The 'Raspberry Pi' thread

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by HyRax1, May 8, 2011.

1. scorpia

scorpia Member

hi,

this may not be the easiest way but if you want to learn some stuff then check out the following link.

https://projects.raspberrypi.org/en/projects/build-your-own-weather-station

good place to start with logging temp etc.

I recommend the BME280 sensor if you can get one that isnt the bmp280 version (doesnt have humidity)

2. frnak

frnak Member

Anyone using the RPI4 as a nas? What sort of speeds are you seeing from ntfs drives?

3. Evilhomer

Evilhomer Member

Yeah running 2 x HDDs in raid 1.

Capture.PNG

4. frnak

frnak Member

Ah neat. So 11MBs write and 70MBs read on NTFS? Not bad. Should be enough for HD media streaming.

5. Hater

Hater Member

has anyone worked with video walls? or... well, remote screens?

so currently I have a pi B+ with a HiFi Berry DAC+ running Max2Play which also hosts a Kodi session. pretty much videos are streamed off my NAS, the video is displayed via HDMI on a TV and the audio goes out the DAC and into my amp, to play the music.

that's cool and all, but a single TV displaying the music video is a bit lame

I have a projector and am looking to source another 4 TV's or so and hang them around the living room, what I want to do is to hit the go button on the harmony remote and all the TV's turn on, amp turns on (well, that's a manual step but whatever) and the music video plays on all of the screens with the audio coming out of the amp.

my main Pi is wired to the router which is upstairs, about 3 of the screens will also be wired but 2 will need to be WiFi.

so it's currently 80% of the way there, i have it working fine on one screen

how would I mirror the video output from my main Pi onto the other 5 screens? depending how easy this is I might stick various other screens in the entrance, toilet etc

6. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

You're looking for an HDMI splitter AKA HDMI distribution amplifier. Something like this: https://www.cablechick.com.au/cable...i-splitter-hdmi-v13b-with-3d-support-cec.html

There's no cheap way of doing this, you really do need active circuitry to drive the multiple HDMI outputs.

7. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

PiCorePlayer on LMS syncs music only, but i wonder if any of the distros will do sync'd video playback ?
    It would mean a pi at each tv ....

8. millsy

millsy Member

*taps fingers waiting on the pi 4 shipment date*

elvis likes this.
  9. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

10. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Pi wins again. Great toy

11. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

VLC can do this (via network connected machines). You need:

* Master / Source computer playing the media. If the device is grunty enough, it can be one of the slaves. Or it can be a laptop somewhere else.
    * Slave device with video connection to a screen. RPi4 does 2x HDMI, so you could have 2x RPi4s doing 4 screens, for example.

Set the source in master mode, run the slaves with the video wall splitter and configure each slave to know where it's position is in the grid.

You can test this running multiple windowed copies of VLC on a single grunty computer, if you want to try it out prior to buying lots of hardware.

End result (this example goes further, uses 6x 4:3 monitors to do a 2x scale 16:9 from the source):

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    grrrr, Quadbox and MUTMAN like this.
  12. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

I had one of the original Pi's (Model B) back in 2012 but never really used it for anything so ended up giving it away from a friends kid who was keen to play and do some things.

Fast forward a couple of years and I've been eyeing one-off for a while again and finally pulled the trigger on a 2GB RPi 4 which arrived this week. I got the starter kit with PSU, cables, micro SD card and also grabbed the official case (more on that later), needless to say, it's been an interesting ride so far.

The Raspberry Pi was bought to migrate some VM's off my NAS and onto some dedicated hardware: PiHole, Unifi Controller and GW2PVO (solar data uploader for PVOutput).

Out of the box, I attached the included heat sinks and dropped it into its case. I then downloaded the latest Raspbian image and wrote that to the SD card and booted it up nicely.

Attempt #1: I started installing PiHole but kept running into random network connectivity issues (over WiFi) which I couldn't work out so I reimaged the SD card and tried again.

Attempt #2: The second time around I was still getting the same issues with network so grabbed an ethernet cable but this time around it kept telling me the network cable was unplugged intermittently. Very odd.

About this time I noticed that the Pi was reporting temps in the high 70°C and hitting 80°C, at idle. That's no good at all.

At about this point I also realised that some of my issues were self-inflicted thanks to a firewall rule block DNS from anything other than my own PiHole VM (for internal children restriction reasons) I have since fixed that to allow the new device access.

