The 'Raspberry Pi' thread

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by HyRax1, May 8, 2011.

1. scorpia

scorpia Member

hi,

this may not be the easiest way but if you want to learn some stuff then check out the following link.

https://projects.raspberrypi.org/en/projects/build-your-own-weather-station

good place to start with logging temp etc.

I recommend the BME280 sensor if you can get one that isnt the bmp280 version (doesnt have humidity)

2. frnak

frnak Member

Anyone using the RPI4 as a nas? What sort of speeds are you seeing from ntfs drives?

3. Evilhomer

Evilhomer Member

Yeah running 2 x HDDs in raid 1.

Capture.PNG

4. frnak

frnak Member

Ah neat. So 11MBs write and 70MBs read on NTFS? Not bad. Should be enough for HD media streaming.

5. Hater

Hater Member

has anyone worked with video walls? or... well, remote screens?

so currently I have a pi B+ with a HiFi Berry DAC+ running Max2Play which also hosts a Kodi session. pretty much videos are streamed off my NAS, the video is displayed via HDMI on a TV and the audio goes out the DAC and into my amp, to play the music.

that's cool and all, but a single TV displaying the music video is a bit lame

I have a projector and am looking to source another 4 TV's or so and hang them around the living room, what I want to do is to hit the go button on the harmony remote and all the TV's turn on, amp turns on (well, that's a manual step but whatever) and the music video plays on all of the screens with the audio coming out of the amp.

my main Pi is wired to the router which is upstairs, about 3 of the screens will also be wired but 2 will need to be WiFi.

so it's currently 80% of the way there, i have it working fine on one screen

how would I mirror the video output from my main Pi onto the other 5 screens? depending how easy this is I might stick various other screens in the entrance, toilet etc

6. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

You're looking for an HDMI splitter AKA HDMI distribution amplifier. Something like this: https://www.cablechick.com.au/cable...i-splitter-hdmi-v13b-with-3d-support-cec.html

There's no cheap way of doing this, you really do need active circuitry to drive the multiple HDMI outputs.

7. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

PiCorePlayer on LMS syncs music only, but i wonder if any of the distros will do sync'd video playback ?
    It would mean a pi at each tv ....

8. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

*taps fingers waiting on the pi 4 shipment date*

elvis likes this.
  9. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

10. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Pi wins again. Great toy

11. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

VLC can do this (via network connected machines). You need:

* Master / Source computer playing the media. If the device is grunty enough, it can be one of the slaves. Or it can be a laptop somewhere else.
    * Slave device with video connection to a screen. RPi4 does 2x HDMI, so you could have 2x RPi4s doing 4 screens, for example.

Set the source in master mode, run the slaves with the video wall splitter and configure each slave to know where it's position is in the grid.

You can test this running multiple windowed copies of VLC on a single grunty computer, if you want to try it out prior to buying lots of hardware.

End result (this example goes further, uses 6x 4:3 monitors to do a 2x scale 16:9 from the source):

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019 at 8:08 AM
    grrrr, Quadbox and MUTMAN like this.