The 'Raspberry Pi' thread

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by HyRax1, May 8, 2011.

1. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

1872 * 1404 * 4 bits (16 greys) = 10 megabits...I'd say it's entirely plausible for this to implement a dual or even triple framebuffer with change detection, especially if it reports a low refresh rate to begin with (the store page includes a modeline that looks like 45 Hz, which seems unnecessarily high, but I suppose it's easier to design around a known framerate and they had to pick something)

2. grrrr

grrrr Member

Its a shame your struggling. I started maybe 12 months ago... and now have: the garage, 8 light switches (most dimmable), 3 globes, a few GPOs, one with power monitoring, Roborock vaccum cleaner, the 3d Printer via octoprint, 4 ACs, 5 ceiling fans, and device tracking via the recent app. I have bench tested IR blaster and Bruh multisensor. Just need to buy more stuff and print enclosures for the last 2..

I started off small and worked on different things here and there...

3. millsy

millsy Member

Unfortunately my first project is a custom tasmota integration with mosquito MQTT interfacing which is not exactly as simple as I was hoping it to be.

Don't really wanna rely on chinacloud (tm) to run my gizmos, especially given how gosh darn laggy the whole thing is.

4. grrrr

grrrr Member

What do you mean by a custom tasmota integration?
    I tasmota all the purchased wall switches etc. I only have 1 switch with any rules in Tasmota. The dimmers have some settings set in the console.

Anything custom - (D1 Mini boards with IO) - I use ESPHome. Then you don't have to anything with the MQTT.

5. millsy

millsy Member

Was only custom at the time as nobody seemed to have made the templates etc. for the bulbs and home assistant side of things, however I turned out to be wrong which was good!

Mostly got it going now, just need to finish migrating stuff off tuya

grrrr likes this.
  6. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Since we are talking home automation/security camera or any home automation that needs to phone home, segment your network and do not allow interweb access for these devices.

cvidler and elvis like this.
  7. millsy

millsy Member

Man and here I was exposign it to the web without firewalling

GumbyNoTalent likes this.
  8. millsy

millsy Member

In all seriousness the best part of running the on prem mosquitto server and tasmoto firmware on my lights is that I can completely isolate the vlan with the bulbs from the net as it's no longer needing to phone home, as 'home' is my home :)

9. grrrr

grrrr Member

and then the hard part is getting google to talk to your home ;)

10. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

11. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I've given up on using my Pi for CPU/Temp stats. Its a nice little screen though, I don't want to waste it. Its an 800x480 IPS 3.5" touchscreen.

I'm considering getting down and dirty and learning to write my own script, just as a challenge for myself really. It occurred to me.. can I use it instead of buttons?

Obviously I'd need some relays or something to achieve this, and I'd need to learn some scripting either to roll my own or adapt someone else's script, but I'm thinking of doing something like the image below.

I would probably change the layout and even features, but in general, is this doable and what extra stuff would I need? I'm guessing my first purchase would be a Pi 4 and some relays, I can't see my Pi Zero W being up to the task?

[​IMG]

12. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Pi Zero will be more than up to the job! With a more modest screen you could make this work on an $0.80 microcontroller, the Pi Zero is luxury by comparison.

Most of those things don't really need relays, but a relay is a pretty foolproof substitution for a switch so sure, it'll work.

You shouldn't try to source enough current to drive a relay coil directly from a Pi GPIO - it probably won't work, and it could damage the SOC. Much better to switch a transistor to drive the relay - if you Google for "drive relay from Raspberry Pi" you'll find heaps of stuff including pre-build modules for the job on eBay.

Ratzz likes this.
  13. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

128 x 128 pixels enough?

I have been using these hats with success.
    [​IMG]
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32897838543.html

14. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

nice little screen. i've got a 0.96" 128x64 oled on an arduino. amazing clarity at such a fine dot pitch.
    Ratzz already has a screen and is looking for a project to do some piggybacking/cut n paste
    though

15. AfterBurner1

AfterBurner1 Member

Anyone seen some ripping deals on the 4GB Model B+ Pi 4?

HuggyBear likes this.
  16. kogi

kogi Member

17. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    MUTMAN, millsy and elvis like this.