The 'Raspberry Pi' thread

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by HyRax1, May 8, 2011.

1. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

frnak it's your decision, but read up first.
    the issue exists only for 'e marked' cables
    you got any ? got a different cable ? you know, like a $2 one from ebay

like i've said, way overblown
    if you do have some uber charger that you "must" use on the pi4, grab a cheap shit cable and the problem ceases to exist.
    I've got QC2 and QC3 chargers and the 'problem' hasn't popped up.
    I've run the pi4 on a samsung tablet charger that is 5V 1.8A no worries.
    The only power issue I've had is trying to run it on 5 meters on low quality usb extension cable, it still worked, it was showing the low volts sign is all

on a different note, i will try the new usb firmware later today and see what that does for temps

elvis likes this.
  2. s4mmy

s4mmy Member

I got myself a pi4 4gb. Runs like a dream.
    Currently powering it with the PoE hat... seems to not be having any power issues. But haven’t really pushed it.

MUTMAN likes this.
  3. underskore

underskore Member

to any of you using your pi as a htpc - do you have HDMI-CEC issues?

With my Hisense 50K3300, my Yamaha RX-X602 receiver and my pi (3b+) I'm having some issues that are driving me crazy!

I'd previously kept the pi away from the tv and chromecast'd everything to it - but in the quest for a better solution I thought I'd plug it in, run kodi and be living it up.
    How wrong I was...
    Well, not at first - because at first it worked fine - when I plugged the running pi into the the already on tv - everything (HDMI-CEC) just worked as it should - but then when I turned the tv (and pi and amp) off at the wall and then back on - HDMI-CEC stopped working so my tv wouldn't even power up my amplifier and then the remote wouldn't work properly with the tv and it seemed like the tv was lagging really badly.

At first I thought it may've been due to the tv and pi turning on at the same time, so I left the pi on and just turned the tv off and then back on - same issues.

My next step is to try running the pi through the Yamaha but when I initially tried it didn't work properly/at-all but I've since seen the CEC setting relating to what device the PI is connected to within Kodi so I'm hoping that changing that will be the silver bullet I need... wish me luck

edit: seems to be working - hopefully it stays that way, no idea why it din't work when I tired it first.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  4. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2019
  5. clonex

clonex Member

got a rpi 2 model b, easiest way to use it to track/log outside temperature?

6. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

a waterproof dallas ds1820b for the sensor. super easy to log to SD card
    https://www.google.com/search?&q=dallas+ds18b20+raspberry+pi

edit - i think i found one on ebay with a 3 meter lead for 5 or 6 bucks delivered
    it you want to spend less and humidity as well as temp the DHT22 are also super easy to use

clonex likes this.
  7. na1lbomb

na1lbomb Member

I got a Pi 4 in a stock case is up and running as a photo frame, though I am not thrilled that it sits at 70 degrees temp when idling. Compared to my Pi 3+ running Pi-hole which sits at under 50 degrees.

Due to the high temps I thought its power consumption might be significantly more, however the internet says 'At idle, the Pi 4 B draws 3.4 watts, which is just 17 percent more than the 3 B+' so I guess not.

Might look into a nice sized passive heat sink, as I dont want to put a small fan on it (power, noise).

Nails

8. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

9. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

The Pi4 is a bit overkill for a photo frame yeah? Why not use an earlier model for that? Pi Zero maybe?

10. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

maybe he's running 2x 4k screens as the photo frame ? :D
    but yer, a zero W would be ideal

11. na1lbomb

na1lbomb Member

Well, it was a week before the new financial year when the Pi 4 came out, and I took it as a sign from god that I needed something new and shiny to play with. Never know, it may replace our chrome cast at some stage in the future, or have some other kind of HTPC use.

I will keep an eye on this thread to see what other cool projects people are doing!

Nails

MUTMAN likes this.
  12. millsy

millsy Member

Gotta pull my finger out and order the 4gb pi 4, have docker intentions for my unifi stuff + some remote access / other projects.

13. s4mmy

s4mmy Member

Whatever you do get a case that has decent cooling and\or a fan.
    The standard Pi4 case isn't that great for cooling and it definitely runs warmer than the Pi3.

14. MonoJoker

MonoJoker Member

I guess here is a good enough place to ask - experiences with Pi-Hole since Google started to get "smarter" with their YouTube ads? I find it pretty much blocks nothing as the traffic is coming from the domain of the advertiser themselves. Eg Rebel sport ad at beginning of video doesn't come from *.googleadservices.com but from rebelsport.com.au. Makes it nigh on impossible to block these I assume.

Disappointing as my main reason for setting up Pi-Hole was to block YT ads on devices that can't run Ublock and the like - Smart TV, Telstra TV, etc.

Overall though an amazing app and the admin GUI and statistics are very cool.

15. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

MonoJoker likes this.
  16. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

Am I reading this right?
    Youtube doesn't work ?

I am complete noob with this and only bought my first pi 2 weeks ago.

I went in and bought a power supply for it at Jaycar and the guy mention he was doing house wide advert blocking. Would love to do this, anyone have good places where I could get up to speed?

17. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

The whole quote is...
    This is a regex for using PiHole to block Google in its totality, the single regex should only block youtube ads but it google try to circumvent the block with additional scripting requiring the domains being accessed then youtube will break, but it hasn't happened yet. Also PiHole is a local DNS replacement, it is an application not Pi hardware.

https://pi-hole.net/
    Check it out, even if only for the imagery of the front page of the website. ;)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    MUTMAN likes this.
  18. MonoJoker

MonoJoker Member

Thanks GumbyNoTalent I loaded the regex in but not sure how successful it's been so far. On the Smart TV (yet to change the DNS on the TTV) it loads YT vids fine until (I assume) it gets presented with an ad, and then it either stays (hangs) on the Loading... screen and doesn't progress or throws an error.

It's certainly doing SOMETHING though so I'll see if I can fine tune the list or google how to fix the Loading... freezing issue.

Cheers for the info!

19. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

I've only implemented the Facebook list so far, I don't have ads on YT because I brought premium so no ads for me.

Facebook removal has rendered some Newscorp sites unloadable due to some tag system, I assume google tag management might do the same.

20. MonoJoker

MonoJoker Member

Yeah given it's comprehensive block list I assume it's going to make some apps unhappy LOL. But I'll keep playing, it's a good base to start from, block everything then tweak it to suit.