The 'Raspberry Pi' thread

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by HyRax1, May 8, 2011.

1. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

OK, sorry i didnt look at the step by step. i just saw the youtube link to a pi3

i'll burn one up tomorrow if no one else beats me to it

2. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Ratzz

upload_2019-11-10_10-8-45.png

Took less than three minutes to boot (on a Pi4) and present the slash screen (via hdmi on the Pi)
    i joined the wifi connection and got the above screen on my mobile phone.

i didnt take it any further as i figure it's working OK here, so the issue is in your setup, or its just going to take a long time as the zero is much slower than the 4.
    how long did you wait on first boot ?
    it has to setup a few things and move some things around. this will take a while on a zero.
    is your uSD card OK ? try a different card, i'm not running anything fancy, its a16gb Kingston

3. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Dunno if the Micro SD card is OK or not, I can only assume so. I bought a Verbatim 16GB brand new for the purpose. Not the fanciest of cards but surely up to the task? I actually bought it specifically because it came with a USB adapter rather than the usual SD card adapter, since I don't even own a card reader at the moment that I can find. The old laptop doesn't have an inbuilt card reader, so I cheaped out thinking the USB adapter was a pretty cool idea rather than investing in a card reader I would never get around to using for anything else.

Etcher appeared to have no problem seeing, flashing and verifying the file onto the Micro SD card via the USB adapter.

I waited a good 20 minutes, several times, for the Pi to boot but it never got past the code pictured in my screenshot. Even tried downloading the software and reflashing the card a couple of times, just in case something was corrupted.

I think the ModBros have misled me in my choice of the Pi Zero (either that or there is a second version of the software I'm not seeing on their website), and as it was the cheaper option and its strictly for a single purpose, of course I believed them and went for the cheaper option.

I'm waiting for a response to an email I've sent them outlining the problem.

Interesting that you had no issues on a Pi4. I think what I may do, even before waiting for a ModBros response ("keep in mind that we all have day jobs and do this in our spare time") is pick up a Pi4 and see how I go with that. I can always repurpose the Zero as a weather sensor or something I guess. That will be a challenge for my noobness, and an wifi battery operated outdoor temp sensor is something that would appeal to me, so all would not be lost. Incorporating that into the PC stats software would be something of a challenge for me too, not entirely a bad thing.

How do you enter the details on the Pi end of the software? Does it get accessed via wifi and the computer end of the software?

I'm hoping I can change the resolution on the display, in retrospect the 'high' def 800x480 of the display may be an issue, given that I need a bloody magnifying glass to read the writing on the display :lol: It wasn't until I had the thing in my hand that I realised just how small a 3.5" display is, I should have gone with a 5" one I guess.. although this size is perfect to fit in the build. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it, hopefully the software itself will compensate with larger text than the OS script.

A slightly unrelated question.. I know I can get a Pi with GPIO pins attached, I could of course even have got the Zero with GPIO pins preinstalled but I though the HDMI solution looked fine so I just (again, cheaping out) got the version with no GPIO pins intending to use the HDMI. This works fine, although the need for the HDMI to Mini HDMI adapter is a bit clunky.

It does occur to me though that GPIO would be a more elegant solution, and also makes me wonder if I could use a single Micro USB cable for power if I used the GPIO setup for display power rather than the pair of cables (one for the PI, one for the display) I need for the current setup? I don't see how the GPIO is supposed to connect to the display though? Image of the underside of the display below.. are those sockets intended to connect to the GPIO pins?

If so, are all the GPIO pins on all Pi's standardised electrically so there is no issue with the sockets being in the wrong places, regardless of which Pi I buy?

I did read the section where it mentioned a bit of extra code would be needed if I planned to use the GPIO, which as a total noob I was trying to avoid (another reason I didn't buy a version with GPIO preinstalled), but how hard can it be? :lol: Part of this whole exercise is my attempt to use my ever decreasing brain function so I might at least have a go, I always have google and you kind folk to fall back in if it all goes pear shaped :thumbup:

[​IMG]

4. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

i only mentioned it because some of the sandisk knockoff cards say a bigger size but are only 2 gb or something like that
    download the normal raspbian image (for zero's) and see if that works with the display

So its not time then

likely they have made a change on the image and it's preventing the zero from working. it'll be an easy fix for the coder

[QUOTE"]are those sockets intended to connect to the GPIO pins?[/QUOTE]
    upload_2019-11-10_21-1-27.png

it's likely (but i havent broken out the schematic of the board to actually check) that the 4 pins on the left will be power, eight on the right will be the display signal
    you might of got some pin headers (?) with the zero. Its trivial to solder them on if you go that way

the very first Pi's were different pinout

you can still plug them in out of sequence, like one or two pins to the right or left. or worse still offset the pins front to back and put 5 v into a place where it only wants 3.3 v.
    chances of fucking up are somewhat slim though, just look at it and check before applying power

wont be hard, just follow the distructions :)

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    Ratzz likes this.
  5. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

$60 for a basic pi 4. By the time you get a power supply and a case you are about $100, at which point you could simply get an older NUC. Pi has become far too expensive.

6. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

If you want a desktop PC to run Linux, sure. But that's not really what a Pi is for.

The flexibility of a Raspberry Pi lies in the exposed GPIO pins, which a NUC doesn't have.

7. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Pi's havent changed price though. the Pi 4 is great value for money if your money isnt at a shit exchange rate
    and the aussie dollar is rather crap right now

8. shredder

shredder Member

Ratzz try burning the Pi image using Rufus instead of Etcher. Bootable images can be fussy in different ways with different operating systems, and while Etcher has very few editable options, Rufus is the de rigeur Windows geek's tool for burning various bootable images, with more versatility.

9. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Cool, I'll try that in the morning :thumbup:

10. millsy

millsy Member

I mean a pi 4 is what, ~7-8W at load, a NUC is more like 25. Horses for courses, if you need a NUC's power, a NUC is of course going to be better value :)

11. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I've been having some issues with Eva's PC (she is now on Ubuntu whether she likes it or not :lol:) so I haven't had a chance to try Rufus and sort this out. I certainly will though.

Thus far this is the only reply I've had in the ModBros comments..
    to which I replied
    and linked them to my first post here about this little project, with the images I posted. I'm waiting for a further response.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  12. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Next reply from ModBros :
    Although it takes them some time to reply, they certainly seem to be helpful, particularly since this is free software and I'm not buying hardware from them either (not sure if they actually sell anything, soft or hard).

I'll see if they provide me with a new image as promised.
    I still haven't tried flashing it with Rufus instead of Etcher, too many other things happening right now, no time.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  13. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

have you had any other distro work on the pi zero ?

14. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I haven't tried. However, the Modbros came through with a new image which actually works! I used Etcher again to do the flashing. Software boots up in about 60 seconds.
    So I got to set up the network. Discovered that the Pi Zero only has 2.4 GHz, so I had to switch my PC from 5GHz to 2.4GHz.

Now I get a new message though. The software looks for the installation on the PC to connect to. The new message says 'Bummer. Can't find the Mobro installation on the network. Please check you have installed the software on your PC correctly, and that your PC is on the same network as the Pi. We'll keep trying periodically' (words to that effect). I've checked and all is installed correctly, network is fine. I've asked them for more help, they've been great so far. Chuffed that the Pi Zero appears to be working as intended, I can see light at the end of the tunnel. Looking forward to seeing it all working!!

shredder likes this.
  15. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I haven't tried. However, the Modbros came through with a new image which actually works! I used Etcher again to do the flashing. Software boots up in about 60 seconds.
    So I got to set up the network. Discovered that the Pi Zero only has 2.4 GHz, so I had to switch my PC from 5GHz to 2.4GHz.

Now I get a new message though. The software looks for the installation on the PC to connect to. The new message says 'Bummer. Can't find the Mobro installation on the network. Please check you have installed the software on your PC correctly, and that your PC is on the same network as the Pi. We'll keep trying periodically' (words to that effect). I've checked and all is installed correctly, network is fine. I've asked them for more help, they've been great so far. Chuffed that the Pi Zero appears to be working as intended, I can see light at the end of the tunnel. Looking forward to seeing it all working!!

EDIT: fired it up again to take a pic to show you, and it connected !! Now displays stats. However, its stopped seeing the GPU stats, which it did show before on the PC side of the installation. It doesn't show GPU stats on either the PC or the Pi now. It is however displaying RAM stats, which it doesn't do on the PC side...
    I'm also having trouble with the screen. I've definitely gone the wrong direction in getting a high res display. Its just too bloody small :lol:

All teething problems, to be expected I guess. Chuffed that I have it working, kinda, though.

IMG_20191113_010452.jpg

Thinking about replacing the little screen with a 5" with lower resolution, to make it easier to read. Specifically THIS ONE. The search included GPIO input, I'm going to add GPIO headers to the Pi Zero so I can power the screen via GPIO and lose the extra power cable.

Anyone interested in buying a high def IPS 3.5" screen? GPIO and HDMI connectivity.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    MUTMAN likes this.
  16. ormus

ormus Member

How much can you get a new NUC for?
    I thought they were several hundred dollars.

17. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

J1900 Chinese "NUC" start around $120 with no SSD.

MUTMAN likes this.
  18. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

To be fair you can get the craptacular orange pi for a lot less than a genuine rasp pi too.

It just depends what you want right ?

19. millsy

millsy Member

Yup, horses for courses :)

I personally think that forcing people to be a bit clever with how they're allocating resources is worthwhile too instead of just throwing more at it.

MUTMAN likes this.
  20. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Unhelpful rant of the day: nobody is "burning" anything. These are not optical devices nor EEPROM chips.

I wish these tools would use a better word for writing a raw byte stream to writable media.