The 'Raspberry Pi' thread

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by HyRax1, May 8, 2011.

1. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

2. rockofclay

rockofclay Member

I went with a 4gb Rock64 for the media centre. I haven't set it up yet but it should go great guns. The Raspberry worked but was too laggy. Plus the Rock64 has 1xUSB3 and 2xUSB2, where as the Raspberry pi only has 1 USB otg (in terms of bandwidth, it uses a hub for 4 ports)

3. pantner

pantner Member

I still use a Pi as my HTPC.
    It does everything I want it to do, although, all I do is play content (mostly 720p, some 1080p) across the network.

I use the OSMC image.
    It includes Kodi set up and ready to use, you just dump the image on the SD Card and boot it. It also supports booting from USB if that's something you want to do.

The issue I am referring to is the POE Hat not working correctly. Seems to have problems with USB power draw. I just bought one without knowing.

4. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

The RPi works up to 1080p H.264. If you're getting lag, it means you're probably watching H.265 media, or you need to update whatever software you're using.

If you want fall-off-a-log easy, I recommend LibreElec:
    https://libreelec.tv/

It'll connect to any standard SMB or NFS NAS. An RPi3 over WiFi is plenty fast enough even for 1080p H.264 content - certainly no need for faster connectivity than that.

But again, if you're using mostly H.265 content, the RPi has no hardware support for that. Some other devices like the OrangePi, ODroid, etc do in their higher models, but software support can sometimes be less straight forward.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    GumbyNoTalent and 3five1 like this.
  5. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

I used LibreElec, video playback was (mostly) fine. The "lag" was noticeable when navigating around the interface. scrolling through lists of media was particularly painful.

6. elvis

I'm still running an RPi2 with a very vanilla LibreElec setup and LOTS of media, zero problems with lag.

How are you navigating? I notice my remote control via HDMI-CEC isn't the speediest (even on my name brand Sony Bravia TV). Although interestingly enough it's still faster than Netflix on my FetchTV box, so go figure.

But if I use the "Kore" app (a glorified telnet to Kodi's in built listener on TCP8080 wrapper), navigation is lightning fast. Ditto for the built in web portal that does the same thing.

https://kodi.wiki/view/Kore
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.xbmc.kore

Navigating deep trees of media, navigating within media itself (dragging the position bar to jump ahead or behind), etc is all super speedy via that. Says to me that CEC is the lag factor, and not the RPi itself?

[edit] More here for all phones:
    https://kodi.wiki/view/Smartphone/tablet_remotes

GumbyNoTalent likes this.
  7. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

+1 LibreElec except I use OpenELec on a N2820 NUC and use a old tablet as a remote, is good for all media up to and including 1080p as long as it is H.264 (as elvis mentioned above).

I'm now looking at something a bit more powerful to drive 2160p H.265 as the N2820 integrated graphics lags out, and seriously considering a Pine / Rock64, would be interested in the results you got rockofclay.

8. 3five1

3five1 Member

That's the issue I'm having with my T.V which I just released, I do make an effort to d/l 720p but when in a hurry ...well, you know :(

I have a 4 year old 40" Kogan television with usb and hdmi support but the ports and/or firmware are (no interest connectors to update) old ...so, I get a new T.V /w net support or get a media device ...looking for the cheapish way out, thoughts?

thanks guys

9. pantner

pantner Member

I don't really understand your post.

Are you saying you currently have trouble with 1080p media? or your current solution only plays up to 1080p?

I have no problem playing 1080p content on my Pi, however, anything higher (H.265/2160p) and you will have problems as they are not made to play it.

10. 3five1

3five1 Member

Sorry for the confusion, I can't play above 720p but I would also like to purchase/build a cheap media solution for doing so and prefer the abilty of playing most formats?

11. elvis

If you want a device that plays media directly:
    * RPi if you know you'll be playing a maximum of H.264/1080p (the codec matters as much as the resolution)
    * ODroid, OrangePi, and others if you want H.254/HEVC/4K (again, the codec matters there - an RPi won't play H.265/HEVC at 1080p either)

If you want to stream from something else, get a ChromeCast.

I use both for different reasons. ChromeCast is excellent for support streaming services - Netflix, Stan, Spotify, Twitch, YouTube, etc. But Kodi is much better for media you have sitting on a network-attached-disk somewhere.

My brand new Sony Bravia runs a full Android stack, and so it runs Kodi natively with H.265 support courtesy of whatever processor is inside the TV, and also offers full ChromeCast functionality. That's freed up one of my RPis for me to do something else with. At this stage, likely some sort of emulation project - considering turning a little kiddies driving toy into a mini driving cabinet like this guy did:

12. 3five1

3five1 Member

Cool, am much clearer now, will most likely go with both as that is what I aim to do ...may get a better/faster t.v later to support it all?

Thank you, all!

13. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Navigation is done using a Media Center clone remote and USB IR receiver.

I like the tactile feedback of actual remotes. I've got Yatse and Unified Remote on my Phone, but don't tend to have that near me when I'm watching TV, and wasn't a fan of using them for every-day navigation.

14. elvis

That's fine, but from a pure troubleshooting point of view, what's the response time between something like Kore and your physical remote? Worth testing at least to see if it's the Pi or the type of controller that's at fault.

I gave up on USB remotes some time ago, because I found them universally terrible. Hand on heart, I only bought cheap and nasty ones. So that could entirely be my fault.

15. elvis

Not necessary if you're sticking to external devices. They all just send a HDMI picture to your telly, which is all very basic, standard stuff for any TV with matching input to decode.

16. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

I'd have to check next time I'm playing with one, I went down the NUC route for my HTPC and it hasn't missed a beat. the Pi's were re-purposed as a Kids Internet/Scratch Machine, and as a Home Assistant box

17. 3five1

3five1 Member

O.k, great!

18. pantner

pantner Member

Also, an update re: POE HAT

So, new Pi, SD Card and the HAT. loaded my OS of choice (OSMC) and booted.

It appeared to work, but I had what I think was a kernel panic when trying to play a video file. After the Pi Rebooted this file played ok.
    Went to bed, when I woke up the Pi had just frozen. Could not do anything. Rebooted, froze again within 30 seconds.

Plugged in the USB Power (after moving it to a non POE switch) and it's worked flawlessly since.

19. grrrr

grrrr Member

HTPC:

So I use my TV to play netflix (up to 4k) and a raspberry pi 3 to play stuff off the NAS. I use libre elec as well. It works great.

For the other TV, a 'dumb' 48" 1080p, I purchased a mecool m8s pro l, and modded it with a much bigger heat sink. It works great except I have to dual boot it to play Netflix or youtube. I have it boot into coreelec (same as librelec) then reboot to the original mecool rom.

Be-careful with alot of the other TV boxes, Netflix stopped working on a heap of them in August. Some have been patched to work again.

Heaps of information here: Wrxtasy updates the first couple of posts every month or 2.
    https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916

20. rockofclay

rockofclay Member

I am using the latest Hassbian with the latest Kodi. I did try Raspbian, but had the same problems. No problems with playback, just slow menus, using USB keyboard/mouse. The limited USB throughput is an issue as well, as I want to use it as a NAS eventually.

Yeah, I will post when I get around to it. I'll give some emulators a shot too.