops

Snoops Member

Filezilla has a native linux build...

apt-get install filezilla

:)

Edit:
    That said if the remote end is linux - you should look into using rsync to grab files.. You could have it automatically run and sync the remote and local dirs every x hours.

20. Lostnewb

Lostnewb Member

Ooh cool, I'll try that then. Cheers :)