The 'Raspberry Pi' thread

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by HyRax1, May 8, 2011.

1. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

What you planning for it millsy ?

2. millsy

millsy Member

Small aspirations for now, hoping to run docker to run a unifi controller, guacamole server and whatever else grabs my fancy really :) Replace pi zero's floating around.

MUTMAN likes this.
  3. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

I've not heard of it before but guacamole server sounds interesting.

4. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

No-one in AU has stock.

Feels like the RPi foundation didn't expect the 1GB models to be so popular, and messed up the manufacturing numbers on the first run.

Hard one to judge, I guess. Do you bet on more people wanting a cheap desktop replacement? Or more people wanting embedded devices? Given the RPi foundation is primarily aimed at education, I kind of understand why the 4GB one was the priority (i.e.: a good desktop for an education lab).

I'm holding out for a 1GB to upgrade my Kodi-driven media centre (h.265 here I come!). Happy to wait, as stable software for that world is still catching up anyway.

5. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

Yeah though it looks like there's some largish etnaviv driver updates for it in the pipeline possibly for 5.4, so hopefully it'll mature toward the end of the year a bit

elvis likes this.
  6. millsy

millsy Member

Yeah!

I also want to do some jiggery fuckery with 802.1x at home for self learning so maybe a radius server too. Really just a whole bunch of random novelty projects that don't require a full fat system. Also encourages me to tweak stuff a bit (e.g. got the uni controller running pretty find on the pi zero w, despite the fact it's really not meant to work on such a system).

MUTMAN likes this.
  7. grrrr

grrrr Member

guacamole server looks cool but also kinda scary from a security point of view.

8. elvis

Meh. You should see the things people can do with good old SSH.

If you're wondering, check out the -D, -L and -R flags for fun. Combine with some fun helper tools, and it's party time.

9. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

one of the old heads at work still telnets in, for maintenance and comms patching, to some of the really old EDMI Mk3 meters in our fleet

[​IMG]

most of our gear has gone UDP though so the days of this are numbered

10. RnR

RnR Member

Heh... telnet... I remember when I telnet'ed into the smtp server and handcrafted an email from root to a mate at the uni... he thought I was a shifty hacking dude from then on :(

MUTMAN likes this.
  11. elvis

SSH isn't just a "secure telnet replacement". It's a highly portable, lightweight VPN. You can send all sorts of traffic over it, copy files over it, forward ports over it, etc.

Scarier, you can wrap SSH in any helper proxy you want. Wrap it in a HTTP or DNS proxy tunnel, for example, and you can bypass most enterprise firewalls. Use the -R flag, and you can set up a reverse tunnel so the remote end has full access back into the secure network.

SSH is a veritable Swiss army knife of tools. And almost every "secure" business I've worked for has had their rather paltry Internet security systems bested by this tiny, free tool.

GumbyNoTalent and MUTMAN like this.
  12. Symon

Symon Castigat ridendo mores

I was watching an interview with some of the Raspi team (can't remember where, so can't link it sorry) and they mentioned the opposite - they expected that the 1GB version would be the most popular due to the lower cost, and that for the majority of applications the extra RAM wasn't needed. Especially for commercial/embedded customers that would be ordering 1000's of units at a time.

They only expected the 4GB versions to be in demand for the hobbyist/enthusiasts, so didn't expect to sell as many of those.

I'm guessing the big players have bulk ordered and suppliers are struggling, much the same as what happened with the pi zero for a while.

elvis likes this.
  13. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

is that the one where the lady from MagPi interviews Eben, James (hardware) and Gordon (software) from the foundation ??

it runs just under an hour but worth watching
    if it's this one then yep its a good watch, lots of explanations on the decisions made :thumbup:

Symon and elvis like this.
  14. Symon

Symon Castigat ridendo mores

Yep, that's the one! And it is a good watch.

Thanks.

15. millsy

millsy Member

I actually had my guacamole server only accessible via SSH, and a bit of SSH -L to expose it on a web server.

Was looking at then integrating that box with 2FA auth, either MS or google to limit it further. SSH D/L/R are surprisingly little spoken about outside of those who know.
    As with anything, layered approach. Just don't hard code creds into the file and you're off to a better start :)

GumbyNoTalent likes this.
  16. elvis

Yeah, and I don't get why. Everyone goes bananas for VPNs and sets up all these heavyweight alternatives. Meanwhile SSH -D and tick the "use remote DNS" option in your browser, and you've got yourself a nice light-weight way to browse things safely (and/or bypass work proxies - I'm stunned/scared at how trivial it is to bypass many "secure" environments around the place).

I think of all the tools I use day to day, SSH is by far the most versatile. In sheer bytes, I use it more for network manipulation and wrapping up tools like rsync than I do CLI access.

GumbyNoTalent likes this.
  17. millsy

millsy Member

Yeah asbolutely, the lack of information people have no traversing networks blows my mind.

18. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

woot delivery tomorrow Fri 20th Sept... 2x Pi 4 4G