Attempt #3: The next day I pulled the lid from the case and started again. This time around temps seemed to stabilise in the mid 50°C and the install process went smoothly, although I still don't understand why the Ethernet was dropping in and out the other day, but it's not happened since. Was it heat related? Software? Hardware fault? Something to keep an eye on anyway.

To combat the heat issues I've grabbed a small fan and soldered it up to a plug and installed it all in a new case. I probably could have modified the official case but for $9.95 a new case from JayCar when I picked up the fan and pin headers which has all the mounting holes for the fan pre-cut and seemed like a cheap and easy solution. It should be noted they only have one for a Model 3 so while the USB and ethernet ports are located in the same place, I did have to cut out the IO side to make it fit around the power, HDMI and 3.5mm jack, but my Dremel made quick work of this. I've also got better access to the GPIO for expansion if I want to add things later.

The little fan is surprisingly loud but does appear to move a decent amount of air. Temps are now down to 32.6°C with all three applications humming along nicely. It lives in my server rack in the garage so noise isn't an issue (that and the other fans in the rack are louder :p )

https://www.jaycar.com.au/5vdc-30mm-thin-2-wire-fan/p/YX2500
    https://www.jaycar.com.au/clear-acrylic-enclosure-for-raspberry-pi-with-gpio-access/p/XC9004

Things still to work out:
    How to enable GUI access via RDP/VNC when running headless. While most of the time CLI is just fine, it is sometimes very handy to just remote into a GUI to do a thing.
    Consider log2ram or similar to reduce wear on the memory card.
    GW2PVO seems not to be running via it's cron job, have to look into that.

13. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

Have you applied the firmware update "for the USB3 host adapter that should save about 300mW and help the Pi4 to run cooler"? https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=243500&p=1490467&hilit=vl805#p1490467

From my prior reading it only saved a few degrees but probably worth doing anyway.

There's also the flirc aluminum heatsink case - https://flirc.tv/more/raspberry-pi-4-case or in black Kodi edition https://flirc.tv/more/kodi-edition-raspberry-pi-4-case

14. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

Every little bit counts I suppose, especially on something running 24/7. I don't actually have anything USB plugged in at all, although that might change.

For reference I was on VL805 FW version: 00013701
    Now on VL805 FW version: 000137a8

In other news, I think I have fixed the gw2pvo issue, although still no clue why it wasn't/isn't running through the cron job. This time around I've set it up as a service so it's running all the time loading live data to PVOutput and seems to be working nicely.

log2ram is still a question, although from what I've read it's either a prolific problem or it never happens. All of the things I'm running on the Pi are actually relatively log heavy as they keep a record of all the things... In reality, I think this will just be a "watch this space" sort of approach while also taking an image of the SD card every now and again to make restoration easier should anything ever go wrong.

How to enable GUI access via RDP/VNC when running headless? For the moment the solution is to plug it into a screen in server, while it's not powered on, it's enough that the GUI loads and allows VNC connections. I know there is a better way (it's also noted that I've almost exclusively used SSH anyway while fiddling today anyway). For now I think I'll call it beer o'clock and worry about that little bit later.

Thanks for those links, the Jaycar case is very functional after it's minor modifications. For my application it has no need to be pretty or silent. As it is I realised after putting it together that there is a protective film on the perspex that I didn't remove... maybe next time I have it out for maintenance I might look at fixing that :p

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  15. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

If you configure a Pi to boot to GUI, and enable the VNC service, you should be able to connect even without a monitor, although IIRC it will be running at the Composite output resolution if there's no HDMI connected. I believe you can (ab)use the Force HDMI / HDMI resolution settings to get a sensible resolution out of it.

That said, I've never used VNC with my Pi's, SSH with X Forwarding has always been a better solution.

16. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

I was all lined up to do that firmware update a month ago but I was scared off by the slow down reports.
    Was this ever confirmed/rectified ?

17. millsy

millsy Member

*tapping continues*

18. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

4gig version ?
    should of got the 1 or 2 gig :p

19. millsy

millsy Member

haha yeah 4gig, expected the wait so all good! It was originally estimated to ship some time around now

20. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

i watched a interview (recent) with eben saying they knew demand for the 4 gig would be high, but the 1 and 2 still needed to be available in bulk ...
    limited production + high demand = "taps fingers waiting"