The 'Raspberry Pi' thread

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by HyRax1, May 8, 2011.

1. millsy

millsy Member

Iirc the newest versions of raspbian install a different version of java and you need to install an earlier one.

Anyway googling for java / raspbian issues should help there.

2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

3. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

Not sure on Mongo, Unifi was updated to latest, I ended up having issues which I since found out was the SD card filling up - was only an 8GB. I since moved to docker on Synology as it's always on and to have one less device. I still have it so will fire up and have a look.

In the guide I linked to it mentions that...

4. millsy

millsy Member

Ah cool, didn't read the guide sorry, was just stopping by!

5. CQGLHyperion

CQGLHyperion Member

6. CQGLHyperion

CQGLHyperion Member

Starting Ubiquiti UniFi Controller: unifierror: unexpectedly disconnected from boot status daemon

So got a little furthur....

Now this:
    root@Hyper-Pi:/home/pi# systemctl status unifi.service –full
    ● unifi.service - unifi
    Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/unifi.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
    Active: active (running) since Tue 2019-10-08 21:05:51 AEST; 14s ago
    Process: 5146 ExecStop=/usr/lib/unifi/bin/unifi.init stop (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
    Process: 5175 ExecStart=/usr/lib/unifi/bin/unifi.init start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
    Main PID: 5201 (jsvc)
    Tasks: 12 (limit: 4915)
    CGroup: /system.slice/unifi.service
    ├─5201 unifi -cwd /usr/lib/unifi -home /usr/lib/jvm/jdk-8-oracle-arm32-vfp-hflt/jre/ -cp /usr/share/java/commons-daemon.jar:/usr/lib/unifi/lib/ace.jar -pidfile /var/run/unifi.pid -procname unifi -outfile SYSLOG -errfile SYSLOG
    ├─5202 unifi -cwd /usr/lib/unifi -home /usr/lib/jvm/jdk-8-oracle-arm32-vfp-hflt/jre/ -cp /usr/share/java/commons-daemon.jar:/usr/lib/unifi/lib/ace.jar -pidfile /var/run/unifi.pid -procname unifi -outfile SYSLOG -errfile SYSLOG
    └─5203 unifi -cwd /usr/lib/unifi -home /usr/lib/jvm/jdk-8-oracle-arm32-vfp-hflt/jre/ -cp /usr/share/java/commons-daemon.jar:/usr/lib/unifi/lib/ace.jar -pidfile /var/run/unifi.pid -procname unifi -outfile SYSLOG -errfile SYSLOG

Oct 08 21:04:46 Hyper-Pi systemd[1]: Starting unifi...
    Oct 08 21:05:51 Hyper-Pi unifi.init[5175]: Starting Ubiquiti UniFi Controller: unifi failed!
    Oct 08 21:05:51 Hyper-Pi systemd[1]: Started unifi.
    Unit \xe2\x80\x93full.service could not be found.

and the unifi log:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  7. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Check /usr/lib/unifi/logs/ for /usr/lib/unifi/logs/hs_err_{PID}.log where {PID} is a 4 digit number, look for the datetime stamp for the correct one, in the contents should be more info as to why.

Even though systemd believes it is writing to SYSLOG.

8. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

God that shits me. There shouldnt be any circumstances at all for a program to be routinely writing transitory data to anywhere under /usr/lib

elvis likes this.
  9. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Totally agree, but according to the post by CQGLHyperion its all there in the command execution statement, the fact it is a Java based solution says it all, they probably have a team of Windows devs writing for Linux.

10. elvis

Remember when /usr was mounted read only on big UNIX boxes for security reasons? Good times.

GumbyNoTalent and Quadbox like this.
  11. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

Not to drag a rant across sub forums, but remind me, why was it we all had to drop support for seperate /usr partitions in linux again? Lennart? Is that you?

GumbyNoTalent and elvis like this.
  12. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

* Raspberry Pi3B+ {devpath} values may vary on other Pi's *
    So in todays episode of fun with flags, we look at what happens when you have 4 sensors all using the same FTDI.
    run for USB0-3
    Code:
    udevadm info --name=/dev/ttyUSB0 --attribute-walk
    All 4 USB ports report.
    Code:
    ATTRS{idProduct}=="6001"
    ATTRS{idVendor}=="0403"
    ATTRS{manufacturer}=="FTDI"
    ATTRS{product}=="FT232R USB UART"

This wouldn't be an issue is all 4 sensors reported the same thing but alas why have 4 of the same sensors, when you can have 4 different sensors all with a different payload.

Don't worry Jimmy, we have a solution.

