The 'Raspberry Pi' thread

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by HyRax1, May 8, 2011.

1. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

As people may know if they have seen my latest build thread, I'm creating an all in one PC. Part of it consists of a pair of LM1875T amps, to run my onboard speakers, which will be the first electronic thing I have ever really built from scratch. Still waiting on my amps, I expect them to arrive this week sometime. That will be a new learning experience for me, but it looks easy enough. Looking forward to it !!

A quick look at the front of the rig will show you a rectangular bit of wasted space I want to fill with something.

[​IMG]

I'm considering using this space for an LCD touchscreen display. Currently 246W, 138H, 136D, but these dimensions could be altered within reason if I went for a slightly larger (10") LCD.

It appears the cheapest way to go would be to simply buy a yumcha Android tablet, but I'm not sure this will really suit my desires. I want the thing to display a large clock, and a couple of temp displays by default, at boot. Although I'm sure I can attach a couple of temp sensors to a Pi, I'm not so sure about doing the same to an Android, and also not so sure I can make them default to my desired layout of single large clock and 2 smaller temp displays.

Of course, I would hopefully use the Pi for other purposes too.. I'm thinking alternative media player at the moment, since although it will draw power from an 'always on' USB port on my main rig, it might mean I can use it as a music player, using the same amps, without booting the PC. I would plan on leaving the Pi permanently on, so it won't be booting very often, but if I did disconnect it, it would be way cool if it just booted straight into Time/Temps without any BS. I presume I'd have to add a battery backup too... all things I think a Pi could do but a cheap Android tablet may not be configurable enough.

I have no idea about Raspbian or other suitable OS, can I get a preconfigured SD card or do I need to actually learn a bit to use one of these things? Are any OCAU people willing to help me out with questions if I go this route? Can I buy cheapish external temp sensors (with cables) that just plug in, a quick google is inconclusive? I realise I'd have to configure those, again, I would ask for help in doing so.

I've been thinking a setup like the video below might be a go, I'd certainly have the room to attach the Pi to the back of the screen and have plenty of room to spare, and access, to provide power and any additional stuff to it.

Thanks in advance for any ideas or assistance !!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
  2. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

on the hardware side - temp sensor's are dead easy, they are three wires and a resistor. for a silly accurate input the dallas temp sensor ds18b2 is 0.05C if you want ..

i run a hifiberry dac+ 'HAT DAC" on a pi with the 7" LCD. So its a bit fat at the back, but it pumps out fantastic sound quality via SPDIF to my amp (stock pi analog out is a little rubbish for quality) with a touch screen for local control. pi runs a little distro called pCP, but it wont be anygood for what you're after.
    plenty of distro's that will do what you want. burning an SD card for the pi is trivial, but you can buy a 'NOOBS' card for a small price that comes pre-loaded with a few distros

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    darknebula and Ratzz like this.
  3. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Nice :) I've noticed on many of the sites I've been checking out that 'hats' can be worth more than the Pi itself. I did see one hat with 'temp sensors' but I gathered by the description that they were onboard, and it was a lot more than a cost of the Pi itself. That hat had many more sensors than just temp though.

I'm not sure that I need the DAC, unless its relatively cheap, since I'm just using a couple of LM1875T amps and a pair of 4" speakers, but of course if its not insanely expensive, its an option.

That's one hell of a stack. I note that yours is open air.. how would it go for cooling in my enclosed space? Would I need to stick a fan in the back of the enclosure?

Where would I get a custom distro made that suits an exact set of options (which I haven't selected yet :lol: ) put together, would it cost a mint, or alternatively how difficult is it for a noob to customise a 'NOOBS' card such as the one you suggested to suit my purposes? Just a few lines of code, or a shitload of expertise?

4. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

pi3 runs warmish when pushed hard. but thats not a problem really. I had a pi3 in a small case with just a old ram heatsink on the core and ran it at 100% no worries.
    realistically you could just run the 'rasberian' OS that is the main raspberry pi OS (its a linux debian desktop called 'pixel') and its just like a regular desktop OS in operation.
    add a music player, no worries
    run a python script to display temps, no worries
    have the the two side by side, no idea sorry. but i imagine you wont be the first to want to do it.

have a look through the old 'magpie' mags for different projects that are documented and will have loads of support in the pi forums
    https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/

5. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

forgot to mention, but probably too late now by the looks of it, there are HATs with amps included.
    IQaudio and hifiberry both have a decent version

6. pantner

pantner Member

Recently found out about Pi-Hole

https://pi-hole.net/

Basically, you set it up to handle your DNS requests and you can setup block lists for certain domains.

I have it running in a VM as it will run on normal Linux too, but also works very well on a Raspberry Pi. I have 3 workmates using it

7. darknebula

darknebula Member

You can also run Home Assistant on the PI and Pi-Hole runs as a docker add-on alongside it