We can write a udev rule that maps the {devpath} because the Raspberry Pi has 4 unique values each equating to a single physical port on the Pi.
    Code:
    /etc/udev/rules.d/99-usb-serial.rules
    SUBSYSTEM=="tty", ATTRS{devpath}=="1.2", SYMLINK+="FTDI-0"
    SUBSYSTEM=="tty", ATTRS{devpath}=="1.1.3", SYMLINK+="FTDI-1"
    SUBSYSTEM=="tty", ATTRS{devpath}=="1.3", SYMLINK+="FTDI-2"
    SUBSYSTEM=="tty", ATTRS{devpath}=="1.1.2", SYMLINK+="FTDI-3"

Now when I do a SOFT reboot my devices don't get mixed up! YAY!
    Code:
    ls -l /dev/FTDI*
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 Oct 23 01:32 /dev/FDTI-0 -> ttyUSB0
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 Oct 23 01:32 /dev/FDTI-1 -> ttyUSB2
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 Oct 23 01:32 /dev/FDTI-2 -> ttyUSB1
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 Oct 23 01:32 /dev/FDTI-3 -> ttyUSB3

NB Only do this if the USB FTDI will always be plugged in, otherwise add the {idVendor} and {idProduct} so it does it only for that specific USB device, I'm working on a fixed product so these devices will never change.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    MUTMAN likes this.
  13. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

Following a tutorial off YT here for the installation of openhabian

Install fails here
    2019-10-20_14:15:24_AEST [openHABian] Installing Java Zulu 32-Bit OpenJDK...
    gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file
    tar: Child returned status 1
    tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
    FAILED
    2019-10-20_14:15:28_AEST [openHABian] Initial setup exiting with an error!

Lots of people experiencing similar here

But none of the "fixes" are anywhere near comprehendable to me

14. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

Has anyone used a Samsung T5 with a Raspberry Pi 4GB?

My Pi boots and runs fine, if I connect a 2.5" spinning disk it detects, pops up on the Raspbian desktop and works, but the T5 connects but doesn't appear on the desktop.
    Booting with the spinning disk attached works perfectly and it gets to the desktop with the external drive showing.
    Booting with the T5 attached ends with a boot error (photo to come).

photo:
    IMG_4380.jpg

I tried an alternative power supply (a smaller one) to see if it wasn't getting enough power. With the spinning disk I get the little lightning bolt showing not enough power, with the T5 I still get the same error so I don't think it's a power issue.

I've tried both USB 3 and USB2 to no effect.

Anyone have any ideas why this would happen?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  15. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

got a usb hub to try and isolate the controller chips ?

16. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

FYI: Hitting enter just repeates that message and yes I have a hub and no it doesn't makes any difference.

17. elvis

What do the system logs say?

18. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Hi guys,
    Firstly, I am a total noob. I know nothing about Pi, programming or anything connected to those.

I'm hoping someone can help me out here.

I want to display PC stats (CPU and GPU temps. frequencies, etc) on a tiny 3.5" display. Specifically, THIS ONE.

It comes with a 180° HDMI adapter, which is in turn hooked up to a HDMI to Mini HDMI adapter into a Raspberry Pi Zero W. Specifically, THIS ONE.

I'm trying to use a ModBros setup to get the stats from my PC, using an app loaded onto my PC in combination with their custom Pi Image, which should in theory bring stats via a wireless connection to the Pi and display them. The only cables I am supposed to need are Micro USB power to both the display and the Pi.

For details of this, watch the video below and check the links in the comments for both the PC software and the Pi image. I extracted the Pi ISO with 7 zip and flashed a 16GB Micro SD card with it using Etcher before installing it into the Pi.

I've installed the PC software and it appears to work fine. However, the Pi image doesn't appear to work as it is supposed to, as far as I can tell?

The Pi boots and displays on the screen. However, it doesn't reach anywhere to allow me to configure it. I've tried downloading the image again in case it was corrupted the first time, but I just reach the same point in the boot process and nothing more happens.

I've given it like 20 minutes to boot, as they do say the Pi Zero is slower than a 'normal' Pi, but it just won't get further than the image you'll see below. I hooked the Pi up to my main monitor just to make it readable, the little screen is a bit too high def. and with my weak eyes I actually needed a magnifying glass just to read the writing so I figured it would be better to read displayed on the big screen.

If anyone is willing to download the image and examine it, or if you can make any sense of what may have gone wrong by the displayed script, I would much appreciate some advice on where I may have gone wrong, or whatever the fuck is going on here.

Here's a pic of the Pi mounted to the tiny display.

[​IMG]

And here is what is being displayed, and the point at which it stops. Keep in mind that this image a photo of my main display, connected to the Pi via HDMI, so if there is anything specific to the display that will vary from what I am seeing on the mini display.

[​IMG]

Am I doing something wrong, or is there a problem with my choice of hardware, or is the Modbros Pi image to blame? Should I have installed some other OS before the Modbros image? I get the impression that its supposed to be a complete OS of sorts, and I would have thought that flashing the SD card with their image would make that a certainty?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  19. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Pi zero and Pi 3 use different arm soc's. it might just be the image isnt made for Pi zero's

20. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

OK, sounds plausible. They do however actually recommend the use of a Pi Zero W. This is going to be an interesting journey :lol: